It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranians Would Welcome Airstrikes, Sources Say

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
As I recall the Iraqi civilians were supposed to welcome a US invasion with open arms in 2003 and rise and defy Saddam's rule.
Then all would be splendid, there'd be no need for a huge occupation to pacify the region and we'd be free to guzzle Iraqi Oil as much as we like.

Asked whether they view the U.S.-led coalition as "liberators" or "occupiers," 71% of all respondents say "occupiers."

That figure reaches 81% if the separatist, pro-U.S. Kurdish minority in northern Iraq is not included. The negative characterization is just as high among the Shiite Muslims

www.usatoday.com...

As you can see, the Bush Administration's estimate was a TAD off.

And they're trying to sell this lemon to us AGAIN, saying Iranians would support a total invasion and occupation of Iran?

Where does the Bush Administration get the balls? Where??

I beg to differ, I seriously doubt Iranians want to turn their clocks back to 1901 and suffer under a US occupation for over 7 years or so.

Get effin' real... who the hell wrote this?
Sounds like a memo Cheney or Rumsfeld jotted down and slipped into Bush's pocket or something..

[edit on 22/5/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I actually agree that there are Iranians who want to join the 21st Century. With the internet, satellite TV, travel they know what the rest of the world is like.

But they want it on their terms - no-one elses - certainly not by force.

Invasion is the best way for uniting a country and keeping a despot in power.

The West can passively manage this issue by doing nothing - letting the Iranian leaders make complete birks of themselves before the inevitable happens - within

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Who would actually want to wait to see if they are going to be bombed each night?
Who would like the idea that a stray (or not so stray) bomb may hit them as they cross a bridge in their car?
Who wants to live with no electricityand very little food in the supermarket - large queues?

looking at what happened with the precision bombing in Sarajevo - and I don't want to dis any comments so far - debate is one of the greatness of democracy - it is completely disgusting to think that any sane person would welcome bombing of their own country

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by templar knight
...it is completely disgusting to think that any sane person would welcome bombing of their own country

I agree it is odd, odder still because they have a very good understanding of what war is all about. Their 7 year war with Iraq did not result in a lot of inland bombing but there was a lot of blood shed.

But in case you never noticed, it does seem that many in the Islamic world (especially the middle east) have a bit of a different attitude when it comes to sacrifice and bloodshed.

When we were invading Iraq the Iranian citizens were completely relaxed about the whole thing, it was truly bizarre. The rest of the world was watching it 24/7 but there it was about as exciting as a thunder storm two states away.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

When we were invading Iraq the Iranian citizens were completely relaxed about the whole thing, it was truly bizarre. The rest of the world was watching it 24/7 but there it was about as exciting as a thunder storm two states away.

Well remember Iraq was always an arch-nemesis to the Persians, they held long standing grudges for what Saddam inflicted upon them in the 1980's, what with the Chemical Attacks and bombing major cities. For someone to come along and wipe Saddam and his brutal regime off the map was a sigh of relief for the Iranian people. No more worries about the loud-mouth, nutjob next door.

But, more than that, Ahmadinejad was not in power yet, US-Iran relations had been fairly neutral up until he was elected; thus they felt they had little to fear with an American presence so close to their borders.

Now 7 years down the track, with Washington banging the war drums like there's no tomorrow they're starting to see the pitfalls of America deployment so close to their soil, especially with all this attention on their Nuclear Programme and Bush's unpredictable nature.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

of they want us to blow it all up so they get it all rebuilt for free

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
But, more than that, Ahmadinejad was not in power yet, US-Iran relations had been fairly neutral up until he was elected; thus they felt they had little to fear with an American presence so close to their borders.

Yes things have heated up since Ahmadinejad came into power, but if you recall Bush called Iran part of the axis of evil (Iraq/Iran/North Korea) before the Iraq war started. Since they were named in that context I am quite sure they realized what that could mean when we were attacking their neighbors and establishing large bases.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Since they were named in that context I am quite sure they realized what that could mean when we were attacking their neighbors and establishing large bases.

I doubt most Iranians were aware he even said that, let alone figured that in 3 years time their indigenous Nuclear Programme would be such a concern.

Your thinking entirely from your own perspective. Yes were all well aware of Bush's intentions and motivations before he even makes them clear because we know so much about him and we scrutinise and evaluate his administration's every step, but do you think the Iranians were?

I honestly think they really didn't see it coming, all this focus and attention on them; which may have something to do with Ahmadinejad's vocal and bold standpoint.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira

Your thinking entirely from your own perspective. Yes were all well aware of Bush's intentions and motivations before he even makes them clear because we know so much about him and we scrutinise and evaluate his administration's every step, but do you think the Iranians were?

I honestly think they really didn't see it coming, all this focus and attention on them; which may have something to do with Ahmadinejad's vocal and bold standpoint.

Well, I think they were aware of it on some levels. Their government (even before Ahmadinejad) has been focused on the U.S. as the "great Satan" for quite some time, so it is definitely imbedded in the Iranian consciousness. I see it as very much like the U.S. and the Soviets during the cold war. There is a national obsession. But at the same time, I can't speak of the 'average' Iranian because they don't speak english, so definitely the sampling was skewed.

And I will agree with you about their nuclear program. That was an issue even circa 2003. I asked my Iranian friend about it and he was honestly convinced it was just for electrical power (their electricity is quite expensive) and I was somewhat shocked by that. It just seems so obvious that the Iranian Regime would want nuclear weapons, they saw what happened to Iraq, they saw how we have dealt with North Korea. Anyone with common sense realizes it IS the great equalizer and if they want to prevent invasion it has to be on the agenda.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join