It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petrol prices where you are

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

One garage near me near Oxford is 119.9 for unleaded and 133.9 for Diesel...going up around 1p a day

Magic.....not!

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
$3.93 in Borger, Texas - Home of the largest inland refinery in the U.S.
Signed:
Scammed in Texas.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
In Oklahoma just outside of Tulsa 3.59 a Gal.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Tyranny22, allow me to enlighten you - and yes, I classify you as a moron, just an FYI:

1. Price increases in oil happened because "the impact of the economic crisis in Asia was either ignored or severely underestimated by OPEC". So they increased the quota by 2.5 million barrels per day. The rapid growth in Asian economies had come to a halt so in 1998, Asian Pacific oil consumption declined for the first time since 1982. That sent prices into a downward spiral.

So unless you seriously want to try and tell me that Clinton had something to with the rapid decline of the Asian economy in the late 90's, your inference that Clinton had anything to do with low gas prices is nothing but unfounded and wishful thinking. And here's the kicker - I'm using YOUR website source as the source for my information: www.wtrg.com...

From here on, you need to take a look at your chart again:

2. From 1999 - 2000 the world price of oil was on a rise because OPEC reduced production by 1.7 million barrels in April.

3. It DIPPED from 2000 to 2001 - the time when Bush was elected to office, which is counter to your statement that prices started to rise when Bush took office. The chart CLEARLY shows this as does your source:

"Prices finally started down following another quota increase of 500,000 effective November 1, 2000."

4. In 2001 prices went down further, as evidenced by your site:

"Russian production increases dominated non-OPEC production growth from 2000 forward and was responsible for most of the non-OPEC increase since the turn of the century. Once again it appeared that OPEC overshot the mark. In 2001, a weakened US economy and increases in non-OPEC production put downward pressure on prices."

5. The price of crude plummeted following the 9/11 attacks and were down by 35% by November 2001.

6. We don't start to see prices increase until late 2002, well after Bush was innaugurated and took the reins. So why did this increase happen?

Well, if we look back at your source:

"Problems in Venezuela led to a strike at PDVSA causing Venezuelan production to plummet. In the wake of the strike Venezuela was never able to restore capacity to its previous level and is still about 900,000 barrels per day below its peak capacity of 3.5 million barrels per day."

So that started the rise in prices. OPEC countered by increasing quotas by by 2.8 million barrels per day in Jan and Feb 2003.

7. So now we get to the war. Was the war in itself the reason for high oil prices? NO! And your site clearly says:

"On March 19, 2003, just as some Venezuelan production was beginning to return, military action commenced in Iraq. Meanwhile, inventories remained low in the U.S. and other OECD countries. With an improving economy U.S. demand was increasing and Asian demand for crude oil was growing at a rapid pace. "

It goes on to state that the cut in production from Iraq did affect oil production, but it goes on to say this:

"Other major factors contributing to the current level of prices include a weak dollar and the continued rapid growth in Asian economies and their petroleum consumption. The 2005 hurricanes and U.S. refinery problems associated with the conversion from MTBE as an additive to ethanol have contributed to higher prices."

So I'll give that you can blame Bush for the war as long as you blame ALL of the Republicans and Democrats in office who authorized it. But are you seriously going to blame Bush for:

* Rapid growth in Asian economies and their petroleum consumption (That wold be India, China, Malaysia, etc)
* The hurricanes in 2005 that crippled refineries
* Refinery problems associated with the conversion from MTBE as an additive to ethanol

???

Again, I'm just using your own source for information. I think you need to go back and read a bit harder and open your mind a bit to the possibility that not all evil in this world stems from Bush/Cheney.

[edit on 22-5-2008 by sos37]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
In the UK it's £1.16 per litre!

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
We live in Oklahoma about 35 miles NE of Tulsa. I'm paying 3.69 a gallon for regular unleaded and my husband is paying 4.45 a gallon for deisel. It's supposedly going to shoot up to around 4.25 a gallon for reg unleaded and 5.25 a gallon for deisel this Memorial day weekend. We're going broke and will most definitely be scraping the bottom of the barrel after this weekend. I'm ready to trade for a moped but seeing as how we have three kids, it wouldn't be practical. I don't know what we're going to do!

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Yeah.... Gas here last I saw was $3.99 and that was yesterday at about 6:30pm. I don't drive anymore, but I still get angry when I see how high gas prices are now... it's ridiculous.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Moron? Snide remarks will not help your case one bit:

1. You might want to take a closer look at my previous post. I never claimed Clinton had anything to do with oil prices being low. I was simply using his being in office as a time reference - next time, I'll track down a specific date and time.

2. Thanks for illustrating my point of market manipulation by OPEC.

3. I'm not surprised at all that prices dropped when Bush FIRST took office. I'm sure this reflected handsomely on the oil tycoon. Especially since over half of the country was upset that the popular vote was overturned by the electoral vote.

