It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget About Food Shortages-Seed Shortages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I don't know if this is nation wide, but where I live they are rationing the about of rice you can buy in the stores. I believe it's 80 pounds of rice a month. Which is fine for small families. They have been rationing the rice in grocery stores as well as wholesale food stores, which is hurting small, Mom & Pop restaurants. They started doing this a month back.

I was reading on one of my gardening forums, getting ready to plant the garden this weekend. They said that there are now seed shortages because so many people are turning to gardening because of the rising cost of food prices! Places have sold out of seeds far faster than ever expected.

What's next?!

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I haven't really experienced the rice shortages or limits, nor the seed shortage either, but I did see a news report a few days ago that said this year there was a substantial increase in the purchasing of seeds and home gardening products. They cited Home Depot and some plant nursery somewhere (can't remember). I think it was the news bit was on one of those financial channels too.

I hope that we don't see an artificial rise in seed prices simply because of non gardeners trying to stock up. Hopefully they're buying heirloom quality seeds that they can save for themselves in the future without having to buy again.

Edit to add entire words I missed typing

[edit on 5-21-2008 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
On one of the gardening forums I frequent, there was a farmer trying to acquire heirloom seeds in large quantities. Monsanto controls the vast majority of the seed market. Most farmers use hybrids (directly or indirectly through Monsanto) because of disease and / or pest resistance as well as faster ripening or other desirable traits.

Personally ,this year will be the most heirlooms I've ever grown.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Being able to FIND heirloom seeds for purchase is a problem already.
I am a gardener.....and for at least 10 years the seeds out for sale are NOT heirloom seeds but GM. You have to get help from store personnel to even locate heirloom seeds. Sometimes the garden store does not even HAVE any heirloom seeds.

The sad thing about buying seeds and storing them for the future is seeds go stale just like any vegetable does.....if you do NOT package up your seeds for perma storage, the seeds your putting away this year will do you no good at all 4 years from now as they will have died.
If your trying to STORE seeds they need to be canned.......as in placed a stasis to keep them from rotting...keep them in a vacuum space and out of the air..(I believe freezing them kills them)........people that are not aware of this will be very sad indeed when all the seeds they bought and then shelved in the back of the pantry never germinate.

Lots of work to planting a garden to have NOTHING grow......

Seeds are ALIVE....like a live yeast....and only live so long without placing them in a state 'prepped for storage'.........people are just buying them and not prepping them and are actually WASTING seeds that other folks could have actually grown.

[edit on 21-5-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
A friend of mine uses wild rice in his sushi bar and in a newspaper interview he slipped up and said the grocery supply truck could only supply him for 6 more weeks. I have tried to find the special violet purple rice he uses for him but couldn't. he will need to adapt or switch to bento with small amounts of white.

I feel like he might be in real trouble with a new sushi bar, and high end sushi menu....

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Home Depot and Lowes both carry a brand of seeds (larger packets) that are marked "heirloom". They cost more than the other seed packets, almost $2 more than usual $1-$2 range of the others.

I know it won't solve all issues with shortages, but I highly recommend learning to propogate plants from cuttings. I've started several herbs plants for my relatives from cuttings. Just get a good rooting hormones and a seed starting mix, and recycle old containers and you can have a relatively "cheap" garden.

[edit on 5-22-2008 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Important thread.

Glad to see it.

Ever wonder why they are storing seeds in the Doomsday Vault?

They know what's coming down. Massive food shortages because
engineered seeds are sterile.

To produce a good seed takes generations of plants, crop rotation, etc.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to stock up on natural seeds, IMO.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
You can bet that there will be a seed shortage. Doesn't make much sense to create a false oil shortage, to create a false food shortage, and then let people grown their own food.

Codex Alimentarius (Mandate That Will Starve 3 Billion People to be In Place by 12/31/09)

Revelations of Big Oil Chaplain Lindsey Williams...You Pay National Debt at the Pump

[edit on 5/22/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The seed vault is very interesting, I highly doubt they are storing GMO seeds there, in fact, the seed diversity is probably more important to the seed vault then the actual amount of seeds.

The location of the seed vault and the investors in it are also very telling to me. I read an online artical that 95% of all seeds are now controlled by 5 corporations. (Monsanto, Dow, Dupont) are all I remember and I cant find the aritcal again.

Not too many people seem to care about any of this, they think they are secure in haveing 'good investments' or money in the bank then food to eat. We live in very backwards times...

Do bearer bonds taste like chicken?

