It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom forced to live in car with dogs

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
Nothing from the OP in a while......hope they haven't been kicked out onto the street....or parking lot

I only hope they can learn to see more than one side of every story.

I'm still here, just amaze by the number of people which have a consciousness which is conditioned to
1. Immediately focus on fault
2. Subsequently blame either the woman or the oil companies
3. Are completely oblivious to the bigger picture

Blame is usually the last thought on my mind,because it doesn't matter who or what is to blame, what matters is "what impact does a quick increase in homelessness have on our world?"

But I guess most people don't ever move out of the child/parent mindset into adulthood

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex

Originally posted by jpm1602
The tip of the iceberg. Where do you think the people go in the massive foreclosure crisis? To never never land? No. This is what happens. And it's only the start.

There is not a massive foreclosure crisis. It is a myth. 96% of homeowners are paying their mortgages on time.

What world are you living in?

Where did you get your numbers?

96% of who? The people of one county?

What a troll

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

Very Good If your for real,kids like you are unheard of.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

As hard as it is to believe by the majority of the posts in this thread I believe that there are more people out there that care about others, i've seen a couple posts to that effect. It's just such a sad fact that in a country such as this that there are so many people out there that are nothing more than a few paychecks away from being homeless.

I believe that our goverment has programed most to just point a finger and say it's thier own fault, they should have thought ahead. When in reality it's a sad fact that there are those who just don't make enough to save at all. The every day working class man/woman that gets up every day and goes to work, receives no goverment assistance and, lives paycheck to paycheck just to keep food in thier family's mouth and a roof over thier head. They imo are the ones hardest hit by the loss of a job in this economy, and the ones most likely to end up homeless.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I am a social worker who works in a homeless shelter. I have a passion and an obligation to help our clients progress toward independency. With that said, some people do choose to remain homeless and in many ways it is their "fault." Others do need to downsize from the lifestyle they are leaving and this is difficult. Finally, some, like this lady, make poor choices that keep them in the same homeless loop. Even though I am a social worker, I am not a bleeding heart and in fact tend to lean heavily toward a conservative stance and I feel that if a person is going to achieve independency, then they need to make a bona fide choice to do so and work hard at achieving their goal.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Well I can't speak for others but personally,I never said I don't care.It is a sad thing,and I understand a lot of people can't save much.The topic is about this lady,I am talking about her.YES,she could have saved.YES,she would have still took a hit when she lost her job,but she more than likely would not be in her current situation.
As I said in an earlier post,my wife and I have had our bank account bounce several times when we were blowing money and not saving.WE took responsibility and started living within our means.It's obvious she didn't need to be in a home that expensive and even in a town that expensive,she chose it.It's not that I don't care,I just believe in telling it like it is.Part of what's wrong with our country is we are scared we might hurt feelings,so we don't speak the truth.I tell it like it is.That was her fault.But with that I still do feel bad for her and wish her the best of luck in getting back to a hopefully great life.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

I have to disagree with the poster who said that there are those who can't save any money at all. Not in the US anyway. It's always possible to save some money, no matter how poor you are. It's all in your mind set, and how you spend your money. Unless the person has an extreme mental or physical impairment, there are always ways people can save extra money.

But your average poor person in this country CAN save money. I'm living proof of that.

Most people who are poor and complain they don't have any money left over to save are just making excuses, and not trying to come up with ideas to either make more money or save more, or both.

Why can't people stop expecting everyone else to take care of them? Be self-sufficient, and take care of yourself.

I don't feel sorry for these people . They made thier own bed. So to speak.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I agree. You can do the change savings or the dollar savings. At the end of each day you either have change left or dollars left. Take that change or the dollars and put it away in a savings account or in a jar. A nest egg is always ready to hatch when the parent takes care of it.

