It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush To Visit Belfast, Do We Want Him?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

The only thing worrying me about this visit is the fact that some dissadent republican group will take this opportunity to bring chaos to the streets of Belfast. There have been a number of bomb scares all around the place for the last month or so, in fact there was a bomb warning phoned in about the Hilton hotel too.

And to Res Ipsa, I don't think George Bush will get shown much respect here, I noticed the posters going up, during the last few days,over for an anti-bush/ anti-war rally being arranged for his arrival.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

I'm clearly not spitting in your face. And sorry to reveal this to you but you are (Americans) whether you like it or not, like everyone else fundementally round the world. You are no better or no worse.

You are so far removed from your leader it is unbelievable, do you think he gives a # about you? And you should be better than your so called 'banana republic' as you are a democracy, so this is what your country is supposed to be like!

You mabye right about American's who did not vote not having any right to moan about this. But your statement about the Banana republic looking up to the men with medals on their suit. Well what about John MCcain? The only reason he appears to garner any repect anymore is from his war record, which is questionable at best, isn't that similar?

You do tend to go off the point of the post quite alot iv'e noticed. This is about Bushes visit to Belfast....Obviously as a head of state he has been invited and the US and Irleand and NI have a strong bond whether for better or worse. It would not be right to just say he couldn't visit as it could affect relations with a later President.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mzrti

Yes i have heard about these scares, although they are buried deep within the papers and are barely mentioned on the BBC ITV etc. It is a worrying trend, hopefully these are just a few radical IRA or UVF members and is not an organised attempt to bring about the troubles again.

Surely if they started them up again there would be to much outrage from the general public for them to gain any popular support? Or would the sectarian splits flare up again?

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

To be honest I am worried about the secterian thing worsening, on one side we have the dissadent republicans planting bombs and on the other side we have loyalistswho still are armed to the teeth. I live in-between a catholic and protestant area and have noticed trouble starting to flare up. I hope for my childrens sake i'm wrong. but that's off topic, lol, as for George Bush, i'm sure he'll enjoy his stay here, he'll only be brought to the nicer areas and trouble makers will be kept at bay. I remember the security messures put in place when Bill Clinton was here and most people liked him, Bushes security will be much tighter.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I can't believe you people, trying to pawn off your crappy president on Ireland! Shame on you! Have you no respect for the Irish?

If you want to know how you should react to Bush, do this. If you've ever watched Southpark, there was one episode where Cartman thought he was dead because everyone pretended that they couldn't see or hear him. The Irish should pretend that Bush isn't even there! You'd never get it to happen, but I'd sure love to see it. I can imagine, though; it will have to do.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
I can't believe you people, trying to pawn off your crappy president on Ireland! Shame on you! Have you no respect for the Irish?

Well, he's not actually visiting Ireland as far as I know... he's going to Belfast, which is in Northern Ireland (part of the UK). Mostly to reinforce the peace process and so on, but the American role in that occurred mostly under Bill Clinton.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Hmm, yeah I did realize that this was Northern Ireland, but I figured that even though they are under UK jurisdiction, that they would consider themselves 'Irish' as well. Maybe that isn't true; I have no idea, and never really thought about it before.

Anyway, to correct my last statement:

How dare you try to pawn your crappy president off on the NORTH Irish!

I'm hoping some leprechauns will spirit Bush away to someplace I'll never have to see him again
(Or do the North Irish have leprechauns? My head is reeling...)

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Roughly 50% of the population here would say they are British the other half would say they are Irish but practically everyone, if asked, would say they live in Ireland or Northern Ireland not the UK.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join