It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Best /Worst/ and Welcome Surprise Concert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
best concert:

I went to Tool on the Aenima Tour in SLC UT ant the E Center 1996. I was there for at least one of the songs that was recorded for Salival. The part where he says "We are trying something new on this tour".

I knew who they were prior to this show, however I didn't get into them much until after this concert. They are so amazing live. I've since then seen them 4 more times.

Worst Concert:

Fiona Apple / Damien Rice Tour 2006 at the the Northrop Auditorium Minneapolis, MN. I wasn't a big fan of either of them, however I like to check out concerts for the experience. Damien Rice was awesome, and I'd see him again. However Fiona Apple was terrrible. It doesn't help that the Northrop Auditorium is notorious for it's accoustics.

However Fiona Apple hid behind a piano. She had like three keyboardists that did most of the work, and at one point she just started screaming off key, and acting frantic. I swear she was on acid or off her meds. I refuse to see her ever again.

Surprisly good concert:

Motley Crüe Vs. The Earth Tour 1999 SLC UT at the E Center. The only reason I went was because my cousins had an extra ticket and they gave it to me. I did not like Motley Crue, and still they are not my favorite. Let me tell you this though. This concert rocked so hard. Those dudes know what they are doing.

[edit on 5/20/2008 by eye open doors]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Best Concert:
I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan opening for Joe Cocker, perhaps a year or less before the helicopter crash that killed SRV. 17th row, and since Stevie was the opening act, most folks were still trickling in after he had started, so it really felt like he was just playing to the few of us who were there with him. (Cocker was no slouch, either, mind you... but SRV was a god.)

Worst Concert:
I can't think of any off the top of my head that I absolutely hated. One time I caught Porcupine Tree on an off night, but I'd seen them 3 times before when they were really good, so I didn't hold it against them. Saw Buddy Guy at a festival, and I felt like he was more talk than play, at least through the first half of the set.

Surprisingly Good Concert:
ZZ Top. I have a handful of their albums, and even met Billy Gibbons a few times, but the first time I saw them live I was blown away by what a good slide-guitar player he is. He can really nail it live.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
SRV, man I am envious. That guy knew how to work that guit-fiddle. My brother saw that same concert. I believe he said it was in Wisconsin.

I'd like to see Porcupine Tree do their thing. i have a feel that on one of their off days they are still better than a lot of music that is pumped into the media. Buddy Guy, he's a weird one. i'd like to se him to.

ZZTop, man you've seen some good ones.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Best concert.
Daft Punk, drove 19 hours from my home to Seattle to see them at the WaMu theatre last year on july 29th I believe, that show was fantastic, absolutely incredible sound and visuals, not a whole lot can compare.

Worst concert.
Nofx, saw them a week or 2 ago, and it was terrible, the opening 2 acts totally destroyed what good have been a half decent set for them, the second band took close to an hour to set up, it was highly boring, and the venue sounded terrible.

Surprise concert
Went to see Serj Tankian a few months ago, but I ended up enjoying the first, fair to midland, more then I had expected, almost more then I enjoyed serj, they are now one of my favorite bands.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Daft punk have interested me since Da Funk came out. It's still one of my favorite songs. They were doing that thing with the robot helmets and all that.

As for NoFX, I am amazed they are still around. That's too bad it was a bad venue. Punk rock was always known for the shoddy sound.

Fair to Midland? I have nevr heard of them. I'll have to check them out. I have had experiences like that, where the opening act blew away the headliner. I went to see NIN with A Perfect Circle as the opening act. That was when Mer de Noms had just came out.

Maynard an his crew blasted Trent and party away. NIN did have these really cool huge moving LCD screens though.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Best Concert.

Anti-Flag, Street Dogs, The Briggs, and Fake Problems. It was great because the Street Dogs have the most energy of any band I have seen, and the crowd really moved. It is always fun when there's a huge circle pitt. All the other bands were great, and did not dissapoint.

Worst Concert.

Authority Zero, The Big Spank, and another local band I can't remember. Don't get me wrong they are all great bands but, there was nobody there. When there's only like 15 people at a show it is not that fun.

Surprise Concert.

The Unseen, A Wilhelm Scream, and Dead Mary. One of my favorite bands is The Unseen, but I thought it was going to be a really dead show, but it turned out to be awesome.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pshkwamy

NOFX is great, but they don't come to Albuquerque anymore for unknown reasons. Punk rock is not supposed to sound really great anyways. It's just supposed to get you to have funn and be pissed off.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

I agree, but theres a point where your just standing around too long, and they talked way to much, after pretty much every song they had something to say, which kind of kills it even more.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Yeah that's very true. Sometimes you wish they would just shutup and play. To much talking really does suck the life out of the whole thing.