[edit on 5/21/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by blimpseeker

Your statement regarding her keeping her dogs tells me that you have no clue about the relationships between animal lovers and their pets. My dogs are my family, and I would not give them up for anything. They are my family. If you don't understand it, how can you form such an opinion? I am certain there are thousands upon thousands of us who DO understand, and I'm sure we would all do the same thing. If anyone read the story in its entirety, they'd know that several of her children live overseas. Her dogs undoubtedly provide her with companionship and unconditional love, and she should not have to give them up. I would sacrifice the roof over my head before I'd give up my dog family anyday. They are not replaceable, and what they add to my life is invaluable.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

While I feel bad for this lady, I have to say that I would bet my paycheck we are not getting the whole story. Drugs are involved here...I can feel it in the story. If they are not I would be amazed. I think life is what you make of it, and how tough you are. The goal of the world is to chew you up and destroy you. So you gotta beat the world at it's own game. Find a decent place to live NOT in a big city, get a simple job and do whatever it takes to make it.Hard work and brains will get you a long way. Luck is also important. IMHO

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69
This is people's own fault. I don't care what you're situation is. If you end up like this then it's you're fault. And I do realize that this is happening alot more. That's because everyone thinks they need to live like kings and queens. I gaurantee you if she was not living in such an expensive area that she would be fine right now. Oh lets just put it on our credit card. We really do need that huge SUV and that really nice tv. Don't forget our huge house that we can't afford either.

This is the people's fault. If we just took a little more responsibility for our actions we would not be where we are now.

It's ok though I got me a credit card. Why not buy it if I don't have to pay for it until next month right?

While the part about living beyond our means is totally right and 100% true for a lot of people, you cant compare your situation to this woman's at all because, as you say yourself, you do not live in an area that is remotely comparable. Also, she is a senior and you are a KID. You dont have the same needs at all. You are not experienced enough to pass judgment here. You also should consider that there are those who have worked many years to live well (not necessarily beyond their means) and have had the rug pulled out from underneath them.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

Although I don't favor judging a persons experience according to their age, this is a case where the shoe fits. You have a little growing up to do if you think that your meager experience grants you the high position of passing that sort of judgement on someone. You haven't walked a mile in her shoes (excuse the cliche'). Furthermore I find your monetary claims a bit fanciful or exagerated to say the least. Unless you live in the cheapest place in America.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by blimpseeker

Genius, she's 67 years old! Hold on, I'll let that soak in for a bit...... Got it now? What good is schooling goin to do a 67 yr. old in todays work force? Or ever for that matter. She's only ever going to obtain a part time job at her age. She hasn't much to offer any companies. They are looking for an investment in their employees, not health care "liabilities."

Why is it that no one can see that something is seriously wrong with this country when we suggest that a 67 yr. old get schooling to survive. Hello! She's is supposed to be retierd. I know that we don't live in that "perfect world" but again schooling isn't going to help her.

Please think before you post, especialy before you do it in such a saucy manner, " my bleading heart," your a sad excuse for a human being.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

I have lots of *stuff* and help the homeless because I don't want them stealing my *stuff* or worse, getting violent out of a sense of desperation and malnurishment.

When will we learn that this has nothing to do with compassion, and everything to do with security?

[edit on 20-5-2008 by Quazga]

Mod Edit: Entire quote of preceding post removed. Reply To function used. Please see ABOUT ATS: Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 21/5/08 by JAK]

Oh, I'm sorry for pulling the "Christian card" everyone. However, I can not resist. "I have lots of stuff," this comming from a person with a Cross for an avatar that reads INRI (Alchemical or Cabbalistic in nature however, yet Christian none the less)! I'm glad to see that this post is not without it's hypocrites.

If you are a Christian of any sort (or a human being for God's sake) your earthly possesions shouldn't be your hearts main concern. Not to say that you should be willingly robbed but my God you have some serious soul searching to do.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

If it was a women who made $8 an hr to begin with, I wouldn't read the story.. but because she used to be upper middle class, probably made over a hundred K a year and now she lives in a SUV? .....

Dear God, people, it does NOT matter what she did to get into this situation, but the very fact that she IS and is NOT ALONE ..... if that is not a sign of the times, what the hell is?!?!

Here we are again, now I know we don't always see eye to eye Rock but you realy laid a whopper at my feet this time. What exactly do you mean by saying if she was only making $8 per hr. to begin with you wouldn't have even read the story??? That's a mighty elitist thing to say don't you think, unless you were getting at something else maybe?

