It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom forced to live in car with dogs

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeCobb

Mike,
I applaud you and your wife for being common sense individuals who see reality in your lives. Keep it up, your life will be much more simple and easier to live with than many others. Good luck and God Speed.

Zindo

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
Could someone explain to me why the initial thought goes to "Who is to blame?", instead of "What does this mean?"

Any critical thinkers in the house? Or are we all so self loathing that we need to place blame when we hear about these things?

Personally, I refuse to subscribe to what I'll term the "critical thinking is thinking the situation is critical" movement. Looking at anecdotal evidence isn't going to help. I daresay most of us on this board probably aren't the most reliable, stable, or employable folks in the world; I can say that about myself, and wouldn't be functioning in this world without the most wonderful (and stable!) woman in the world.

But who do you believe?

The government? Let's put shadowy conspiracy aside for a moment and realize that the weird, bogus data (yeah, anyone see that report that suggested gasoline prices went down last month?) is through years of bungling and bad policy changes leading us to believe, say, that unemployment now is lower than during the Clinton years. Don't get me started on how bogus the "reduced deficit" data is.

Mass media? Naw. It's an election year. The left-leaning media will do whatever it takes to make their candidates' position look good, while the right-leaning mass media, in extreme cases, isn't even acknowledging any sort of slowdown. Somewhere in the middle is economic reality.

Economic news outlets? Ditto. MarketWatch is surprisingly bearish, given that the Dow and by extension WSJ and MW are owned by Rupert Murdoch. Maybe the bearishness from the cheerleaders is a good sign?

Astrologers?

Extreme right who predict the Apocalypse will occur some time within the next two years?

Matthew 24:36, Mark 13:32, and Acts 1:7.

First-hand accounts like this? I've seen stories like this all my life. I was born in the 70s and remember seeing the pictures of what inner cities looked like back then. Poor East St. Louis; they went from the bust of the 70s to the bust of '08 without seeing anything but decline. You think the scenes in Escape from New York look bad? It looks horrible now, and it's no safer.

I don't know what to think. The more I read, the more I realize I've not seen just how deep the rabbit hole really is. Just when I think I've got it figured out, something else blindsides me--and I'm sure there's lots of behind-the-scenes stuff we don't even know about and probably don't want to know about.

I'd say that if and when fuel prices get under control and/or there's an energy policy put into place, and as soon as food prices get a little more under control (I expect that to happen, and fervently pray I'm not wrong) we'll go back to pretending the banks actually have money and move on with our lives, hopefully at a slower, less-extended, pace. Beyond us, God help the rest of the world. Hopefully, for their sakes, the BRIC countries are at a point where they can be self-sustaining, because I don't think we'll be much use, at least for a while.

God only knows what the future will bring, but I believe part of what's fueling the Apocalyptic rumors is that we're having an election year on the tail end of a bad President's reign over America.

greenfruit: As far as the homeless being largely mentally unstable people, that's also true in the U.S., which makes it all the more tragic that they are homeless. If anyone needs help, it's someone with mental illness.

[edit on 20-5-2008 by regeya]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuauhtemoc
Showing empathy towards the woman is one thing, but one thing I find strange is that at some point or another, some of these people decided to continue to make car payments and not rent/mortgage.

Are we that attached to our metal skin (cars)?

-Cuauhtemoc

It is easier to pay off your car loan than it is your mortgage. She is lucky to have her car to live in right now.

What gets me is that people are saying for her to get a job, but yet she already has a job. Probably the only job she can get at her age. For the person who said she needs to move into the area near there that has a lot of illegal immigrants, that actually might be insane for her to do. Who know how much violence is in that area let alone how safe she would be let alone feel in an area like that.

She and the other women there are already going through a culture shock. Yes, to go from living in your nice lavish home with a job that paid to the bills to living in a car due to being laid off would definitely be a culture shock. She more than likely needs the dogs just for her own sanity not to mention she probably feels much safer with them no matter how friendly they are towards others.

As for her children, who knows maybe society convinced them into being non-caring individuals such as many on this board are. They must have their reasons right or wrong.

The bigger problem is that this just started in California. Much of what happens there usually finds it way across the states to the east coast. I do believe all states will eventually be hit with more and more homeless as gas prices rise, food prices rise, less and less good jobs available, and competition of jobs with foreigners as more and more are allowed in on work visas.

