It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burma: We'd rather let people die than allow U.S. aid

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I am astounded beefcake how much my comments mirrored yours before I even had a chance to read them. America has a long history of helping out in natural disasters. Sans the genocide in Darfur. They aint got no oil.
I am sick about this.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I got it. Let the nearest aircraft carrier eat veggies for a week and drop the rest. It would be a start.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
No offence but katrina is not something that should be taken as a benchmark for world disaster , I mean it was one but the reaction to it was a classic case of bad planning and even worse implementation of that plan. I mean the evidence of how bad it was is more than evident...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Absoutely correct devilwasp. A few thousand compared to 'hundreds' of thousands pales in comparison. Good point.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
You may have heard this before but...SO WHAT.

They don't want out help, don't want them. They don't have the resource to launch any war on us.

It's is not "The White Mans Burden" to help them/control them.
If their government chooses not to allow aid so be it.
Instead of being worried about them,worry about your own country.

Stalin said before you can spread communism you must perfect it in your own country.
Im not saying we should be communism,but we should perfect out system before we try something else

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Burma was very clear they don't want our aid because 'it comes with strings' attached.'

America is a capitalist nation. American politics do things like that. Look at our history. We've bargained our way to being the only superpower in the world.

It's been that way since we traded beads for Manhatten.

[edit on 21-5-2008 by garyo1954]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DalairTheGreat

are you for real? It's not the people of Mynamar/Burma that is refusing aid, they are begging for it... it's the corrupt government of those people that is stopping the aid.

Are we supposed to just watch thousands upon thousands of people die while crying for help and do nothing because a few "dictators and generals" say they don't want our help? Where are your morals, your compassion for your fellow human being? How would you feel if that was your country and your people and your corrupt government?

I no longer wonder why we are all screwed.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The children die and the generals cry
Longing for a bowl of rice
Hunger of unkown proportion
The flies buzz about
The stench of the dead
Stinging nostrils

Fellow countries
Worry about niceties
And legalities
The dead fill the rivers
To be washed out to sea

[edit on 5/22/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

I no longer wonder why we are all screwed.

LOL.....You are getting the same message I am.

IF America was intent on helping these people, they would violate airspace and drop supplies. No question about it.

What are they afraid of, Burma bombing us?
Those dreaded Burmese suiciders?

[edit on 21-5-2008 by garyo1954]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I understand the Burmese royal navy and airforce are forces to be reckoned with. I'd laugh, if I could. I am stone cold on this.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
reply to post by bodrul

I wasn't talking about China. I was talking about GB.

Dedicating the majority of your thread to an anti-America rant isn't forgiven by a short "Oh yeah, and others" sentence at the end.

And again, you should be addressing the corrupt regime in Burma, not derailing the thread with your typical bash-America rhetoric.

Sort of sucks when two corrupt regimes clash eh?

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
So this is our new reality. 100s of thousand allowed to die by proxy. Because no one gives a damn.
Yep, a world I want to be in.
Not.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
WOW,THE US REALY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING TO CAUSE THIS PROBLEM!!!!
Heres a link of the history of the country and the crimials who have ben running it. The people don't deserve this but they sure are the victims. It looks like military dictatorship is the rule of the day. The reformers in the resistance are the reasons the Military Hunta don't want the aid. They fear that the resistance will get the food and be able to keep the resistance moving forward. Not sure of the politics of both sides but this is typical of these third world countries. Most unfortunate.

www.infoplease.com...

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This is stupid, life should be saved in anyway possible.Pride kills, this is a good example.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Zindo!!! Who gives a rats pahtoot we didn't cause this problem!!! We need to help. Period.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
What I meant was that its not usual that its not our government meddling that caused it. We do need to drop food and save the populace but I just know that if we did it, we would be the ones that caused any and all problems from then on in the minds of the US haters in this world. Should we bite the bullet and just do it....sure! I'm just kind of shell shocked by the magnitude of hate we will have to endure from then on!!

Zindo

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I know Zindo. I need to take a breath. Ramped on this. Not your fault, not our fault. But damnit, something needs done.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
There's a reason why the military dictatorship is acting the way it is.

A democracy movement has been simmering since 1988 and it's not going away anytime soon. This is, imo, what the Junta fears most of all... a peoples uprising. This August 8th will be the 20th anniversary.

Also, you need to understand who is running this show... Than Shwe. To him, cruelty to his people is the way of a 'Warrior King', which is an old tradition in Burma.

The generals ALL stand to lose in a big way if the uprising is successfull and you can bet the rank and file are just as frightened. They WILL act if there are unauthorized flights, I'm afraid and a shooting war will only kill more innocent people.

It's a stand-off and the only real hope for resolution will come from China, who the Junta admires greatly. If China were to tell them to allow aid to the needed amount, then they might relent.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I kinda realised that. It the reason I didn't try to take a bite out of your tail,LOL.
It is frustrating to know something should be done and realy have to sit idle and not be able to help. One of the many problems peace loving folks face in the endevor to make this world a better place!

Zindo

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
You NAILED it masqua. The people were percolating. The dictatorship knew they were in deep doo doo. So let the masses die instead of vote or revolt.
Precisely.
Thanks for that Zindo. Was asking for it. Roses.

[edit on 5/21/2008 by jpm1602]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join