It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here we go again! Gas hike on the way

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Another word of warning for those wanting to avoid the next gas price hike... same source as before, this one for Thursday, May 22, 2008 and Friday, May 23, 2008.

Diesel prices are to take another 8-cent hike Thursday and a 14-cent hike on Friday. Expect gasoline to jump accordingly. Even worse, this time there's no mention of a price drop afterwards, although the last info on a drop sorta left a little to be desired (like truth) anyway.

As always, no guarantees, but last time it seemed to help a few folks, so I'm posting this one as well.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

The prices go up tomorrow? Bit of a late warning, eh?

I kid. Seriously though, it doesn't seem as if gas prices will ever tangibly decrease. I'm really glad I drive a tiny compact, I still manage to get around for $20-25 a week. I feel really sorry for anyone who has to drive a bigger car or truck for occupational/family reasons.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
We are experiencing bruntness in Lansing, Michigan right now. Prices are crazily flucuating between $4.00-$3.81...it's driving (no pun intended) everyone nuts. Our auto industry is steeply failing and I'm personally, scarily biding time until those laid-off workers to start blowing up gas stations around here. It's really hard to find another job when you can't fuel your severenced car up...
anothermous

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Oh well, we just wont eat.

The grocery allowance can pay for gas hikes, and once a month steal from the grocery money to buy luxuries such as medicines.

Its a great place we are all at ! And nobody does a darn thing about it.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Gas has gone up 5 cents a day here in the DC area. I'm noticing the prices every morning on the way to work. I'm pretty sure we'll hit $4 a gallon by the weekend.

Gas is going up. Housing prices have gone down. Food prices are going up.

I can guarantee that area companies will not be giving "cost of living" raises to meet these changes.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Hi redneck, here in west aussie, its just hit $1.60 per litre, and no, its not coming down. The only thing I can see at the end of all this is war.Oil war.Every single item in every shop is reliant on oil, everything we do. People are starting to wake up from their slumber, but i'm afraid its probably too late. The price of oil is going to jump by $5 at a time, then $10 etc. Nothing can stop the price rising.Because of fear and greed, shareholders forcing companies to keep on making profits, the big crash will come just like that.Like a bat out of hell.Snap your fingers.bang.Its happening allready, with groceries and fuel starting to become out of reach.The things we need.The time when its to expensive to go to work is coming.What are they going to do then?Without oil, a modern army cant operate very effectively, I wonder if the west is being choked? If you took all of todays happenings and put them in a book, it would be a best seller. The trouble is, its really happening. They said it would, so its no supprise.Some people need a slap in the face before they snap out of it.Well, I reckon we are all getting slapped right now.Business is not good.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe
Well, I do what i can... twice now I have attempted to warn people, when I found out about a spike coming.

Yeah, I know that's not what you meant. But my point is that we have to do for ourselves this time. Things will change, gasoline will come back down compared to wages, food will do the same, although it may be some time before it happens. In the meantime, while lobbying for political help is of course an option, the real solution is to look at what it is you have as opposed to what it is you need. What you have is more than a laundry list of what's sitting in your cupboard; rather it includes your skills, your abilities, your talents, even your time. We all have something we can use to survive.

I would hope that as times continue to get tougher, people will look at their blessings as a way to help others who are being hurt worse. When was the last time anyone here took food to the crazy guy down the street? When was the last time you gave someone sitting hopelessly by the side of the road a pair of used jeans that you never wear anymore?

We must stop looking to those who refuse to help and become those who help. I'll continue to let folks here know as I find out if prices are scheduled for another jump. It's precious little, but it's something. And every journey begins with a single step.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Redeck,

MSNBC is projecting $12-$15/ gallon fairly soon. There is no way those bloodsucking oil barons can continue to get away with this.

WTH do people do? I have no public transportation and everything is far.
Its just not going to work out, not even for the rich. I'm seriously considering making a move I just cant deal with this anymore. My whole family is scattered now all over the US, and if i dont get out to them soon, i'm afraid i'll never see them again.

I mean this is past the point of any hope at all, and i'm sick over it.
My husband works 20 miles from home- WTH do we do?

Consider these the good old days, i guess.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe
dg, you are breaking my heart, and there is no sarcasm in that statement. I really mean it; I feel so badly for you and wish there was some way I could help.

A few suggestions, but they may or may not apply to you, because I obviously don't know your situation in any but the broadest sense:

Carpool to town with neighbors once a week. Split the gas cost.

Buy groceries in bulk when you can, and store them. If you're careful, maybe you can build up a small reserve. Don't ignore the roadside stands or farmers' markets; no need to pay a salary for a middleman.

Have your husband look into something cheaper for his transportation. Maybe a smaller car, even if it has a few problems, or a motorcycle. Maybe a carpool? Point out to the other people involved how much it would save. They are probably hurting too. Maybe telecommute? I realize that's not feasible in most jobs, but in some it is.

