It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland Tops List of 'Peaceful Nations', U.S. 97th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Iceland Tops List of 'Peaceful Nations', U.S. 97th

www.rawstory.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Iceland is the world's most peaceful nation while the United States is ranked among the bottom third, according to a study released on Tuesday.

The "Global Peace Index," compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit, ranked the United States 97th out of 140 countries according to how peaceful they were domestically and how they interacted with the outside world.

The United States slipped from 96th last year, but was still ahead of foe Iran which ranked 105th. It, however, lagged Belarus, Cuba, South Korea, Chile, Libya and others which were listed as more peaceful.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Interesting...I've never even heard of this list before. I wonder who exactly is behind it? Iraq is dead last as least peaceful with afghanistan not far behind. Iran is listed less peaceful than the states, which I'm sure will make the profiteers cheer with glee. lol

Iraq, which the United States invaded in 2003, leading to the toppling of Saddam Hussein, ranked lowest on the index. Afghanistan, another country invaded by the United States this decade, was also in the bottom five, along with Sudan, Somalia and Israel.

Commenting on the U.S. ranking, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said to realize a more peaceful and prosperous world, "Often times, you have to do difficult things and a lot of times, people don't agree with them. They don't like them."

"A lot of times you fall down in these lists but at the end of the day it is in defense of democracy and the way of life we have enjoyed over the past several decades," he added.

The United States has come under strong international criticism for the invasion of Iraq and its chaotic aftermath.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
And the bottom 5...?

Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Somalia and Israel.

And who has a 'presence' in most of those and 'ties' with the other...?
The answer is #97 on this years list.

And I'm not sure what 'we' are doing in Sudan, if anything, but has anyone checked out what we've done in Somalia lately?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
That bums me out, the world's superpower is one of the least peaceful nations!? If anyone needed evidence of power breeding corruption, this list is a good start. Israel too, for such a God abiding country, this seems to enforce the idea that religions only cause hate, not love.

new topics

top topics

join