It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stumped on what kind of bag to get

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Hey everybody.

Ok so I've got a small arsenal of supplies without a practical bag to put them in, the bag there currently in is a Regatta survivor 65L ruck sack. Its big, bulky and theres loads of space in it, my supplies weigh about 14-15Kg they only fill about half this bag though.

what I've been looking at are smaller 30L backpacks which would be more than able to carry my survival equipment. Theres so many kinds its stumped me, do I go for a one thats waterproof/made of strong material/lots of pockets/good brand?

I know there are a lot of expirienced survivalists on here, any help from you guys would be much appreciated, thanks.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Sorry man, don't know anything that would be better than military surplus.

Well...there is always that ziplock baggie that is often helpful..

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LockwithnoKey

Regatta are ok ...but some of the best brands are Karrimoor ( whats left of the, Berhaus..and North face ....had a lot of experience with ricksacks and made mistakes.....the proper military stuff is good...but done for a price..

One thing I learned with rucksack that are going to take some weight...is the waistband..if its crap and thin its going to get uncomfortable..because the hips are the best place to take weight!!...the stabiilty of the load is from the back..the hips take the weight!!

And look at the material and the stitching !

I think generally you get what you pay for with survival gear!!!!

But to get a good balance genuine military gear is good...thats if you like Khaki or camourflage!!

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by shuck

Just one other tip...with the rucksack I always line mine with a bin liner..always..everything in my rucksack is in a bin liner!!...
Binliners not only keep your stuff dry...they have loads of other uses!

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I too am a huge fan of Millinery surplus. I like the clips that quickly clip to my webbing if I so choose. other wise it just sits ware ever I need it.

My get home bag that is kept in my Jeep is a Vietnam era rump sack. still holding together nicely and still waterproof.

I paid $1.00 American for it at a surplus store that was going out of business. at the same time I got all the webbing 8 clip pockets for m16 clips and a dozen or so little clip on pockets the purpose of witch I have no clue. they never had them when I was serving so I figure they might be from Korea era. paid $10.00 for all of it.

Any bag is better then no bag in my opinion.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I used to do a good bit of biomed preventive maintenance and emergency repair. My best carry all was a two wheeled fiberglass case with an extension handle. That could be easily modified with larger all terrain wheels. Picked up and carried as needed. Everything stays safe and dry.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I suggest the purple haze. albiet it's a little on the expensive side.
or you may be able to find some decent shwiggity for the low low.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I'm currently questioning my current bag, as doing a 10 mile hike with it gets very uncomfortable. I'm looking into mil surplus A.L.I.C.E. packs, most likely the meduium size with the frame. Though I am also looking into getting a hikers pack with a child carrier, since I have a small child.

If no child was involved (as in they could walk distances easily on his own and not wander off every 10 seconds), I would get the A.L.I.C.E. pack in a heartbeat.

[edit on 21-5-2008 by DropInABucket]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by fred3110

Got the answer for ya right here. They'll send you a catalog if you like.

www.maxpedition.com...

I'm not affiliated with the company. Just that I have used and still use the gear and have found none better.

[edit on 21-5-2008 by BlindWatcher1]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
My background is in SAR and related first response. I always liked the Alice packs, for their strength-to-weight ratio. However, they will tear fairly quickly if overloaded and/or hooked on something sharp. I like that they don't rely upon zippers, as zippers fail at the most inopportune time. Now, lately, I've been leaning toward smaller bugout bags, and these are all heavy-duty nylon codura. Tough. This time of year, we have to gather our goodies in a heap and sort them all out for hurricane season. If your application is backpacking, a packframe that fits your body and has comfortable padding in the right places plus a chest strap will get you there in the best order. Hope this helps. cheers

[edit on 21-5-2008 by argentus]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies guys you've give me alot of good info, I'm just looking through the various websites now...still trying to decide!

Judging from the posts and the research I've done the military style rucksacks look and sound like good all rounders, that being said I'll still check out non-military options to make sure I dont overlook any, there could be a gem amongst them.

Again, thanks for the help guys you've been a great help.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Here's my £2...