4. Thank goodness for the Russian market. whew. No thanks to anyone in our administration or OPEC.

5. This is common-place after a major catastrophe. Newton's law isn't just limited to physics - much of the time it can be applied to economics as well. What goes up, must come down.

6. You might want to take a look at what was going on in Venezuela at that time. There have been whispers of this event being less of a strike and more of a lock-out by FEDECAMARAS & CVW. It was a very volatile country at that time ... mainly due to a failed U.S.-Backed Coup. Funny how that works, huh?

7. So you're going to try to tell me that OPEC never envisioned the Asian market's (read: CHINA) demand rising? One look at China's holding of U.S. Treasury Securities could have given some sort of inclination as to where the economy was headed. Also, the U.S. Stock Market was well aware of what the World Market's investment in the Euro and it's steady rise against the dollar. A case of "selective hearing" on OPEC part?

I have no need to re-reference my source ... maybe you should take a look at who has a hand in what when certain events occur. Just a little digging can turn up a lot of dirt.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I'm actually paying $4.13/gallon in Connecticut but I make good money so it's not THAT bad. However, it's still a ridiculous number but the way this country is going, it's what should be expected. All the while, the dollar keeps dropping in purchasing power and the Fed just prints more money to throw at the problem creating huge amounts of inflation, helping the bigwigs on Wall St. profit from the middle class destruction. Good!! Just what the founding fathers envisioned for our future!!

"We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude. If we run into such debt, as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements, for our calling and our creeds...[we will] have no time to think, no means of calling our miss-managers to account but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow-sufferers... And this is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle in one instance becomes a precedent for[ another]... till the bulk of society is reduced to be mere automatons of misery... And the fore-horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that, and in its train wretchedness and oppression."--Thomas Jefferson

Cheers,
Purduegrad05

[edit on 22-5-2008 by Purduegrad05]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Here in Toronto, Ontario, Canada currently gas is sitting at
~$1.25 / litre

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
My god when is the breaking point going to hit and how devastating will it be. Definately scary times. $4.19 a gallon in Toledo, Ohio.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
in sonoma county, medium grade is 3.97 at the cheapest place.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
NO FIGHTING OVER A GALLON OF GAS! :S.

It's $4.00 in Florida at my place
The prices just keeps on going and going and going UP. DAMN.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
aus$1.43 L. That was 2 days ago. Im in central Vic. Australia (1hr out of ballarat)

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
It's 3.68 (regular 87 octane) here in Knoxville, TN and rising
I'm not gonna gripe yet because I've adjusted my time of driving and on good days I walk to work. It takes me an hour to get there but it feels good to just walk for a change. My legs were burning the second day I walked but it's better than driving out all my fuel. Memorial Day is almost here and I wonder just how high it will get?

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Here in Vancouver, BC, Canada (160 km north of Seattle, Washington)
the current price is:

$1.34 Candian Dollars per litre
$1.42 Australian Dollars per litre
$0.87 Euros per litre
or about $5.06 per Gallon US Dollars

Which is VERY EXPENSIVE by American standards

but VERY CHEAP by European standards

Some of my German relatives are paying over $2.80 U.S. a litre
or $10.58 US a gallon

SO I guess I could count my self lucky compared to Europe
and leaves me very annoyed compared to the VERY CHEAP U.S. prices
which are about $1.00 a Litre in Canadian dollars

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rilence
reply to post by Herbal Oli

That's a gallon, Herbal....Around 4 litres if my memory serves me...So that's like just under a dollar a litre

Peace

EDIT ---- Actually 4.54 litres per gallon, so do the math
Much cheaper in the US...

[edit on 21-5-2008 by Rilence]

In another fuel price related thread here, I provided info about this when the price here in Queensland was $1.38 per litre. Don't remember the figures now but it showed Australians payed a hell of a lot more for the same amount of fuel. I had to wonder why, and if the Excise was making the difference or not. Then just after the terrible cyclone in Burma I saw on SBS news that they pay the equivalent of $1 per litre there!

So now I figure that we are just paying more than in other countries, which is true for all our whitegoods, appliances, imported cars, etc, anyway.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by gauncents
Paid $4.05 in San Diego, California. USA this morning. I'm sure it will be another 10 cents higher by the time I get off work! I'ts gone up 20 cents the last 2 days.

I got home from work today and the same gas station was already 20 cents higher to $4.25 US.

So the same gas station 2 days ago was 3.79 and is now $4.25

46 cents in 3 days total!!!

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Regular gasoline just hit $3.98 a gallon here today at one gas station.

I was told by someone, that they are attempting to drive the price of gasoline up to $15 per gallon. This is ridicoulous.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
its about $1.25/litre where i am last time i checked, thank god i dont drive

[edit on 22-5-2008 by koolkid4521]

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join