The next industry to be taken down if Bush and co had their way would be the trucking industry. Many owner operators have already shut down because they can't afford to move their trucks any longer. Remember owner operators are the best truckers to have on the road, because they can't afford an accident and don't want their trucks damaged.

Now we have less owner operators off the road to be replaced by company drivers. Lets see, if prices go much higher then smaller companies will be forced to shut down. The larger companies who like to hire new drivers and don't train them properly are taking the other companies places. Now we have a lot of larger companies firing the older more experienced drivers so they can be replaced with cheaper newer drivers.

What happens when they run out of fresh new drivers, and won't hire any the more experienced because they have too many supposed "preventable accidents" on their DAC report? (truckers of report accidents that is much worse than a credit report)

They actually already started with allowing Mexican trucking companies to deliver in the US. Yep, US truck drivers will eventually be replaced by Mexicans with the mantra running that US citizens don't want to do this job. When in reality some of the major companies are really not paying enough for even one person to live on let alone if they had to send money back to their families. I seen one company pay 25 cent a mile to new drivers, and I know that company didn't give a lot of miles from the many complaints. Heck my husband use to make 33 cent a mile and we barely got by, and didn't get by if he got low miles.

Now the Mexicans make even less than 25 cents a mile. Now the companies get to reap even more profits.

Now we have the US government making laws that make it easier and more profitable for companies to outsource. We lost our steel mills, factories, call centers, and etc. Now even more companies are in sourcing, or bringing in more foreign people to take place of the US worker. First it is jobs that US citizens will supposedly won't do, when in fact it is just the employers don't want to pay enough for the US citizen to live on. Then it is the mantra that we don't have enough "smart people", and therefore need "others" who are smart to come and work for our companies. Where is it going to stop? How many industries will be taken over eventually?

Let's recap:

1) Much of our factory jobs that paid well have been out-sourced

2) More and more of our current jobs including service jobs are being in-sourced due to claims of US citizens refusing to do the jobs, or not being smart enough.

3) Retirement and getting fired/laid off forced on the older generation and those who can demand better wages due to experience, so companies can get younger, inexperienced, and cheaper employees when ever possible.

4) The housing bubble burst, and many homes are actually worth much less than what they were bought at. Coupling the fact that the interest on ARM loans sky rocketed. If it doesn't hit you one way it will hit you another causing financial stress and belt tightening.

5) Add in the gas prices sky rocketed over a short period of time. It wasn't that long ago when prices were well under $2 a gallon, or does everyone have a short memory.

6) Still adding is the rise in not only food prices, but just about the cost of everything from clothes to utility bills. Sorry hamburger meat is no longer under $1 a pound. Even here on the east coast it has increased to over $2 a pound unless on sale.

People are wondering why homelessness is on the rise? To everyone who says get a second job. What about those who had a good paying job, but lost it due to out sourcing, in sourcing, or being laid off who now have to get two jobs just to try to match what they use to make? Older people don't have the energy or strength as the younger crowd does to be able to juggle two jobs let alone trying three.

Yes, you heard me right. Two jobs to TRY TO MATCH what was previously being earned. Many of the older people know exactly what I'm talking about. The good factory and steel mill jobs that paid well gone over seas to those willing to work for less and even to those who will work or conned into working in sweat shops.

To everyone here, ask yourself are you really that secure in your financial situation? Have a good stock portfolio? What happens if the stock market plummets or even crashes? Hedging your bet on real estate? What if the market goes even further down because people can't afford to buy let alone rent in an ever increasing gas, food, and etc economy?

What happened to these people can happen to anyone. It is best to have multiple streams of income, which I wish I created earlier in life. I'm near the point were that lady is currently. Yes, I'm going in for a job interview tomorrow. No, I don't own an expensive home, but right now it wouldn't matter if it was worth a million or not when you can't pay the mortgage. Mine is only a 65K home in a low income area.

Usually when you live in an area where housing is low, it is also a low income area. Don't expect to move to a low income affordable housing if you are not prepared to travel a good distance just to get a decent paying job. With the gas prices, you would be going to work to fill the tank. Nice, huh?

Enjoy what you have while you have it. There are powers that be who want to make this country fall to it's knees, and are doing exactly that.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
So, while this woman's predicament is sad, it is also a statement on the choices she made, and also what's with her family that they can't help out their own mother?

Has ANYONE actually read the article, or is everyone really just presuming?

