It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think "giving up the ghost" means?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I know it is prolly a strange question but I am just trying to figure out possible meanings.

Firstly, I have read in the Bible when people did something wrong, they gave up the ghost and died.

possible meanings ??

could it be the Holy Ghost leaving people?

do we all have a Ghost within us?

help! LOL

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Where in the Bible does it say that?

I've heard the phrase in day to day English to refer to death, but don't recall ever having read that in the Bible...

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The OT, plenty of examples :

The terms "giving up the ghost" or "yielding up the ghost" are found in the King James Version in describing physical death; burial is almost always included with the term e.g. "Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people

In the Old Testament, the original Hebrew word translated as "ghost" in the term "giving up the ghost" is pronounced gaw-vah and means to breathe out, to exhale. As actually written in the Holy Scriptures, "giving up the ghost" means nothing more than a dying breath.

"And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things. And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him." (Acts 5:5-6 KJV)
"Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband." (Acts 5:10 KJV)

Daily Bible Study

"And Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost." (Mark 15:37 KJV)
"And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, He said, Father, into Thy hands I commend My spirit: and having said thus, He gave up the ghost" (Luke 23:46 KJV)

ref as above

so there are many examples of this in scriptures...

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Is it not in reference to the saying..

"Ghost of a chance"

If you were 'giving up the ghost' then you were giving up any chance...

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Giving up the ghost always meant to me the death of a person and their spirit/soul leaving the body.

In the examples posted above replace the word ghost with spirit or soul, see if that makes more sense to you.

I don't read the KJ version as I believe the NIV is more accurate and uses language that we use rather than old english.

[edit on 5/20/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I have KJV x 2. What is the NIV?

I still think it is an interesting term. So, it is our ghost we give up?

How would this work in with the Holy Ghost?

I just feel this term is very intriguing.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
You mean the Holy Spirit?

NIV = New International Version

Most of the books of the Old Testament were originally written in Hebrew (with a few portions in Aramaic), while the entire New Testament was originally written in Greek. The Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek languages don't translate to English perfectly but the translation attempts try to stay as close to the originally written word as best it can.

We have a couple different Translation Philosophies:

Formal Correspondence Translations

Tries to stick as closely as possible to the original wording and word-order of the Hebrew and Greek texts. Thus they may seem more accurate or "literal," but often require detailed explanations in footnotes to avoid being misinterpreted by modern readers. They are good for in-depth academic study of the Bible, but may be less suited for public proclamation, since they can be difficult to understand when heard or read aloud.

Dynamic Equivalence Translations

Attempts to put the sense of the original text into the best modern English, remaining close to the ideas expressed but not always following the exact wording or word-order of the Hebrew or Greek originals. Thus they may seem less "literal" than the formal correspondence translations, but can be just as "faithful" to the original text, and are therefore generally better suited for public proclamation or liturgical use.

The NIV Bible (the most recent translation) was translated not by one individual but by 115 different biblical scholars and published in 1978. Translation Philosophy is a balance between word-for-word and thought-for-thought.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
You mean the Holy Spirit?

NIV = New International Version

Thanks for the expansion on NIV...

as for the Holy Ghost being Holy Spirit... there is the Holy Ghost and the Holy Spirit and I am quite sure, the Holy Ghost is distinct. The trinity: The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost. Pentacost... the disciples received the Holy Ghost.

I believe they are two separate things... unless I am wrong. I have read in the Bible where the Holy Ghost carries out work for God, visits and walks on the Earth etc...

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Maybe this will help your understanding.

www.gotquestions.org...

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I prefer the term "spirit" over ghost. When our physical body dies, our spirit is finally free.

The Holy Spirit is disclosure before you die, that's why it's called 'the truth' and why it says 'it will set you free.'

[edit on 20-5-2008 by Myrtales Instinct]

top topics

join