It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phone calls & email database considered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

[QUOTE] Ministers are to consider plans for a database of electronic information holding details of every phone call and e-mail sent in the UK, it has emerged.

The plans, reported in the Times, are at an early stage and may be included in the draft Communications Bill later this year, the Home Office confirmed.

A Home Office spokesman said the data was a "crucial tool" for protecting national security and preventing crime.

Ministers have not seen the plans which were drawn up by Home Office officials.

A Home Office spokesman said: "The Communications Data Bill will help ensure that crucial capabilities in the use of communications data for counter-terrorism and investigation of crime continue to be available.

"These powers will continue to be subject to strict safeguards to ensure the right balance between privacy and protecting the public."

The spokesman said changes need to be made to the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 "to ensure that public authorities can continue to obtain and have access to communications data essential for counter-terrorism and investigation of crime purposes".

But the Information Commission, an independent authority set up to protect personal information, said the database "may well be a step too far" and highlighted the risk of data being lost, traded or stolen.

Assistant information commissioner Jonathan Bamford said: "We are not aware of any justification for the state to hold every UK citizen's phone and internet records. We have real doubts that such a measure can be justified, or is proportionate or desirable.

"Defeating crime and terrorism is of the utmost importance, but we are not aware of any pressing need to justify the government itself holding this sort of data."

'Appalling record'

A number of data protection failures in recent months, including the loss of a CD carrying the personal details of every child benefit claimant, have embarrassed the government.

The plans also prompted concern from political groups.

The shadow home secretary, David Davis, said: "Given [ministers'] appalling record at maintaining the integrity of databases holding people's sensitive data, this could well be more of a threat to our security than a support."

Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne called the proposals "an Orwellian step too far".

He said ministers had "taken leave of their senses if they think that this proposal is compatible with a free country and a free people".

"Given the appalling track record of data loss, this state is simply not to be trusted with such private information," said Mr Huhne. [/QUOTE]

I've just about had enough of this government. Can't someone tell them that 1984 was supposed to be a novel, not a manual!

This is another disgusting example of the death of democracy.

As long as governments react to the terrorists and change our way of life - the terrorist have won.

[edit on 20-5-2008 by NeoSpace]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoSpace

Most people will accept this just like they accept every intrusion under the disguise that is meant to keep us safe.

In the meantime most of the population are too busy working their bums off just to support their famlies, they are just too busy, too distracted to make any meaningful objection.

I predict we will take this, and then thank Big Brother for keeping us safe from the "terrorists"

I hope I'm wrong.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I think its time that the entire UK just sinks into the ocean.unlike in USA where there could be resistence there would hardly be any in UK.thanks for the light that their plans would fail.already the artic would be ice free by this summer,hopefully entire Uk and Europe would be flooded this year and would force the govt to change their draconian plans.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by greenjuice

I've always found it interesting and a little funny when people from the UK make posts about "Nazi Amerika" (notice the K in the spelling, thats very important)
when in reality its the UK that has turned into a ultra paranoid 1984 society.
Ill admit that since 9/11 the US is also headed in that direction but we are putting up somewhat of a fight, not with guns but through the courts.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
sorry if i offended you but brits aren't doing enough,same thing is happening in other developing countries like India where the govt would force each and every individual a biometric id card by 2011.My only hope is that the world economy crashes and this cause the govt to abandon such unnecessary expenditure.
all i know is that this time we would win with the help of the light.NWO wont succeed on this planet.

[edit on 20-5-2008 by greenjuice]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by greenjuice

I wasnt referring to you green, in fact I wasnt really referring to any particular member here.
I just that all you see on this forum is the bashing of America and its policies which I admit we do have serious problems but if you search around on the net youll notice that you will find many, many more topics on the UKs surveillance based society in comparison to ours here in the US.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Yeh I think you are right. Most people accept everything. None stands for what they think anymore. It’s a deliberate intrusion in our lives we cannot allow. Now I always use 0800 numbers service.

new topics

top topics

join