It's another chapter in her life that she's certain she'll get through. Her 19-year-old daughter moved in with friends to avoid being homeless. Her other children live overseas, and she didn't want to tell them about her living status.

Even if her children offered to help, she said, she wouldn't accept it. "They know me well enough to know that I will get through this."

"My daughter especially is very unhappy. Sometimes she'll cry, and she'll call and say, 'Mom, I just can't stand it that you are living in a car,' " Harvey said. "I'll say, 'You know what? This is OK for right now, because I'm safe, I'm healthy, the dogs are doing OK, and I have a job, and things will get better.' "

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I am 31 years old and also feeling the hardships too. I lice in a small city in florida and was sick of doing the same line of work because it was affecting my health which was boat building. I made a decision 2 years ago to start working toward my own business. I went and graduated college with a degree in AC refrigeration and heat. It looked like a good move considering the average temp in florida in the summer is 95. I can not even find work with another company until I can start my own business because people can not afford to fix the ac if it breaks and that is really bad. I have been going and just "rigging" peoples things so they can use it a bit longer. The country is going down the tubes and our leaders don't have the balls to do anything about it nor do they want to. I see an uprising in the future...

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by blimpseeker
oh my bleeding heart might fail me!
paleeease!

And we hear from another shallow thinker...

This is *NOT* about her, acting as such distracts from the real issue. This is not about bleeding hearts. It is about the security of society.

How safe is your neighbor hood if the homelessness rises 20%?

What does this do the crime rate? I have lots of *stuff* and help the homeless because I don't want them stealing my *stuff* or worse, getting violent out of a sense of desperation and malnurishment.

When will we learn that this has nothing to do with compassion, and everything to do with security?

[edit on 20-5-2008 by Quazga]

What's wrong with this picture?
a) In sixty something years living on the richest country in the world she managed to save nothing???
b) She is determined, or was, to live in one of the most expensive places in the USA, thus spending all her income on rent without thinking that a rainy day might come.
c) Apparently she had a pretty good lifestyle, living where she did, two dogs to feed, raising three kids, owning a car...

Why should I, or the government with my tax dollars, care about this brainless person, or anyone else like her?
Why should I pay for her stupidity, and have to bail her out of the troubles she brought upon herself?

I know these kind of people and I am glad, not really, that they finally pay the price. When the economy is good they spend away like there is no tomorrow. They spend what they earn, they borrow, they borrow, they borrow...
When the economy hits a bump they expect me, an other sensible people that always think about the future, to bail them out.

Meanwhile millions of people in countries that give them no chance have to beg for a meal since the day they are unfortunate enough to be born. They don't live in posh places, they live in slums, in the middle of other peoples #; they don't have too dogs to feed, if they saw a dog they would probably eat it; they don't have a car, they are so starved they can hardly move; they don't have three grown up kids that can help them, they have to see their children DIE.
These people had no past, have no present and no future prospects, they don't live they survive. They live in Africa, in Asia, in Central and South America. They would work for food if there was any work, or if they where strong enough to work; they would give their lives to see their kids being taken from them to go to the USA or to Europe, that way they wouldn't have to see them slowly dying.
These are the people I feel sorry for, and would be willing to help. I would even support a special tax for a third world relief program. I will not feel sorry for people that had every chance and brew it. Besides she still has her Kids, maybe they should be the ones to help her; she still owns a car, sell it an move some place more reasonable.

Can't live on 8$ an hour? A cop in Kenya has to live on 35$ a week, maybe she should try her luck there...
As for security...buy a dog (she apparently has a couple to sell).

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

If you think though... if she did those things, she wouldn't be homeless... thus no homeless problem.

She could give the dogs away at a pound (sure they might get put to sleep... but this is about her)... now she doesn't have to worry about the dogs.

She already has an $8 an hour job... she can find a cheap place to rent or live in a motel/hotel until she finds one.

It's possible for her (and others) to get out of homelessness.

The fact that she had a $1 million home and didn't have any money in savings is pretty much her own fault. You say it's not about just her... but other people as well. But, what if part of the problem is that these people are just not smart enough to put money into savings? Then it IS about them.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

As a conservative, I am very concerened about what a astronomically rising homeless rate means for the security of my stuff!

I think you are the shallow thinker here. Instead of having compassion for these women, all you care about is the security of "your stuff".

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
You know, the dogs may serve as pillows, but its time for her to find them a home- she wouldnt have to feed them and the dogs could be happier.

