It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hijacked ship: Jordan approaches IMO for help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Hijacked ship: Jordan approaches IMO for help

www.hindu.com

Dubai (PTI): Uncertainty hangs over the fate of the hijacked Jordanian cargo ship, including 10 Indians among its crew members, as officials of the company which owns the ship refused to confirm or deny whether the pirates have asked for ransom.

Jordan has approached the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) for help as the hijacked MV Victoria, carrying humanitarian aid, has been located on international waters off Garacad, about 600 km north of Somalian the capital, Mogadishu.

Officials of both the Sharjah-based Five Seas Company, which owns MV Victoria, and the Sharjah-based Marwan Shipping, operating the ship, refused to confirm or deny whether any demand has been made to free the ship and its crew members. They, however, said all crew members are safe.

Andrew Mwangura of the East Africa Seafarers Assistance Programme had said yesterday that the pirates "have not yet made any demand".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
pirates of the sea #,man they not let them go with out big chuck of money .I pray for them

www.hindu.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Why these thugs aren'being dealt with by the Navy and Coast Guard eludes me. They know where they're from and the areas they operate in. These hijacking are prime examples of terroristic acts in my opinion..

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Because the US will get crapped on for sticking our noses where our noses do not belong . . . everyone here knows that

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Because, believe it or not, American armed forces really don't hold authority in foreign waters. Particularly when the victims aren't Americans.

Besides, despite what Waterworld tells us, pirates don't have a corner on the oil supply, and are thus a low-interest target

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I'd think other countries would be glad to have the threat to personal and commercial shipping removed. Oh Well..

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Everyone will benefit when piracy is removed. Five minutes after the hostages are release they should fly a cruise missile into the pirate enclave. It seems the nations in the immediate region would have some kind of international task force already working on this.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Did I not read somewhere that there are more pirates now than during the Age of Piracy? It astounds me how some things are allowed to continue, but I guess even pirates are allowed rights

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Nations in the immediate region:
Somalia
Yemen
Djibouti

I have a personal GDP higher than these three countries combined. I know I sure as heck can't field a naval response.

It's incredibly hard to fight sea piracy. There's a lot of water out there, and they don't exactly fly a jolly roger these days.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
Why these thugs aren'being dealt with by the Navy and Coast Guard eludes me. They know where they're from and the areas they operate in. These hijacking are prime examples of terroristic acts in my opinion..

Many times, the pirates are either working in conjunction with the Military or have paid off the Naval officers in the immediate area.

The pirates themselves are pretty sophisticated in their tactics. They will use former Navy ships, wear Naval uniforms, change flags, and do everything in their power to hoodwink the ships captains.

The only way to really stop them would be to put trojan horse ships out there that seem like they are freighters or passenger ships but are loaded with military personnel. The problem is that the pirates have inside information as to what ships are traversing the target area and the cargo manifests as well.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Muppetus Galacticus

Your right about more pirates now than ever. Piracy is rampant in the pacific rim as well as the Indian Ocean. A dirty little secret is that the cruise lines are just waiting like ostrichs with they're heads in the sand for another Achili Lauro. Only this time it will be a SUICIDE type piracy of a major cruise ship, and a total loss of all on board. Smaller cruise ships already have been boarded and looted off the coast of the Philipines.
Zindo

new topics

top topics

join