I cant open my add - remove programs in control panel?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
You may want to go to Start > Run and type: sfc /scannow. This is System File Checker and it will scan all of your Windows OS files and replace any corrupt ones it finds.

However, it may ask for a Windows CD although I have seen it pull replacement files from the \i386 folder.

Might not hurt to run a chkdsk on your Hard Drive either. You might have OS files sitting on a bad Hard Drive sector.

As with all free computer advice, use at your own risk.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ambient Sound

Thanks I just started that and its asking for the cd... so Ive cancelled it.

And Ive ran chkdisk a few times already but I'l do it again

[edit on 05/09/2008 by P-a-r-a-d-o-X-2]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by P-a-r-a-d-o-X-2

Do the SFC again, but this time, when it asks for the CD direct it to the i386 folder on your c:\ drive.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

It doesnt let me browse for a folder it says - retry - information or - cancel.
All I can do is cancel for the files its asking for the cd for and then YES and keep on like that til it ends.. or cancel it all.. so Im skipping files but that could take ages so Ive just ended it.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Have you looked at the event viewer logs for an error after you try to open "add remove programs"? If you find the error listed you can look up the "event ID" number and explanation.

Tried this yet?

Select -> Start
Select -> Run
Type -> cmd
Type -> regsvr32 mshtml.dll
Press -> Enter
Type -> regsvr32 shdocvw.dll -I
Press -> Enter
Type -> regsvr32 shell32.dll -I
Press -> Enter
Select -> OK

Microsoft

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Funny you say that I looked at that half hour ago I couldnt see anything and Ive cleared the lists now. How long does it take to refresh and start the list again? cause if I try opening A/R now or anything else nothing is showing in event viewer.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by P-a-r-a-d-o-X-2

You can change the location SFC looks for the files by modifying the registry entry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath
. Change it to point at the C:/ directory, instead of the CD-ROM drive before you run SFC.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by P-a-r-a-d-o-X-2
How long does it take to refresh and start the list again? cause if I try opening A/R now or anything else nothing is showing in event viewer.

As far as I'm aware, the error logs are instantly modified.
There is no delay.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Nah definately a delay. Few events are showing now while Id got busy elswhere but none of those [6] in system relate to A/R. And yeah I have tried clicking A/R a few times to get an entry.

In applications its only showing a webcam program Ive just installed and tested.

Will it show in applications or system? I never get anything show in security, ever.. is that normal?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
''''''You can change the location SFC looks for the files by modifying the registry entry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath. Change it to point at the C:/ directory, instead of the CD-ROM drive before you run SFC. '''''

Ok I missed that. Will have a go.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

First one loaded but says dll register server entry point not found. [cant reg]

Second one loaded and succeeded.

Third one loaded and succeeded.

And I changed the registry to the C but its still saying the cd I supply is wrong etc..

Event viewer is only showing the cancelled files I couldnt do with checker. No clicking of A/R shows anything.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by P-a-r-a-d-o-X-2

First one loaded but says dll register server entry point not found. [cant reg]

Are you running IE7?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I have 7 but I dont use it I use firefox. Only time I use I.E is when my msn opens it to goto my hotmail.

Ive noticed if Im running a scanner then A/R will stay open for a few fractions of a second more cause the systems all slowed down.

Also... different topic, Ive never had to change the refresh rate on my monitor, flatscreen 15''.. its always been fine on 60hz.. recently I noticed I couldnt read and focus cause the text was shaking really fast giving me eyestrain.. so I changed the refresh rate to 70 or 75 and now its fine..

Just thought that weird..

Thanks for all your help anyway guys.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Ok well thanks for your help I fixed it, I have no paging file now but hopefully I'l sort that out. Im using Bigfix to download 80 relevant windows updates.. before my automatic updating wasnt working but Ive sorted it. Ive limited my component services to only start what is needed etc.. that and a couple of patches seemed to fix the A/R

top topics

<< 1   >>

join