She has kids, and sometimes you have to swallow your pride and go with your kids temporarily and make the best of it until she can get a little room.

I feel badly for her, but at the same time, she wants everyone to know she's a victim and wants not help but pitty.

God helps those who help themselves. The main thing is get rid of the dogs, because there isnt one apartment building or motel who will take them. I wonder if she's even tried a shelter for herself?

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
rent rent rent... how it is outta control. I live in stamford, CT. FOr the past 15 years, give or take a few, rent has been outta control. 10 years ago, a studio apt. wnet forabout $1,200 a month. NOw, its about $1,400 a month. a House tha rents a room out, easliy, goes for about $860 a month, or more. Those that make $8.00 and hour, or even $12 an hour, you would either have to choose between food, or rent. Gas itself right now, aint helping, as wehere ilive is amongst the most congested traffic places yet... All stop n go traffic , eating up gas. and at $4.27 on 87 octnae a gallon, in a 8 galllon tank... by end of week, most of that $27 i put in is gone, justt for 8 gallons. How yuor living on $8 and huor, and paying such cheap rent is a mystery, but think your at least aomgst the lucky ones then

As for hte lady, she is 67, and prob not as ambitious as when she was younger. For her to loose all she had, its sad, especially in this once great wealthy country. As one of the others here said, the middle class is being squeezed... YES we are

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
hi,

Ive been on this board for a while now, however i just registered.
the reason i finally registered was because by page 2 on this site I realized how absolutely absurd the majority is being here.

the fact there's a discussion as to whether or not the woman is at fault for being homeless in her 60s is rediculous.

there are people on here talking about "how she got what she deserved", how its her own fault because she didnt plan ahead, because she lives paycheck to paycheck
because she was possibly trying to live the "american dream" B.S. because blah blah blah..the reason doesn't matter

none of us know the truth behind the 60+ years this woman has lived her life, the majority of the world doesnt even know the truth behind their own life. thats one of the main reasons theres a board like this...to uncover the truth because so many people out there think someone else in the world is screwing someone over in one way or another (vaguely speaking)

this is a conspiracy board. that means every single person who views a single page on this forum believes to some extent that there is some type of influence over someones life in the world and someone doesnt like it..

the Matter at hand here is the fact that theres homelessness

some people on this board have brought about the ideology that this is nothing new, they are correct, so thats the basis to the thinking, well its been going on for years prior so why bother addressing it now?? the problem with that is ....thats the exact thing the world leaders or powers that be who are conspiring against us are doing now and thats the reason for the problems in todays world.

should people do everything in their power to plan ahead and do everything possible to be self sufficient....you're damn right they should

but the truth of the matter is, in todays society. in the real world, in whats called life, no matter who u are, unless you have 7 figures in the bank, and i do not mean a 7 figure income, because at any moment, tonight, tomorrow, next week, that income can be lost, no job is "secure".
unless u have a million dollars in the bank right now you are one tragedy, one problem, one event, one illness away from losing EVERYTHING and being in the exact same position as the people who you are so quick to judge

this is a CONSPIRACY forum its insane and contradictory for people to be so quick to jump to blame instead of thinking that hey....maybe something happened in this womans life to lead her down this road, that maybe some outside controlling force caused this.

those who place blame on this woman should also sit there and say the "i told u so's" and all that other b.s. to the ppl in myanmar or china or in thailand during the tsunami or in california to all the ppl that lost their houses to the wildfires

i had to stop reading by page 2 because i felt the need to make a post. i truly am eager to continue reading the rest of the responses once this is posted to hopefully find some other intellectual people on this planet, however it is IMPERATIVE that people look past politics and money and corruption, greed etc. and get back to humanity ... except for the unproven e.t.'s we are all human and due to those in power... every single one of us who arent the powers at be are in danger, and until people realize that just because u have yours... that doesnt make you safe

and nothing personal against the 17-18 year old guy on here but i must say...im happy for you that you're in a position to take care of yourself and i wish you nothing but the best but u need to open your eyes and realize u have ALOT more life to live and alot to learn, for someone living off 1000 dollars a month to be pointing fingers at others is very risky ...i speak from past experience unfortunately.. you need to realize just like i said be4 but especially for someone with as low of income and young of age as you, we are all one problem away from disaster and can be in the same situation this woman is in

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
The tip of the iceberg. Where do you think the people go in the massive foreclosure crisis? To never never land? No. This is what happens. And it's only the start.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Dramey

