It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a name for the 'universe'?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I have asked around alot and have never really found an answer to the this question! Is there a name for the 'universe'? Can anyone really name the universe? Does anyone have the right to name it? give me some feedback!

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tpeele

Good questions. I would assume that since there is only one of them, we are probably safe calling it home.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by garyo1954

hmm......very good assumption except it is not only our home....so we can not really call it home for us....

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I tend to call it, well, the Universe. It has a nice catchy ring to it I think.

Really, what better name is there? Universe means only one thing, which is everything. Rather fitting I think.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
maybe we should come up with a name for it then......

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I say we call it the...
"Universal Universarium"...

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Some call it....

"God"

I just call it wonderful. But something like "Henry" or "Frank" would work too. It is arbitrary really.

edit: spelling is off tonight

[edit on 21-5-2008 by Ionized]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
There are actually some websites that have posted "name our Universe" threads and pages. I dont think many people outside of the regulars to those actual pages got involved because none of the pages and threads showed much activity.

I am sure that some far more advanced scientist on a planet in a distant or alter universe has seen our little marble of space and given it some creative and astonishing Alpha-Numeric scientific designation, as well as all of the galaxies and planets within.

I think it would be cool if some reputable scientific organization would actually stretch out and try to organize a global naming contest. The country that came up with the best name through a great process of explaination would get the global recognition. By that time, hopefully we would be able to at least communicate with other planetary beings and start a true universal dialog to name the universe and the galaxy that came up with the acceptable name would get like the cure for "everything".

Til then, I just call it "Bob".

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I think i heard something about physicists saying that our universe might be a part of many calling the whole thing a multiverse or a meta-universe as a summation of all possible realities.

en.wikipedia.org... has more info on it, I just remember seeing that on i think the universe series, it was something michio kikio? (spelling) had talked about. In that respect maybe our universe will get a new designation based on our place in that multiverse.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Don't really need a name for it unless we discover other universes and have to differentiate between them. When that happens we should call it Universe Alpha One, since it was our first universe discovered.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Ionized

Dang it! I was gonna suggest something like "Bob". Or "Sierra-Hotel-India-Tango-One". Either will work for me.

Perhaps we should ask Type 3 Civilizations. They might know.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Isn't "the universe" already the name for it?

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Isn't "the universe" already the name for it?

I'll remember this thread. If I'm ever abducted by aliens from somewhere else who ask me where I live, I'll just say 'The Big Bang.'

That should help a lot.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
If we are talking about our Galaxy the Terra Papers call it Eridanus.

If we are talking about the Universe, in which there are trillions of Galaxies, I would tend to call that "The Universe", or "our Dimension"/"The 3rd dimension"

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
all of these suggetsions are good, except the fact that one of you said something about Universe Alpha One because we were the first universe discovered, we can not really say that because we could be part of a meta-universe and might not have been the first one. For all we know Extraterrestrial life forms could have traveled all the way from a different dimension to seek life in other dimensions and coud have named our universe long before we were here. Also, to cal it Bob is ridiculous because would we want other life forms to look at us as a short-minded civilization. The intergalactic contest is not a bad idea though. Kudos to that.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by tpeele

Hahaha! "Bob" was meant to be sarcastic. But the original post of this board reminds me of Titan AE when the main character named New Earth "Bob".

Also, "Sierra-Hotel-India-Tango-One" was sarcastic. I was hoping someone got it. Oh well.

But if any of these two sarcastic suggestions are selected, then at least I can sleep well. Life shouldn't be taken too seriously.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by guppy

I know that but it still would not be a good idea!

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tpeele
all of these suggetsions are good, except the fact that one of you said something about Universe Alpha One because we were the first universe discovered, we can not really say that because we could be part of a meta-universe and might not have been the first one. .

Why would it not be the first universe WE have discovered? Is there another one we have discovered before we realized we were here in this one?

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tpeele

Choosing a funny name could be a good idea. Life is meant to be enjoyed with love and laughter.

Anyways, looking at our known universe 14 billion light years away from our galaxy, it looks like the insides of a living being:

Source: Atlas of the Universe

Perhaps we should call the universe any one of these:

- Godschild
- God's Pantry Dish
- Experiment 626
- Oops!
- Unimatrix Zero-One

Personally, I like "42". A simple name to our ever-so complex universe. After all "42" is the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

My 4 cents and 50 pesos.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

That is not was I was saying. I was saying that it might not have been discovered frist by someone(thing) else.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join