It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popstars and UFOs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
With the recent advent of Mr Robbie Williams joining ATS, I got to wondering about how deep the connection between popular music and the study of extraterrestrials and UFOs goes. I was pleasantly surprised, and not to mention intrigued, by my findings.

It’s sad to see, but wasn’t entirely unexpected (this is ATS, after all), that there has been a small, but unpleasant backlash against Mr Williams’ courageous, and honest reporting of his sightings. I’m not starting this thread to attack or defend either “side”, but to show, hopefully persuasively, that music, and popular music especially, is deeply ingrained with all things Alien.

Mr Williams, in declaring his interest, should be pleased to know he is in extraordinarily illustrious company. These are a few musicians who have openly stated that they have either seen, and in some controversial accounts, allegedly interacted with UFO occupants (sorry if they’re a little obscure
):

Reg Presley,
David Bowie,
John Lennon,
Jimi Hendrix,
Mick Jagger,
Keith Richards,
Michael Jackson,
Cat Stevens,
Elvis Presley,
Sammy Hagar.

And there are many more…

David Bowie famously incarnated during the 1970’s as the distinctly “alien/glam rock” Ziggy Stardust. The 1972 album, “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars”:

…presents the story, albeit vaguely, of "Ziggy Stardust", a Martian who comes to Earth to liberate humanity from banality.

en.wikipedia.org...

Whilst the history and rationale behind the album is well documented and very much a product of the times, we can take his interest in UFOs considerably further. In a 1975 issue of Creem Magazine, Bowie was interviewed by the journalist Bruno Stein, and made what is now his most famous quote with regard to UFOs:

I used to work for two guys who put out a UFO magazine in England…About six years ago. And I made sightings six, seven times a night for about a year when I was in the observatory. We had regular cruises that came over. We knew the 6.15 was coming in and would meet up with another one. And they would be stationary for about half an hour, and then after verifying what they'd been doing that day, they'd shoot off.

members.ol.com.au...
Bowie was well aware of the pitfalls of publicly speaking of ET, yet knew how to disperse it with minimum damage:

…it's what you do with the information. We never used to tell anybody. It was beautifully dissipated when it got to the media. Media control is still based in the main on cultural manipulation. It's just so easy to do. When you set up one set of objectives toward the public and you've given them a certain definition for each code word, you hit them with the various code words and they're not going to believe anything if you don't want them to.

(Same source)
In the same vein, in this clip from the Dick Cavett’s “Wide World of Entertainment”, he makes what seems an off-hand comment about UFOs:
nz.youtube.com...

There is an undeniable alien theme running through his work, undoubtedly fuelled by his interest in all things paranormal and conspiratorial and the excesses of his early professional life. One of his most successful acting roles was as Thomas Jerome Newton in the 1976 Nicholas Roeg movie “The Man Who Fell To Earth”. In it he plays a Ziggyesque character, this time stranded on Earth. He gives a strangely relaxed performance, as if the role fits him as well as the main character’s “human suit” does.
en.wikipedia.org...(film)

So it’s obvious that Bowie was comfortable, and willing, to promote his views candidly, as he knew just how far he wanted it to go. Canny man.

On August 23rd, 1974, John Lennon and his assistant and mistress, May Pang, witnessed a UFO from his apartment balcony in New York. She stated:

I remember I was just inside the bedroom getting dressed when John started shouting for me to come out onto the terrace. I yelled back that I would be right there, but he kept screaming for me to join him that instant. As I walked out onto the terrace, my eye caught this large, circular object coming towards us. It was shaped like a flattened cone, and on top was a large, brilliant red light, not pulsating as on any of the aircraft we'd see heading for a landing at Newark Airport. May says she and John stood there mesmerized, unable to believe what they were in the process of observing.

www.ufoevidence.org...

The encounter moved Lennon immensely, and he spoke of it often. In fact, he was so inspired that he not only included an account of it on the cover of his 1974 “Walls and Bridges” album:

nz.youtube.com...

But he also incorporated references in to two of his songs:

Like a UFO you came to me, and blew away life's misery..." - Out of the Blue, from the album Mind Games.

