It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court: Paper money discriminates against the blind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Court: Paper money discriminates against the blind

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON - Close your eyes, reach into your wallet and try to distinguish between a $1 bill and a $5 bill. Impossible? It's also discriminatory, a federal appeals court says.

Since all paper money feels pretty much the same, the government is denying blind people meaningful access to the currency, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled Tuesday. The decision could force the Treasury Department to make bills of different sizes or print them with raised markings or other distinguishing features.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
How about that... Need a new currency America? Inflation out of hand?... Eureka!

Let's solve it by coming up with another reason to suddenly care about the disabled, not just a new tax write-off says big government!!!

With respect to those who have disability, if this makes our economy more stable and is a vast upgrade of the crappy government assistance given, then this is a win/win.

I just see the satire and irony. Who would in their right mind deny the disabled, if it were to be a pushed issue of social consciense. Now the FED has a reason to write off their currency reformation, as a non-profit charitible expense.

This is a brilliant stroke.

ADHD, The guy who sees trends.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
HAHAHA omg lol

Sorry couldnt help it, it was bound to happen.
This article made me chuckle.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
lol.... that made my laugh. Its pretty funny when you think about it.... I mean, how have blind people been able to handle money in the past with out someone trusted there with them??

-fm

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I agree with Monk.
Same size currency has worked so far, don't see why it should be different now. Although since it has been through the courts it seems there will probably be a change, be it right or wrong.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
There is already a computer readable thread in paper money, it seems a simple thing to have it contain the appropriate denomination , and give blind people a reader that speaks the amount audibly. Boda bing, boda boom.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Or... you could just think like a Canadian... and PUT BRAILLE ON YOUR NOTES!

Pick up a current 5, 10, 20, 50, or 100 dollar bill from Canada. Run your fingers over it.
On the face side, top right corner, there's a dotted embossing to represent which note you are carrying.

In the event that the note has been squished and the braille is no longer present, if you feel the numbers, you can easily distinguish the texture of the number symbol from the rest of the note. (IE feel the 20 symbol on the 20 dollar note.)

It's fail safe. You can be completely blind and know what it is you are holding.

Why is it that we, a country with so few people manage to figure this out before the US?

Come to think of it... why do so many of our counterfeit countermeasures exist, when the US can't even get beyond two tones of ink? Holograms, embossing, watermark, ink specs, micro-prints, etc.

All I can find on the US bills is embossing... maybe the occasional watermark.

Seriously, where is your braille? Where's you're holograms?
Half you're money is devoid of something as simple as UV Ink.
And for pete's sake, use more than two tones! Any modern xerox machine can re-produce your currency. It's a joke.

[edit on 21-5-2008 by johnsky]

new topics

top topics

join