A good balance between small and big is the patrol sack.

www.armynnavy.com...

For getting the kitchen sink in:

www.rifle-cases.co.uk...

I've got one and it really does the bizz.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

Thanks for the links

The patrol sack looks like a winner, it should be big enough to acommodate all my things and at the same time not big enough to hinder me riding a bike.

cheers!

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Hello,

I think your correct in thinking BIKE...

Especially with a child ( if I read correctly ).

For bicycles they make several "Kid Carrier", or "Kid Caboose" ,pull behind the bike, "CARTS".

They attatch to the bikes frame , near the back axle, very low.

Kinda like a single wagon handle, attatched to the bike.

I would check Every Good Will Store and Thrift Store in your neighborhood, and find a USED one, the Bigger the better. Kids tend to outgrow these things regularly for some reason.

They usually have a quick release mechanism to attatch to the bike , and remove quickly. ( Knurled knob quick release)

If your taking the Kid with you ( DUH ), the Child will not be as ''scared " going on a 'bike ride' in his/her 'taxi'. They wont even know there is a SIT- X. There is PLEANTY of room with a TWIN carrier , to put WATER, food, Sleeping bag, Raingear, Gold Bricks, Fishtank. or whatever you may want to carry, along with the child.

Also, you dont look like Rambo - Bugging Out.

I have Two that I have "re-engineered" to be stronger, and have a plywood floor to support more weight. One has a "sun shade cover" and little clear windows, that hides all my MRE's and Water bottles.

If you cant ride the bike anymore, you can PULL the cart by hand.

Then I would throw in a military " Assault Pack" ( small pack ), to be able to HUMP your gear if you cant 'pull' the cart any longer. Search E- Bay USA for Assault pack ( desert camo ) Runs 30 to 50 US dollars + shipping.

I promise you that you can jam twice as much weight in this cart than you would ever want to carry on your back.

Call it Urban Camo...

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

[edit on 22-5-2008 by Blitzkreigen]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by fred3110

It really depends on what you wanna put in/on it, and where and for how long you plan on wearing it...
just brought a new pack a couple of days ago...
a vaude i got the tour 50..., heres their site
www.vaude.de...

its a german site in english im sure youll be able to navigate it...

enjoy your new pack whatever you yet

Lowe Alpine would be worth a look too...www.lowealpine.com...

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Hey Blitzkriegen, I think you may have me mixed up with someone else, no child here
, I do like your idea of attaching a cart to the bike though, I could possibly lug twice as much gear around definetly one to think about!

Thanks for the links Zeus the lowe alpine bags look bad @$$.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blitzkreigen
Hello,

I think your correct in thinking BIKE...

Accually I meant a HIKEing backpack with a child carrier, kind of like This (External Image)

There are a few with some storage space but not much, I'd love to find one that I can have at least 20L of storage.

And depending on SitX, I will be bugging out with my child to his grandparents house in the country, which is easily defendable, and he will be safe and well taken care of should something happen to me. Once he is there if the situation calls for it I will have a seperate ALICE bag loaded for hunting, scaveging, etc. to take care of my family.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Hummm... I dont know where I got "Bike"...
My apologies. I have to stop posting after 3:00 am.

I swear I 'heard' Bike backpack...

Ok ...what about those child carriers that are like a "Papoose", where the child is in a sling in the front?

Thats would counterbalance a small pack on your back, maybe...

I'm shutting up now, I'm pretty embarrassed.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Blitzkreigen

Hehe, no worries Blitz.

I've thought about a frontal sling but my little guy is above the 25lb. mark so those won't work. I might just be up the creek when it comes to easy transport for him. Though, the bike cart idea that you brought up has given me an idea or two...

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Hey no prob mate, I've mentioned using a bike in a bug out situation thats probably where you got it from.

Dont be embarrased about it youv'e got some really good points keep it coming!

*Above post is to blitzkriegen, for some reason my "reply to" button isn't working...ohh well.

*sheesh now my edit button isn't working!

[edit on 22-5-2008 by fred3110]

[edit on 22-5-2008 by fred3110]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join