It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese donate their newfound wealth after quake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
In the week since the quake, donations have totaled $1.3 billion — 85 percent raised within China, the Xinhua News Agency said Sunday, citing the Ministry of Civil Affairs.

With living standards soaring with the economy's spectacular performance in recent years, a new group of rich Chinese are expressing interest in philanthropy. The ministry's China Charity Information Center projects that private foundations will overtake the government and aid and activist groups to become the country's main source of charity in five years.

Private cars swarmed so thickly on roads that police set up donation drop-off points outside cities and towns to clear the way for military and government convoys. People living in tent camps beside cracked, debris-swept roads posted handwritten signs asking for urgently needed items — water, rice, vegetables. Cars paused to hand out a box or two and then drove on.

Blood donation centers were overwhelmed with offers and began asking citizens to register in advance.
----------------------------------------
very glad to see how people responded to the disaster.people are so eager to help and they go out of their way to do so.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
wow I am so impressed, its so good to know that people have helped those that need it. A heart warming post.
m x

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
In the first days it was so crowded in the banks, that I saw a lady crying because she stood in the line for more than 4 hours and still couldn't donate anything. I understand her helpless feeling

For everyone's information, for many the average salary is like 600-800 RMB only, some even less....

[edit on 20/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

[edit on 20/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
It's nice to see stories like these come out of a tragedy. These people came out in droves to support and help their fellow countryman. Restores a little bit of faith in humanity.

[edit on 20-5-2008 by Ocelot]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Clothes for China quake victims go unwanted
Wed Aug 27, 12:14 AM ET BEIJING (AFP)
- Mountains of clothes donated to victims of China's devastating earthquake are being auctioned off, recycled into mops or left in warehouses because no-one wants them, state press reported Wednesday.
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=An88dJ4ujVv5.gN9_X_pgQtPzWQA

they need new houses rather than clothes,hopefelly no houses for those could be built before winter comes.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
for the coming years this should be the focus of the government's work in china,compare to the people who suffer the earthquake,everything else should be put on the back burner,people care much more about the quake victims than the olympics

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
just helps confirm to me what I have discovered in my travels

no matter where I go or where I've been, people are all pretty much the same, with the same needs, desires, dreams, compassion, charity and morals.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

MORE than three months after an earthquake killed 70,000 people in Sichuan, not a single orphan has been adopted. The process has been blighted by bureaucracy and by the unwillingness of Chinese families to take injured, disabled or older children.

www.theage.com.au...

thats a bit disapointing

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
that's a lie,the truth is so many people and families have registered for adopting earthquake orphans.but they can not always get the chance cause the condition for adoption is very strict.you must be over 30 years old,no children of your own.above the income level stipulated,and if you adopt oppoiste sex orphans,the age difference must be over 20 years,.........there are so many requirements you have to meet to be eligible to adopt a orphan.so the review process takes sometime but it is good for the childrens future.as for disabled orphans,they require a lot of specail care,most people can not afford the time and money to take care of their lives,so i believe it should be the government job to take care of them ,so many people donated fund to take care of them.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   

China earthquake: Chinese one-child families rush to take in orphans

But Mrs Li faces stiff competition. The Chaoyang district branch of the Beijing Civil Affairs Department, just one of 16 such offices in the Chinese capital, said that more than a thousand couples hoping to adopt a Sichuan orphan had already registered with them.

chaoyang district is only one of dozens districts in beijing.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
China starts adoption process for 88 earthquake orphans

CHENGDU, Aug. 23 (Xinhua)

-- Civil affairs authorities in China's quake-hit Sichuan Province on Saturday issued the first list of 88 children orphaned in the May 12 earthquake for adoption.

www.reliefweb.int...

"The status of orphan can only be determined with death certificates of both parents, which should be given by police or hospital departments. Those whose parents are missing must wait for a court to declare their parents dead after two years," said Jiang Tao, a Sichuan adoption official.

He said his colleagues were still working to find relatives of orphans.

you better make sure they are really orphans before let them be adopted.

new topics

top topics

join