Welcome to ATS and strap on your seatbelt. You're in for a heck of a ride.
You'll experience, love, hurt, pain, laughter, anger, and everything else that a human can feel.
Anyhow, glad to have you and hope you will stay. We grow on you.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

thank you very much, you have all already grown on me, i have been "sneaking around" the site for a couple months now and this is an incredible website and in my post i meant nothing offensive or personal as i truly respect this site and all the incredible contributions from all of you as my eyes have been opened vastly and has given me another venue to quench my thirst for knowledge. i truly could not imagine my life anymore now without some of the information this site has caused me to learn and research.

in reinspecting my post i realized i offered no solution to the problem. unfortunately as i ponder this question i realize, by todays standards and todays way of life, there is no solution for this issue. its not about this woman being homeless, or the drunks, druggies or the victims of disasters etc, its about our society and that so much has been corrupt and so many conspiracys have taken place by those in charge over the many many years of human history that we no longer live the way we should, painfully the only way this issue or any other true issue can be solved is by having take place what the U.S. mainstream media preaches so abundantly, we need change. but i dont mean the kind of change we will get when either hillary barack or mccain take control. we truly need a new "savior", a new leader to stand up and help those who seek the truth and intellectually find a way to make a peacefull change in todays destitute society.

edited for grammar and spelling

[edit on 21-5-2008 by Dramey]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
The tip of the iceberg. Where do you think the people go in the massive foreclosure crisis? To never never land? No. This is what happens. And it's only the start.

It should not be a crisis because we have had decades of prosperity and economic growth, with virtually no unemployment. In fact many businesses in the frontier States, with Mexico, are closing due to lack of employees and the new laws targeting companies using illegal emigrants. Arizona has been particularly affected, and they can't get legal emigrants, much less American citizens to work for them.
The fact of the matter is that these fat, dumb bastards are looking for a free ride, they don't want to work, they want A JOB and a well paying one.

This is a case of pure BLACKMAIL. These irresponsible individuals lived the "good life" and kept on spending and contracting debts while the going was good. Now where supposed to pay their bills, or their lack of savings for fear that they might get violent. Great system, should have thought of it myself. I'll just go out and mortgage my homes, spend a couple of millions in Vegas, buy myself a Bentley and a Ferrari. Then when my creditors come calling I'll buy, with my last bucks, a gun, become homeless and threaten society with my violence if they don't give me back what I wasted.
Like I said, Great System. Makes guys like me, that save up for the future, really happy about not having lived the "good Life", after all it seems that in this new society people are no longer accountable for their mistakes.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Total and utter bolderdash NorthWolf. You recommend lawless immigration to cure our ills. You are a funny man.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
[edit on 21-5-2008 by wolf241e]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69
This is people's own fault. I don't care what you're situation is. If you end up like this then it's you're fault. And I do realize that this is happening alot more. That's because everyone thinks they need to live like kings and queens. I gaurantee you if she was not living in such an expensive area that she would be fine right now. Oh lets just put it on our credit card. We really do need that huge SUV and that really nice tv. Don't forget our huge house that we can't afford either.

This is the people's fault. If we just took a little more responsibility for our actions we would not be where we are now.

It's ok though I got me a credit card. Why not buy it if I don't have to pay for it until next month right?

You have a credit card at 17?
I work in the F&I world, and at 17, credit companies cannot recover any losses, as you arent leaglly liable.

In other words.. I think what you mean is you have your parents credit card.
not your own.

CC companies do NOT issue Credit cards to Minors as primary cardholders.

[edit on 21-5-2008 by Ninja-san]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

Rent $200? Are you kidding me? I live in a small community in northern canada and you cant even rent a room in a boarding house for 200. In most places now rent is either equal to or more than mortgage prices and your telling me you pay 200? Do you live in a shipping crate or a storage locker something? I bet the lady from the story pays more to park her car in that parking lot than you claim to pay for rent.

[edit on 08/5/21 by metaldemon2000]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

It is not all the peoples fault ,it is the gready oil,and gov,people.i ran my owen co ,this year i made 85% less than last year,why because people cant aford to fix things,they are geting ready to go bankrupt from the price of gas.now luckaly i sold my co and down sized everything ,but i still am faceing forcloser,and i have 3 kids.so Hounestly blame it on congress and your president for geting richer on our backes

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join