Cheers

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
best
Nine inch nails, Smashing pumpkins and Marilyn Manson in ’96 or ’97 at Molson Park, they were gods then, and I had never heard or Mason at the time, but wow what a show.

worst
Frank Sinatra, I was young, it was raining and some old dude I couldn’t care less about was up on stage singing very boring songs.
surprise
Tool, last year Copps coliseum.
How I got there I don’t know but I found my self in the pit and damn are they tight live.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Best concert, like you eye open doors was Tool in dublin back in 06
It was the best few hours of my life because...well heres why...

-Tool Dublin in '06

Worst concert would have to be trivuim,
i went because i half liked trivuim and about 30 of my mates were going, thought it would be a laugh
When i got there, 100's of stupid teenagers moshing and jumping around like freaking idoits

However tool, everyone was just loving the music felt like everyone there was 'one'...know what i mean?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Two more surprises for me were

The Dirtball: I forget the venue, somewhere in Minneapolis at the Subnoize show. This dude had such great stage presence. I am not the hugest fan of rap, but dude was solid all the way through. I was sold big time. I thouroughly enjoyed his whole set.

During the show I look over to my right and there was Daddy X from the Kotton Mouth kings. I walked over and shook his hand and thanked him for his music. I think dude thought I was going to give him a joint.

I was so impressed with the Dirtball I walked back to the table where he was sitting, signing, and selling. I shook his hand too. I told him what I thought about his stage presence. He was like like "thanks man".

Atmosphere: First Avenue St. Paul, MN. Again, rap is not my favorite genre. I was given tickets to this show, and I was like "what the hell, the experience is what it is about". This dude puts on a great show. The energy was amazing. He can move a crowd and keep them going. Mac Lethal was there as well, he hit it hard, and kept the ball rolling.

[edit on 5/20/2008 by eye open doors]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Best Concert - Ringo Starr - Back in '97 in Michigan. He was great, sang his own songs.

Worst Concert - Can't think of any. I haven't been to many.

Surprised Concert - Would have to be Sam Haggar - Won tickets to this concert and I didn't even know who he was LOL. I found out fast.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mxyztplk

NIN, Smashhing Pumpkins, and Manson. You cannot lose there.

Disgustipated: Tool have set the bar high. I've seen them sitting in seats, and I've seen them in general admittance. Seats are by far the best way to go with tool.

Rhain: I'd like to see both you've mentioned.

[edit on 5/21/2008 by eye open doors]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Best:
Smashing Pumpkins 1997. Our town was flooded, including the airport.
I thought he show would be canceled. But they Flew into a town about 100 miles away, rented buses, and drove everything over Donner Pass. They were exhausted, we were exhausted from dealing with the flood. They gave us a very personal show. Seemed like it lasted forever. And the acoustics were tuned perfectly to the Arena..Plus, I had an ankle injury, and could not make it to my nosebleed seat. They gave my wife and I these cushy chairs down on the floor, very close to the action.

Worst:

Aerosmith, sans Joe Perry. about 1980..I fell asleep, as did many others.

Surprise:
Uriah Heep. A comback tour, about 1982. A small venue called the Agora Ballroom in Columbus Ohio. Everyone there was a Heep fan..Everyone knew the lyrics to all the songs. The audience and the group played off each other.
It was almost magical.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Uriah Heep have this great song called the Wizard. I wish Corgan would get back on his guitar.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Oh, the sing-along brought back another memory...

About 8 years ago I caught King's X at the House of Blues on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood. I'd heard a few of their songs, but wasn't a huge fan and didn't really know their catalog.

Doug started the opening riffs of "Goldie Lox" and sang the first line, and he saw that everyone was singing along, so he stepped back from the mic and let the audience take the song.

The audience went through the verse and into the chorus IN FULL HARMONY.

Ty took his guitar solo, and afterwards Doug gave the first line back and stepped away again, and the audience sang it through to the end.

Doug had a huge grin on his face. I honestly don't think that type of audience response had happened before for him, or at least not on the same level.

A truly magical experience, both for the audience and the performers.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
At the Minneapolis Aquatennial Ziggy Marley played. He got up there for free and played. I had such a great time, and the whole crowd was totally into it. He even played past the cut off time. People were disappointed, but man the energy was amazing.

new topics

top topics

join