It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland tops list of peaceful nations, U.S. 97th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Iceland tops list of peaceful nations, U.S. 97th

www.rawstory.com

Iceland is the world's most peaceful nation while the United States is ranked among the bottom third, according to a study released on Tuesday.

The "Global Peace Index," compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit, ranked the United States 97th out of 140 countries according to how peaceful they were domestically and how they interacted with the outside world.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I just found this interesting and thought others might as well. Pretty sad being #97 out of 140, especially when:

More than one in 100 adults in the United States is in jail or prison, an all-time high that is costing state governments nearly $50 billion a year and the federal government $5 billion more...

With more than 2.3 million people behind bars, the United States leads the world in both the number and percentage of residents it incarcerates, leaving far-more-populous China a distant second...

SRC: www.washingtonpost.com...

Disturbing?...Huh...that doesn't say the half of it.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Whats more disturbing is that Switzerland is not on the top 10. Switzerland is a warmongering and crime infested nation.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Man I would probably sever a body part to live in Iceland, hell I've even thought about giving up my 2nd amendment rights to live there. But JESUS it's freaking expensive! Also the whole no standing army thing makes me a bit nervous....I don't want to be speaking Chinese or living under Sharia law in sub zero temps. A country that has a statue of Eric the Red in their city capital is where it's at.

Man but the local food...bad Schnapps and fish lard...eh, sacrifices.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

My thoughts exactly.

But then again Iceland has very, very limited immigration and admits almost no asylum seekers due to their absolute isolation.

Switzerland on the other hand has been experiencing racial tension due to the immigration of turkish gastarbeiters amongst others.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I'm surprised the US is that HIGH on the list!

I figured we would have been in the bottom 20, what with illegal wars and all the war mongering rhetoric coming from Bush & Co!

[edit on 5/21/2008 by Keyhole]

new topics

top topics

join