And

There's UFO's over New York, and I aint too surprised..." - Nobody Told Me, from the album Milk and Honey

The story deepened with the addition of “Night Aliens” and Uri Geller. In an alleged conversation with the famous psychic, Lennon apparently handed over a “golden egg” given to him by aliens. In Geller’s words, Lennon told him:

About six months ago, I was asleep in my bed, with Yoko, at home, in the Dakota Building. And suddenly, I wasn’t asleep. Because there was this blazing light round the door. It was shining through the cracks and the keyhole, like someone was out there with searchlights, or the apartment was on fire...I leapt out of bed, and Yoko wasn’t awake at all, she was lying there like a stone, and I pulled open the door. There were these four people out there… Well they didn’t want my f---in’ autograph. They were, like, little. Bug-like. Big bug eyes and little bug mouths and they were scuttling at me like roaches

www.telegraph.co.uk.../arts/2004/12/08/ftgeller08.xml

(Continued...)

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
(...Continued)

Lennon was a man in search of the spiritual, and though he avoided organised religions as such, his interests lay in the obscure.

Psychic vision to me is reality. Even as a child. When I looked in the mirror when I was 12, 13, I used to literally trance out into alpha. I didn't know what it was called then. I found out later there's a name for those conditions. But I would find myself seeing hallucinatory images of my face changing and becoming cosmic and complete.

www.musicouch.com...

His open minded philosophy, and possibly his attitude towards the UFO phenomena, if it can be summarised, is best put in his own words:

I believe in everything until it’s disproved. It all exists, even if it’s in your mind. Who’s to say dreams and nightmares aren’t as real as the here and now? Reality leaves quite a lot to the imagination."

There is an ocean of information about popstars and UFOs available online, far too much to post here.
I could tell you about the alleged blue light that shone above Elvis’s house when he was born (that kind of gives some credence to his “King” assignation. Perhaps “King of Kings” would be more appropriate!) Or that he purportedly had ongoing contact throughout his early life. Or that the man who took his first photograph as a star was also (supposedly) the photographer called in to film the Roswell autopsies…

Or about Mick Jagger and his UFO detector…

Or how Jimi Hendrix believed he was a messenger from another world…

It’s all too easy for mainstream media to denigrate musicians for declaring their beliefs. After all, they are stepping from a life replete with praise and success into a world rife with ridicule that resounds to the noise of derisive laughter. Yet the fact that people like Robbie Williams ignore these challenges and continue to pursue their opinion is a testament to not only their conviction, but indicates they are remaining true to the spirit of their profession.

As performers, not only are they free thinkers, but they are already forcibly distanced from convention and ordinariness by the very act of writing and performing music. To stand and tell a personal story of love or death, happiness and despair, belief and transformation via music so successfully that it stirs the emotions is, in itself, an act of disconnection from the accepted social order. To do so, they are elevated by their achievements, set apart from the rest by their talents.

Though living a life-style that is often destructive because of this adulation, the flourishing musician, through the driving passion of his continued work, maintains the ability to manipulate the sentiments and passions of the listener. He has an aptitude for accessing higher communication, can tap effortlessly into strongly held cultural concepts and sing aloud the unspoken reflections and perception of entire generations without fear, yet with a clear mind as to the responsibilities this aptitude entails. Though idolised, they know they continually walk a fine line between continued success and obscurity. Their career’s, literally, hang on their every word. And like any creative soul, they undoubtedly offer their work to the world as if it were a child handed away for the first time.

Yet, their speaking of UFOs and all the fall-out that entails comes easily, and often with sincerity.

Their work furnishes a tool that, for three or four minutes, can fuse us together as a species united by a collective, emotive commonality. We forget our ordinariness, perhaps recalling in the song’s brief tune happy, or sad, times that, if compared, would find frighteningly similar memories in us all.

Yet, we are all, in some way or another, transported somewhere else by music.

I believe it’s this talent that connects “popstars” and UFOs. Mr Williams, and all the others I’ve touched on, is capable of standing before vast numbers of people and communicating a concept successfully, all whilst standing separated from the crowd. He and his colleagues exceed our meagre capabilities, give us the feeling of belonging, of being one, though in return we raise them up above us.

The belief in UFOs, and all related subjects, can isolate the individual, but that stumbling block has been ignored by Bowie, Lennon etc. as they already led, or lead, sheltered existences.

To declare their beliefs is just another part of a proficiency in declaring their willingness, and capacity, to rebel. Regardless of the cost, they know their voices only go to help convey the significance of a universally sensitive subject.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
dusting off my memory from when i lived in london years ago, i remember an individual named 'daniel transit' who would bring out an irregular publication called 'globe in transit' that dealt with pop stars and their connection to ufo's (i think i saw it advertised in fortean times). you only paid the cost of the postage and would be sent the latest issue.

a quick search on the net reveals daniel appears to be around still and has a website here where you can read more. not the best looking website i've seen but a lot of information hidden in there.

nice to see that daniel is still around and active as this was 20 years ago! you can still receive the information for the cost of the postage it seems

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I actually sent of for his, errm, publications many years ago. Something along the lines of "Bowie is influenced by aliens". Well worth the stamp!

