It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush tests Castro with mobile phone gift barrage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Bush tests Castro with mobile phone gift barrage

www.theregister.co.uk

Americans will soon be able to send cell phones to Cubans, President Bush announced today...

..."If he [Castro] is serious about his so-called reforms, he will allow these phones to reach the Cuban people," Bush said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
afp.google.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Cuba Denounces new and cowardly action by the U.S. government

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I think this is a great gesture by George Bush to the people of Cuba and Castro. It shows that Mr Bush just might be human after all. Or, is this more sinister, will some of these phones be a Trojan Horse carrying hidden devices?

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
either way this is most definitely a ploy of some sort, wether to boost republican moral, or hidden motives, or even just to start a Qu*, Its not becuz hes " being Human " just that his advisor's think this would yield such an such for so an so.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
oh no doubt for sure they are 'all bugged' and carry 'tracking devices'.....
I think that all cell phones have those things and not just the ones sent to Cuba.......it just makes the cell phones more of 'The Perfect Gift' for Shrub to choose. Reign them all in with the popular bugging devices most Americans use so that they are much easier to spy on.
PLUS the fact that cell phones are now known to be linked to brain cancer, they are perfect as the gift of choice from the Whitehouse

[edit on 21-5-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Cuba, the perfect place to dump all the old cellphones on the island. Yes indeed that is the purpose of the mobile phone gift barrage. Overwhelm them and then invade the country.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Bush allows Americans to send mobile phones to Cuba

WASHINGTON (AFP) — President George W. Bush on Wednesday announced a change in US policy to allow Americans to send cellphones to relatives in Cuba after an easing of restrictions on phone ownership there.

The administration was quick to note the move was not an easing of a decades-old US embargo against the island nation, as Bush slammed the "personal despotism of Fidel and Raul Casto" and reiterated calls for more substantial reform.

"Since Raul is allowing Cubans to own mobile phones for the first time, we are going to change our regulations to allow Americans to send mobile phones to family members in Cuba," Bush told a White House gathering which included US lawmakers and relatives of Cuban political prisoners.

"If Raul is serious about his so-called reforms, he will allow these phones to reach the Cuban people," Bush said, referring to Cuban leader Raul Castro, brother of revolutionary icon Fidel Castro, 81, who relinquished power in February after almost 50 years as president.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Recently, I started a thread entitled Cuba Denounces new and cowardly action by the U.S. government. That thread discussed, among other things, some of the many reasons behind the US's justification for its continued hostility with Cuba.

I'm beginning to believe that George Bush might be an ATS member or, at least, that this action by Bush reinforces the notion that posting to ATS could be instrumental in changing the world. I base this idea on the sudden change from increased restrictions to a relaxation of a restriction.

On the off-chance you are a member, Mr Bush, thank-you for opening the US's hand to Cuba. I hope that Castro responds wisely and that this is the prelude to better US and Cuban relations.

[edit on 21/5/08 by Rapacity]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
oh for sure they are all bugged and carry tracking devices.....
I think that all cell phones have those things and not just the ones sent to Cuba.......it just makes the cell phones more of 'The Perfect Gift' for Shrub to choose.
PLUS the fact that cell phones are now known to be linked to brain cancer, they are perfect as the gift of choice from the Whithouse

To be honest, on the more devious side, I thought they might contain explosives

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This is way to funny.All the posters on this thread seem to think that the President is personally sending cell phones to the Cubans.Where did that come from?Whew that is way left field there.
The President is just lifting the ban a little bit.Allow the Cubans to reach out and touch someone,here in the states.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I don't think the US government is sending any, but allowing private Cuban-American citizens to send them to family still in Cuba.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Although this sounds good on the surface, it's entirely a political point by Bush to win points from the Cuban American community.

He knows, that if the phones are accepted, it shows that he cares and wants to help the people of Cuba.

If the phones are refused, it bolsters his stance on the "evil" Cuban government and reiterates what his political stance is on Cuba.

It's a win win for him...well, not to me, he'll always be a loser in my mind.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
This is way to funny.All the posters on this thread seem to think that the President is personally sending cell phones to the Cubans.Where did that come from?Whew that is way left field there.
The President is just lifting the ban a little bit.Allow the Cubans to reach out and touch someone,here in the states.

That's understood (that the president isn't personally sending them or having them sent) but the possibility is that phones could be tampered with whilst in transit or phones could more easily be sent to intelligence operatives else it could be a true gesture at testing Castro's sincerity and resolve to ease restrictions of access to mobile phones for Cuban people.

[edit on 21/5/08 by Rapacity]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
More information can be found in the article linked below. I'm sorry all the linked articles are similar or the same in title. They are all different, promise.

US to let Americans send cell phones to Cuba

It's fairly long, but an interesting read. Enjoy.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

got to agree, millions of phones are thrown away around the world
as they become obsleite. what better way to get rid of the old tec then give them to the next person who can barely afford it.

seeing as most cubans live on meer pennies a day compared to their counterparts (neigbours and so on)

the only people this will bennifit are those that have relitives who earn abroad and can send them the phone or those cubans that scrape a decent wage to be able to afford this luxury.

so its a win win for those that can afford it while the US gets to get rid of some of its E-waste

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Send cell phones then send propaganda text to cubans with mobile phones .....were not your enemies , your goverment is lieing to you, hamburgers and fox news are good.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rapacity
[ext]Bush slammed the "personal despotism of Fidel and Raul Casto" and reiterated calls for more substantial reform.
[/ext]

With million sof handsets about to flood Cuba, lets just hope the 'calls for reform' are charged off-peak

top topics

join