It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Gap between America and Europe is Growing.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Well, all I gotta say is that we saved their butts in WWII and tried to finish their dirty work in 'Nam. The least the Frenchies can do is to tell us where they hid Saddam's WMD's.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The only gap I see growing is the one between that womans butt!!..
Hahaa, I kill me..

On a more serious matter. Old Europe is comparable to a sobering alcoholic who has given up drinking (war) now enjoying a new take on life, hence the backlash against the war mongering NeoCons.

That goes for Europe's political leaders and it's every day citizens.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
You are all wrong here, both Americans who say Europe stinks and Europeans who say Americans stink.

There are lots of stereotypes from both sides, that have a dosh of truth, but it is very little. For example, it may be that Americans eat a non-healthy diet, but so does Europe.

I come from Greece, and as I have told before, we live in a totally american way. Our problem with USA is US foreign policy, not people. Change your policy, be fairer, bring true justice to the world, and everyone will say good words about you.

Another problem is that capitalism is destroying Europe. Working conditions become more and more abysmal, thanks to capitalism. Basic rights like an 8-hour working day, vacations, social security etc are to be given up to the capitalist pigs that govern the world through the World Bank and other such institutes. Unfortunately, the basis of that economic system that wants us to go back to the 1800s is in USA. The ruthless free economic system that wants people enslaved to the capital is coming to Europe from USA. And don't tell me that it has worked for USA, because it only looks good, but in reality, it is not: the average American is still poorer, more illiterate, more obese than the average European. USA has 35K $ per capita income, which is very close to western Europe, but it is actually much lower, if you take out the 90% of wealth owned by 1% of the population. USA has 4.5% unemployment, but USA does not count homeless people or people partially employed; if they did, unemployment would skyrocket.

So that's the true reason Europeans have started to dislike America: it is the model of extreme capitalism that comes as a giant wave to swallow anything. The rest are simply excuses, stereotypes and things propagated by stupid media.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Masterp, thats one of the most intelligent arguments i have heard so far on this subject
American capitalism is among the most aggressive but the greed is going to be hurting us before too much longer because of outsourcing and this stupid idea by economists that we are all going to be entrepeneurs or scholars and we will take all manual labor and outsource it
yeah right, that worked for the romans too when they relied soley on foreign labor. Soon america is going to have a revolution because were tired of the elite having all the money.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamstone
The Chicago tribune recently featured an article about how the rest of the world perceives Chicago.
When asked, they held a make-believe machine gun, and went ratatatata because the movie image of Chicago is one of Gangsters.

They accuse us of being fat and ignorant? I wonde how big Hanz over in munich is getting on his beer and bratwurst.

They are the ignorant ones, and the racists.

Are you kidding Dreamstone? You would absolutely die from embarassment if I told you how a lot of Americans I come into contact with respond when I tell them I'm Australian.

You lot are absolutely NO different. Infact, you are probably worse.

[edit on 4-7-2005 by cargo]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

My point? Why should it matter? International opinion only matters to people dealing internationally.

While I agree with some of the points you made, I take issue with this statement. Many of those people who "deal internationally" are tax paying, proud American citizens from all walks of life. Why shouldn't they have a say in how the US conducts itself globally? Many Americans may be content to bury their heads in the sand and pretend that the world can never touch them. But their welfare and America's prosperity and security depends significantly on contact with the rest of the world. Members of the private sector, the military, the foreign service, NGO's, and many other groupings spend their lives working outside of U.S. borders for the benefit and welfare of Americans back home. They are entitled to an opinion too, and many of them would like to see America get along with the world rather than hide from or antagonize it, for their personal benefit and the United States' at large.

-koji K.

[edit on 4-7-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
Well, all I gotta say is that we saved their butts in WWII and tried to finish their dirty work in 'Nam. The least the Frenchies can do is to tell us where they hid Saddam's WMD's.

Well, Rumsfeld didn't save copies of Saddam's receipts either. When in glass houses....

-koji K.

[edit on 4-7-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I think the only Europeans who dislike America are Chirac and Shroder, these two have been plotting a European Superstate between them. They hate Britain as well. Most people in Europe like Americans, its the leaders that are crap , we seem to be living in an age of pig ignorant self important people who care more for there own political ambitions than the welfare of the people. Blair and Bush are just as bad.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
From the posts I have read in this thread, I would say that France and America are too damned similar for their own good... they both have a fair amount of individuals exhibiting an insufferably arrogant attitude. Makes me happy I'm a Canadian. Especially when I read the kind of crap some people have posted here.

EDITED to fix grammar

[edit on 4-7-2005 by Otts]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join