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Beamish

lol - you also?

i had a few of them and while some of it seemed a bit, shall we say 'out there' it was definitely worth the postage stamps i sent.

whether you agree with daniel's findings or not, at least here is someone prepared to offer their own hard work for no money other than to cover the postage - even after 20 years time!!! where else can you get a 52 page report such a price?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I wish Geller didn't ruin the John Lennon one. He claims John Lennon gave him this circular orb. You can prolly google pics of it. (Geller is a tool). The bowie alien thing, well, thats because he identified with being an outsider, and it fit in with his whole "gay" thing, being different, being strange, being an alien.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Hi.

Good on Robbie for coming forward with his beliefs.
Some people will rip on him no matter what he does,yet despite the fact that he is a highly successful entertainer,he is still a human being like the rest of us.

I admire him for the stance he has taken,particularly as the British gutter press will probably slaughter him for it.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Hi there Beamish! Interesting thread

I would add two short notes.

1) The first time I ever heard about the Battle of Los Angeles was on a Rage Against the Machine Album Cover

2) We can't forget one of my all time favorite bands, Incubus! From their Album, Morning View, and the song, Wish You Were Here:

"I lay my head into the sand,
The sky resembles a backlit canopy
With holes punched in it.
I'm counting UFOs,
I signal them with my lighter,
And in this moment I am happy,
Happy..."

Nice fun thread Beamish, star and flag from me

-WFA

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jetflock

Hi jetflock.

I wish Geller didn't ruin the John Lennon one. He claims John Lennon gave him this circular orb.

I agree that our Uri does kind of turn every thing he's involved into a Disney production. The circular orb you mention was described as a "Golden egg". I have no idea if this version of events Geller described was ever debunked. Some searching is called for here...

The bowie alien thing, well, thats because he identified with being an outsider, and it fit in with his whole "gay" thing, being different, being strange, being an alien.

Yes, I agree, that he assumed the Ziggy persona because it fitted his state of mind, but it doesn't quite explain away his involvement with the UFO phenomena before he decided to re-invent himself. (And I don't think he's technically "Gay". Bisexual would be a better description.)

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by scobro

Hello scobro.

Good on Robbie for coming forward with his beliefs.

Couldn't agree more. And, as you rightly point out, it simply does not matter that he's famous. All that counts is that he's decided to address questions raised by fascinating events that happened in his life. The fact that he's doing it in full view of his fans and critics only adds to his sincerity, in my opinion.

Edit: hiding signs of stupidity

[edit on 20-5-2008 by Beamish]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by WitnessFromAfar

Hiya Witness

Yep, you just can't escape the music/alien connection. From a brief search I found this from Ringo Starr:

www.jpgr.co.uk...

and this from Hawkwind:

www.datasync.com...

this from a band named Guru Guru

www.geocities.com...

this from the wonderfully titled Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso U.F.O:

www.geocities.com...

and this from Sufjan Stevens:

bp1.blogger.com...

In fact, the more you look, the more proof there is that the whole ETH meme has inflitrated the music industry to a huge extent. It obviously isn't a conspiracy theory, but a testament to the power of the idea of extraterrestial existence.

[edit on 20-5-2008 by Beamish]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
MATT BELLAMY of Muse!

I know he's heavily into conspiricy theories and Ufology. they re-create UFO landings on-stage and stuff. I dunno much about it. I just know he does it

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

This is a book that I bought once about Jimi written by Curtis Knight. Curtis Knight used to be close friends with Jimi and played alongisde him in different bands before he became famous. It's a pretty interesting read especially for big Hendrix fans and is about him in truth being a sort of messenger from another place and time. It talks about how Jimi was very spiritual, had a huge interest in science fiction and UFOs (which he incorporated into his music), and if I remember right I think Curtis talks about how he, Jimi had a close encounter with an alien. Its pretty interesting.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
A very interesting hip hop MC (no it's not an oxymoron) named Kool Keith has entire albums dedicated to UFOs and space. See "Kool Keith is Black Elvis/Lost in Space". I think he 'jokes' about being a part of the Galactic Federation (First Chair) or something very random. He's probably joking, but he is very entertaining none the less.