GROW A GARDEN! Even a small one. If you're that far from anything, you probably have enough land. And don't think modern, think old. You can make fertilizer yourself from things you probably throw away... grass clippings, animal waste, even ashes from burning wood brush. Around here, no one goes hungry during the summer, as someone always has a few bushels of extra food from their garden that gets passed around amongst the neighborhood.

Get in touch with a church or charity that helps people out when they need it. You'd be surprised how many are out there, but they usually don't get many requests. If you don't like charity, then offer to give back something in return. Money is only a medium of exchange, not the final authority for value. Time can be more valuable than money.

Ignore those doom and gloomers at MSNBC. They've been lying to the people for so long, even they don't know what's real. You'll get better info from some guy with long hair and a ratty beard eating greasy food in the local truck stop.

Above all else, DO NOT LOSE HOPE! This is a waiting game, a test to see how much can be sucked out of the economy before it collapses. It will collapse, and those who have friends and neighbors who help, those who can provide something they need, will survive and emerge victorious on the other side. Life is hard, but change is inevitable.

TheRedneck

[edit on 22-5-2008 by TheRedneck]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Redeck,

MSNBC is projecting $12-$15/ gallon fairly soon.

[/quote

dgtempe could you please post a link to that statement? As everyday goes by I start getting more and more worried. 2 years ago when we bought our first house There was just enough left over for everything else. Now that gas prices are through the roof there just isn't enough to pay the rest of the bills. It is getting ridiculous! I live 25 miles from work and it costs me a whole car payment everymonth to just put gas in!!!

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by iggster

dgtempe could you please post a link to that statement?

I'm not dgtempe but here is the link to the $12 a gallon statement.

This is just getting rediculous. I have to drive around the city for my job, and I'm barely able to justify the gas costs to my paycheck right now.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I know exactly how you feel dgtempe.

My job was also about 20 miles from my house also. Luckily I had an out. My company had a layoff back in January. I saw the writing on the wall and decided to take it. Otherwise, the Dodge Ram HEMI I bought back when gas was around $1.50 a gallon would be KILLING me now. Now I work out of the house and the back yard making aluminum yard art. I rarely drive my truck further than 4 or 5 miles at a time. Filling my truck up back then was bad. Filling it up now would be just unimaginable.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Redneck,

I dont want you to feel badly. That'snot why i posted, i hate pitty parties
but i heard that we will go as high as $15 a gallon and i just started crying. You're a good person and i know you have been very helpful giving us as much information as you find out.
I guess we wil have to make the best of a bad situation, i'm just not sure how.

Anyway, Bless you for being such a good soul.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Tuesday our regular gas was $3.78.9, Wednesday, regular gas was $3.88.9, today, Thursday, regular gas is $3.98.9. I told my sister to gas up on Tuesday because logic tells me gas will be at the $4.00 a gallon mark the day before the holiday weekend starts to catch travelers by there pockets.

She failed to listen for 1 car. She filled her ford expedition up on Tuesday and slacked off on filling her PT cruiser till thursday. Oh the pain........

Wanna throw this in.. Bush wanted the saudis to boost production and cap cost. They refused and the word has it they are punishing the americans because they know bush is soon going to attack IRAN.

[edit on 22-5-2008 by Peepers]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Peepers
The word I am hearing is that OPEC (and the other producers as well) are not charging any more for their oil than they did before, in terms of real value. If you calculate in the falling value of the dollar, the price of oil paid to the producers is pretty stable.

The problem is the speculation. When a barrel of oil is bought and sold several times before it ever sees a refinery, it drives the cost up. And since the dollar is dropping like a rock, it takes more dollars to do the same thing they would do just a couple of months ago.

I'll admit that Bush made another pretty pathetic showing though. Following a sheik around like a puppy, begging for scraps. How disgusting!

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
maybe we shouldn't have made fun of chney all those times. what if it were his idea to have our oil companies set up shop in saudi to buy the oil and then sell it to us at an inflated profit. that would explain the billion dollar profits the oil companies boast. i know that sounds crazy but i don't know how much longer i can handle my depressed feelings. i'm on a fixed income. i can't afford to get my car fixed, my home needs some minor repair, i'd like to take my wife out but we still need to pay utilities buy meds and eat. i'll admit...if i had millions or billions of dollars, i would be less depressed.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
today is july 31, 2008. exxon just posted an 11.7 Billion dollar profit. john mccaine wants to o.k. off-shore drilling for oil. obamma doesn't. i don't know if it would make any difference. would exxon end up with the freedom to do the drilling? will the federal government tell exxon what they can charge for fuel? president reagan would have. wikopedia list dozens of refineries, many of them here in the U.S.A. how about letting the smaller refineries in on the profits. i guess if you own stock in exxon, this is a dumb idea. i don't think a refinery in illinois would raise the price of fuel because a hurricane was brewing somewhere in the ocean.

new topics

top topics

join