It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's almost blueberry season! Recipes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
It's is almost time to go blueberry picking at the farm near where I live.

I still have some frozen ones in the freezer from last year to use up before we go pick some fresh ones.

I have made just about everything I can think of that calls for some blueberries. Pies, cobblers, gateaus, pancakes, muffins, and blueberry syrup for ice cream.

Do any of you have favorite blueberry recipes that you would like to share?

Thanks!

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Here is a blueberry cake recipe that I like to use. My sister gave me this recipe. I don't know where she got it, but it's really good!

1 cup plus 2 teaspoons of flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups blueberries rinsed and drained. You can use frozen ones, but thaw and drain well.
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 inch springform pan and dust with four. I use bakers joy and it turns out fine.

Combine the flour (except the extra 2 teaspoons), salt and baking powder in a small bowl.

Cream together the sugar, butter and vanilla, using a hand mixer. Add the eggs. Gradually add in the flour mixture until it is smooth. Pour it all into the pan.

Mix together the blueberrie with the 2 teaspoons of flour and the lemon juice. Pour this on top of the cake batter spreading out evenly.

Bake for 1 hour.

Let cool slightly in the springform pan and then remove to a plate with the blueberry side up.

When you are ready to serve, sprinkle the cake with the powdered sugar.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
That cake sounds good. I'll have to try that when my blueberries come ripe. I have a few blueberry bushes that are loaded, but won't be ready for another month or so. I usually make blueberry syrup and freeze the rest.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jensouth31

Oh, I do love the blueberry syrup! I use it on vanilla ice cream most often, but it is great on pancakes or buiscuits, too!

The one thing I haven't tried to do on my own is blueberry jelly or preserves because it takes a lot of work. I have helped a friend do it, and it took all day!

I'm just hoping for some unique recipes I haven't tried yet, that people recommend.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I meant to post this long before now, but I lost the magazine that I saw the blueberry recipes in... Sunset Magazine June, 2008. Well, I didn't find all of the recipes attractive but I did think that the Blueberry Sorbet sounded most excellent. I may even try that myself this summer.

Blueberry Sorbet:

Pre/cook time 1 hr. + 1 1/2 hrs. chill/freeze time
Makes about 5 cups.

3/4 C. Sugar
1/4 tsp. dried cullinary lavender (I'd use a sprig of fresh for the flavor infusion)
1/4 tsp. salt
3 pints fresh or frozen blueberries (6 Cups.)
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1.) In a sauce pan, bring sugar, 1 C. water and lavender to a boil, add salt and simmer 2 mins. Transfer simple syrup to a metal bowl to let cool, then strain & discard lavender.

2.) In blender, peree simple syrup, blueberries and lemon juice. Strain and discard seeds and skins. (I don't think I'd worry about that part it's been puree'd, but that's just me, otherwise strain through cheese cloth)
Cover & chill at least 30 minutes, or overnight?

3.) Freeze in and ice cream maker, transfer to a container to harden & keep frozen until ready to serve.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Blueberries with natural yoghurt is nice.
Also, try throwing blueberries over your breakfast cereals - very nice also.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
mmmmmmm

I pick my blueberries in northern Ontario and they won't be good to go for another few weeks but oh boy I am excited
I picked 50 lbs of strawberries this year and made tons of jam and am looking forward to doing the same with blueberries... except for more baking with them, too.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Pancake mix then add blueberries tastes great together cooked.

new topics

top topics

join