It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Da vinci code true?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I was just wondering if any one new if the davinci code was true. Ive read the book and seen the film and i just wanted to know so I went onto one website which said that everything was true apart from the characters then i went on another website and that siad that it mostly just wasnt true. So does anybody know what is true and what isnt true.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It depends on who you talk to!

Certainly a lot of the themes in the 'story' are based on facts, although some of them are rather hard to get the 'truth' from. The 'powers that be' apparently destroyed all truth and left us in the wasteland we call reality now LOL. Such secret societies like the priory of sion seem to have been fact but what they protect and where they are now provides the fascinating questions that made the da vinci code such a best seller.

There are books that just look at the facts behind the fiction (cracking the da vinci code by simon cox seemed quite good) but makes you wonder whether they are simply cashing in on something you cant prove.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Well thanyou BigC I think i may look into that book cracking the davinci code

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
i think most of it has truth to it, but remember, the book is found in the fiction section. i don'rt recommend aurguing about weather it is true or not with anyone, its a pointless wast of time. neither side can be proven. but i quote a line from the book, "the winners side of the story is the one in the history books." i think you can see what side i'm on.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
oh, yeah, if you liked the Davinci Code, you sould read "angels and demons." i personaly liked it better than the davinci code... had a better story.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Actually I have read the book Angles and demons I thought it was great myself

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Dan Brown is a popular novelist who in the case of the Da Vinci code introduced nothing seminal. He merely but very cleverly, took all the theories of others and made it into a jolly good story. That's it, if you want to know if 'it's' true then look at all the non-fiction ideas that he mentions as his story and see where it takes you. I didn't read a fiction book for 10years because I find the real thing so much more exciting and interesting.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I haven't read angels and demons but dan browns style is gripping and once i started reading the da vinci code i couldnt put it down. I usually only read 'factual' books but the temptation and intrigue put out by dan brown meant this book took over my life for i think a week (given the family interruptions LOL)

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
That happened to me. I normally take months to read a book but when i read the davinci code i read it a week. I also hear that they are making a movie on Angels and Demons

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
[edit on 20-5-2008 by welsh alien]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
[edit on 20-5-2008 by welsh alien]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I am looking forward to that movie if thats the case, in fact that reminds me I shall have to read the book because I couldnt keep up with the film without it I am sure!

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Most of his ideas come from an earlier book titled "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", the authors of whom actually sued Dan Brown (and lost).

Unfortunately it's almost certainly a load of bunk - The so-called "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" are a proven fake, and with that the rest of the case falls apart piece by piece.

Good for a story, not good for history.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by welsh alien

My dear Alien... the man doesn't even know the meaning of Leonardo's name or how to use it.
(And I won't even mention basic- first year of Art History - iconographic issues...)

Would you trust such an ignoramus to know anything?

[edit on 20-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
A good read all the same I am sure you would agree. Anything that gives people an interest into alternative theories or hidden histories is great in my opinion, even if it is trash!

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Yes it is an excellent and fun read. I'll have to agree with another poster and tell you that Angels and Demons is a better story. I would love to spend some time searching through the Vatican's library like its hero did. I would imagine one could spend a life time reading all of those old manuscripts and documents.

If you enjoy reading, you may be interested in a series of books by Jack Whyte. He has a trilogy in the works about the Templars, which tie in nicely with the Da Vinci Code story....takes you back to the legend's roots. The first is called Knights of the Black and White which tells the story of the formation of the Templars, and the secrets they supposedly found under the ruins of Soloman's Temple.....Da Vinci Code stuff. An outstanding read!

The next in the series is called Standard of Honor. Another very good read which picks up later in the order's history during the Third Crusade, if my memory is correct, when Richard Coeur de Lion lead the campaign.

Next, according to Jack's web site is Fall of Baphomet which is yet to be published. I am looking forward ot the release of this book.

Jack also has a series of 9 books about the origins of the Arthurian legend called the Camulod Chronicals. I have read them all and feel like I have lost some friends after finishing them. Awesome books.

But again...these are ALL in the fiction section. Every one of his books is loaded with historical fact, however, and you will learn a lot of history from reading them, but the books are fiction none-the-less.

new topics

top topics

join