It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Station Employee Fired for Fighting Off Robber

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Gas Station Employee Fired for Fighting Off Robber

www.foxnews.com

Mark Beverly, an overnight shift supervisor at a SuperAmerica in Roseville, Minn., was fired in March after he jumped on a masked robber who he believed was attacking a fellow employee.

SuperAmerica said he violated company policy when he came to his colleague's aid in the early morning of March 26. So instead of accolades, Beverly got the boot.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I can't even believe this story. What a joke. GIVE IN TO THE POLICE/NANNY STATE!!!
I wanted to search and see if there were any similar cases as they stated, but this was not so. They want us to roll over and depend on them This is a horrible joke. I wish I had a company and could hire this guy...
www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Marathon Petroleum Company, the owner of the SuperAmerica chain, said Beverly was told what to do in the company handbook — which advises employees to "cooperate: don't argue, resist or attack the robber" — and through a computer-based training program Beverly was required to complete when he was hired.

I am so glad that the computer training program that they used shows what to do in these all encompassing situations...

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
It's called COA (covering your ass.)

Let me explain.

I was on the safety committee at my company for a few years. Most employees don't know this but the company policy on fighting a fire is don't. If there is a fire you are to leave the building immediately.

If an employee comes across a fire and fights it and is hurt, he violated company policy and they can't be held responsible.

It's wrong, but it's just another way corporate America shields itself from being sued.

The employee fought off a robber. If he had been hurt the company would have had to pay his medical bills, Their insurance would have gone up, they would have lost a few thousand dollars rather than just losing the life of some employee.

He had to be fired, to show the rest of the employees that a human life is not to be put before company profit.

America is now a Fascist state, whether you want to believe that or not.

NOTHING comes before the profits of the corporations. Not even human life.

Get used to it.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

I understand exactly what you are saying, however, you have to realize that his man thought that his coworker was being attacked. I believe that if that was the case, his actions were heroic.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
www.mapllc.com...

Well, here is their Contact Us page. This is one situation where we can do something more than comment on it.

Interfering in a robbery is one thing, but coming to the aid of a co-worker is another.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
You know what the robbery policy is at my store? We are supposed to pretend to faint! Screw that, I would co-operate.

Co-operating really is the best way to act in a robbery. Most robbers would rather not have to hurt anybody and usually co-operating is the safe bet.

However I agree that if I was sure he was going to hurt my co-worker or myself, I should have every right to defend myself. S.A. should put a stipulation that if the robber attacks first, then you CAN defend yourself.

I mean if you get hurt by co-operating and not attacking the robber, you can still sue the company.

top topics

join