Remember, that you had even said that you once had to live on meager wages and "ramen noodles," as did I. Now how she got where she is doesn't matter I agree but the class that she is a part of is equaly unimportant here, or is it????

I will say that it is noble of you to want to contribute to the organization helping these people, however I must say that I have never heard a Freemason say something so (i guess I would have to say) intolerant. Not that it carries much weight, I do have to say that I am disappointed to hear something like that from you. I never figured you for that sort, even with all your pomp (that is readily over looked). Maybe you should remember that you may be the only example of what Freemasonry is to a person who has never been exposed to it.

As I said before, I'm glad to see that this post is not without it's hypocrites!

[edit on 22-5-2008 by lazy1981]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I cannot believe the lack of compassion in so many people who say "it's their own fault" for being homeless. The very fact that some of you who blame the homeless for their homeless-ness verfies that many are seriously missing a sensitivity chip.

Anyone, at any time could possibly be subjected to being homeless. Any thing can happen. Money, doesn't necessarily guarantee saftey and security. A good job, an education, and so forth guarantees nothing.

I know for many years I lived one step away from being homeless, as a resident in California. For those who say, "why don't you pack up and leave? go somewhere cheaper?". Well, that's alot easier said, than done my friend, let me assure you.

I had the world in my pocket. A degree, a good paying job, a modest and affordable apartment. Then BOOM, lost my vision and ability to walk. The following week I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. I didn't see that one coming.

So you see, I prefer to not judge this homeless woman so hastily. I have no idea how the dominos fell in her life to cause her to end up in her car. But I do know I could have easily been her at some point or another and so could anyone else.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
wow i have to admit there really r some people on here that r completely heartless.. some of the comments sound so, oh. i dont know.... rather bushy, cheny..while that maybe she shares some blame for keeping a house in that area.. and making some other bad choices. this is really about the neo=con greed thats killing our country.. some of the inept responces to her problems r so off topic, , but i think the point is where is this problem gonna stop..its evedent that bush and his oil cronies r the problem along with corperate america has been screwing us all.. they fill their coffers and basicly say to h**l with the public.. they can suffer as long as we get what we want. do any of u guys know what happens when a ceo ruins a major company.. they still get thier mulit million dollar severance package..even if the company goes bankrupt they get thier money but what happens to the employees.. they take it in the a**.. this is whats gonna happen to a big number of the middle class, and only a few will make it if this continues. and this is what happens when some of the attitudes here cause when that attitude gets into office... they sell us out for their own gain...

[edit on 22-5-2008 by scorand]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Okay, she has a car .... she hit rock bottom and has to start over. Drive that car to an area where the cost of living is more affordable, and start over there. She'd have a better chance of getting back on here feeet.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I believe we are seeing the effects of the

"There But For The Grace Of God, Go I"

fear/syndrome that is not only running rampant through our society, but is being actively, and profitably, fueled and fanned by those we would look to for leadership.

It is far easier to "blame" the unfortunate" for their predicament, than to acknowledge, as fact, that many, many of us by choice, circumstence, and even, in some cases, corporate design, live on the financial edge between survival and the street.

As resources become (or are percived to become, it matters little in practice) scarce, the existence of a "have some"-class in society is rapidly becoming a bygone concept; replaced in "dog-eat-dog" fashion by a much more prevelent "have vs. have not" model.

Why? CONTROL

Binary systems are far easier to model, predict, automate, and thus control.

When surival can be pared down to a perception of have vs. have not, it will be far easier to maintain control of the masses of "Have Nots" by insuring and re-inforcing their obedience with promises of survival over the assurances of death.

The "exploitation" of the fears 9/11 brought to the surface is far more than merely a excercise in political hubris.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Kind of ironic lol,my ex inherited 450k and decided she wanted to be single and moved to Santa Barbera,to make long story short she wanted to move back in with me and the kids after 2 yrs ,money doesn't go so far when living in the high rent district,maybe she should drive down to Goleta rents cheaper

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join