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
80 pounds of rice, is...A LOT of rice, that is not even a shortage...anyhow, we don't have an seed shortages around here, we are planting a garden and there are plenty of seeds at the local co-ops. Anyone in a business should be smart enough to buy rice wholesale, instead of these factory outlets like Sam's Club and Costco.

[edit on 23-5-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
There are no purchase limits were I live in Southern CA. If there was, I would just go and buy the limit at each of the 10 stores that sell rice in my area.

The supply crunch was due to some countries stopping or limiting their rice exports and to a smaller degree, stock piling by a growing number of apocalypse believers.

The market will adjust over the next growing season as growers adjust their yields to support the market.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I harvested 1 cup of collard green seeds last week from 1 small seed packet purchased last year... not to mention all the collard greens we've eaten. I have lunch box sized watermelon growing 3rd generation and a galvanized tub of pepper seedlings growing from collected pepper seeds from last year.

A little tidbit for you... 60' x 60' (20m x 20m) will yield 50lbs of rice in 120 days on a 1 lb of seed.

I have a circle of friends... each of us grows something different... and we share harvests and seeds. I'm kicking butt on greens this year; pak choi, turnips, red lettuce, brussel sprouts, mustard, etc. This was also the first major harvest year for my mulberry trees... they're about 6 years old. I live and grow in downtown america... my favorite is dropping seeds near corporate sprinkler systems... especially near banks. Over grow 'em... plant on vacant lots... think about it; if you plant one peach tree on each vacant city lot in your area... one of them will feed your family.

There are a plethora of seed catalogue companies online that will send you a free seed catalogue, to your door... Jung, Burpee, Shumways, Territorial, Vermont Bean, Pinetree Garden, Park, Vernon Barnes, Johnny's Select, Richters, etc. Check your local NURSERY... NOT the nursery department at HOME DEPOT or LOWES... and you'd be surprised what bulk seeds you can purchase from the local nursery by the OZ. I just picked up 4 clusters of dividing onions yesterday for $4. I was able to plant out a 20' row spaced every 3 inches once divided.

in abundance,

Sri Oracle

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm doing ok on purchasing seeds here in N/W Arizona.
If something is missing in your area I could probably pass on factory sealed seed packets or partially used seed packets dated for this year.

I hit the garden depts at Home Depot and Wally World every time I'm in there.

Looks like both stores have had three or four shipments of seeds come in and at least three shipments of plants come in.

Although, yesterday, Wally Worlds veggie seeds were a bit picked over on tomatoes, but most everything else was available.

Fwiw, I've been starting Sweetie Cherry Tomatoes in a big pot, replanting 2-3 of them into medium size pots and passing them on to friends.

One way to get other folks interested in gardening.

Looks like my experiment in planting cooking beans - Great Northerns - from the market may have failed.
I think part of it due to the seeds floated up and out when watered.
Buoyant little guys they are.

Going to try again, I have a lot of empty pots and am having success starting seeds outside using 100% Miracle-Gro in the pots.

Thinking about trying to start a lime tree from seed in a container.
This is not a good area for them, but my friends in a slightly more temperate - just barely - environment are doing well with several lime trees close to the house and cut like a hedge.

They call it a Corona bush....

[edit on 26-5-2008 by Desert Dawg]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Don't know if you can grow a lime tree from a store-bought lime (most stuff now is irradiated, treated with chemicals and is GM). But I bet if you got a seed from your neighbor it probably would work.
But the beans from the store, I don't think they will germinate.

There are many seed exchange groups online, just google seed exchange. There are also many gardening forums and some specialize just in one or two particular items such as peonies.

Sunflowers are easy and fun to grow and the seeds provide good protein for the body. They come in all shapes and sizes now. Also you can just leave the sunflowers and in the winter the birds will enjoy them. It's a good, cheap way to feed the birds if you like doing that. Also, if you buy a huge bag of sunflower seeds for birds, you can plant those and they will grow just fine.

You can also ask the older gardeners in your neighborhood for some heirloom seeds, oftentimes they are happy to share and you can get some old heirloom varieties that are hard to find but do well in your area.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg

Thinking about trying to start a lime tree from seed in a container.
This is not a good area for them, but my friends in a slightly more temperate - just barely - environment are doing well with several lime trees close to the house and cut like a hedge.

They call it a Corona bush....

forums.gardenweb.com...

You should be able to grow citrus from a seed. I suggest Christmas lights on your tree to help it through cold weather.

Sri Oracle

new topics

join