It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Junk Power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
This guy has made a sries of youtube films on recycling junk hardware for power...the chuck/gearbox/motor assemblies from rechargeable drills/screwdrivers would make an invauable asset to be hoarded for the renewable-energy-engineer's toolbox!

Recycling drills and hard drives for generators (part 1)

My initial design ideas using these would be to build a wind/hydro power wheel using a spare mountainbike wheel and mount several of these drill-generators positioned around the perimeter (much like the old-style friction bike-light dynamos) using the same principle.

If you could imagine the base of a vertical-axis wind-turbine being mounted to a bike wheel and the chucks with small rubber-wheels rotated like a 'planetary' gear system by being rotated by friction against a far larger wheel, that would enable the chuck of the drill-mechanism to rotate far faster owing to the rotaion-ratio of a large 24" bike wheel against a 2" generator wheel mounted on a shaft and locked in the chucks jaws

...and here's the rest of the recycle tech series covering hard-drives in particular

Recycling drills and hard drives for generators (part 2)

Recycling drills and hard drives for generators (part 3)

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Thanks for the vids Citizen Smith this stuff is gold for young up 'n coming engineers like myself. I've built a few small generators using bits and bobs round the house but never thought of using a comp hard drive (damn just threw one out two weeks ago!)

I bet you could make a meen little generator with the quality components in them, thats definetly a project for the near future thanks again!

Starred

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Solars cool for cats but wind could be a real boon, especially in the windy times, cause when the wind comes the suns usually behind cloud

One power source can take over from another!

Nows the time for a few of us to become aware to these ways of generating power.
Any person who can make it happen will be a real asset to a team.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
We have more than our fair-share of the EU 'wind-quota' here in the UK so it makes sense to use lo-tech recycled-mechanical methods to harness that power for an encampment.

I'm still at the early stages of learning about low-voltage DC systems but that first vid changed my plans of attempting to cast my own stator/rotor assembly that I've seen, mostly using car brake hubs and neodymium magnets, for multiple scavenged 'chuck generators' instead

new topics

top topics

join