-Cuauhtemoc

[edit on 20-5-2008 by Cuauhtemoc]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Sammy Hagar claims that he was abducted. The Van Halen song Love Walks In is about alien contact, it's not a love song the way most people assume it is...he wrote it about his contact with alien beings. He's been quite open about his experiences when asked in the past, but he doesn't call very much attention to it otherwise.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I can't seem to find a working link for the Kool Keith Video on YouTube, anyhow check it out...he is broke and I love him for it.

The song is called Aliens...find it by searching: Dr. Octagon - Aliens

not a plug, semi on topic, kinda.

-Cuauhtemoc

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I believe that alot of people have had some sort of connection to "Aliens"/"Space Ships", and those celebrities are some of that percentage. Of coarse they are probably a small percentage of the celebrities that come foward. I talk to almost everyone about my wierd events in life, I might look like a kwack but they are the truth to what happened in my life. You would be amazed how many other people have their own stories, and some don't like to talk about it with others cause of fear of ridicule. So those celeb's are brave for come foward since they'll face more scrunity than you or I.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
www....(nolink)/?ofstrddnr9m

pop stars on the verge... somehow either via fan mania or psycho sabotage...
are surrounded suddenly by these images.

www.30mileshigh.com
for the music

www....(nolink)/?ofstrddnr9m

again, for the pics.

i love the sound but im scared

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
reply to post by Spaxz

But ask yourself this:

Why did RW need to let everyone here, and around the world know this story? Everyone else here is anonymous - so what's with RW?

The thing is: he hasn't exactly been selling many albums recently. In fact, his career is in a serious mess! He's tried everything, even to the point of trying to hang out with heay rockers - but to no avail.

PR men get paid for one thing only: getting their clients PR - any way they can. This seems to me to be nothing more than a free publicity stunt on RW's behalf. I feel that ATS is simply being used by RW and his management to try to prop up what is fast becoming a very unprofitable musical carrer that is in rapid decline.

Don't kid yourself folks, RW and Co. KNOW what they're doing here. This is all about dollars and cents - nothing more.

It's easy to say things like this from behind an anonymous post.

The guy has sold millions and millions of albums. I seriously doubt he's in need of money. Even if he was in need of money, there's better ways he could have gone about making some. Keep in mind he didn't come to ATS first with his story. From what I read, it looks to me like Springer got in touch with him since he mentioned ATS in that first article that was written and they started chatting back and forth before Springer even posted anything on here.

All these negative posts are obviously being written by people who can't stand him simply because they hate him and his music. Most of them have made it pretty clear in their posts. They got mad when he wouldn't post as himself on here then said that Springer was probably talking to a fake. Saying things along the lines of "How can we take him seriously when he posts under an anonymous ID and we won't know who he is?". Then RW admits who he is and those same people who attacked him for posting under an anonymous ID went straight into attacking him and his music because that's all they wanted to do. They didn't care for what he's saying he saw, they just wanted to attack the guy because they hate him. That's pathetic.

I don't think this is any publicity stunt IMHO. If you want to see an obvious publicity stunt going on right now, look at Mariah Carey and her "surprise wedding". Her album started slipping in sales a little bit then suddenly all this marriage talk started and album sales rose.

RW isn't even promoting anything right now (that I know of). So he'd have no need to pull a publicity stunt. Plus he's been pretty quiet the last couple of years from what I've read. Why wait that long then pull a publicity stunt? Doesn't make any sense.

And to make it clear. I'm not even a fan of RW. Only songs I've ever heard of his are Angels and I believe the other was called Millenium. Never heard of the guy until I saw him on MTV Cribs I think it was. I just think it's very pathetic that a good chunk of people are coming here simply to say they hate him and his music and then call him crazy because of something he's experienced.

I wish more celebrities would come out like this. Then maybe more people would take this subject more seriously.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Interesting how the entertainment industry was always there to shift the balance between the acceptance and denial of the Ufo situation, and furthering the debunking techniques as told to do so by the Military, but now, as the time draws near for the end of the military contracts of Ufo secrecy, many people feel that it is time to come forward.

I dont think that it is an attraction to entertainers per se, more just sheer numbers coming forward with what was once a possible threat to a career.

At one time you could put all the top entertainers in one big arena, now, forget it too many.

If there was any real connection here it would be that these entertainers are running major amounts of pure light energy when they get on stage. Soul energy amplification.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join