It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plague of Locusts Descends on Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Plague of Locusts Descend on Afghanistan

visz.rsoe.hu

Afghan authorities are examining the extent of an unprecedented locust infestation that has prompted local officials in some areas to offer wheat as a reward to residents for killing the insects.

Some 300 tonnes of locusts have been killed by people in the northwestern province of Badghis alone in recent weeks.

Local officials in Badghis and neighboring Herat have promised residents 7 kgs (15 lbs) of wheat in return for killing 1 kg of locusts, amid a global surge in food prices that has hit Afghanistan hard
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.alertnet.org
www.enn.com
www.iwpr.net

[edit on 21-5-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
As stated in the report this event is catastrophic to the Afghanis, with the current War, global food shortages and Inflationary Prices.

My heart truly goes out to Asia now,
and I hope that this will not be whitewashed out by the mainstream media.

Truly a Continent in Crisis!

Elf

visz.rsoe.hu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
In the mid-seventies hee in our midwest, we had the same thing happen. Grasshopper invasion and destruction of crops. Not as bad as Afganistan but this does happen with the right environmental circumstances.

Zindo

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

you're starving and begging for food.

eat the damn things!

mmm locust smoothie.

-

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Such an incredible swarm of locusts in such a short period of time.

I'm curious as to whether there may have been foul play here.

Someone with expertise in this field, can you tell me if Locusts readily feed on Poppy or other drug related plants?

I know the drug crops have been an issue in Afghanistan for some time, I'm wondering if the locusts were intentionally planted to destroy these crops out of frustration.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Locusts and Grasshoppers do this type of mega-hatching every so often. I think its about every eight years if I can remember. Depends on moisture and heat cycles. Any country with an arid climate is at risk. When this happened in our midwest EKSC in Emporia, Kansas or KU not sure which now, did a full study for the state and its they're data I read.

Zindo

new topics

top topics

join