It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 2012 theory.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I have just found this site recently and was surprised by the amount of threads relating to the doom of 2012. So, I just wanted to stick my sceptic nose in have my say, also I would like to use this thread to say hello to all the members.

The theory;

• The sun, as it does every 11 years, spits out enormous bursts of solar energy/radiation due to its polar shift cycle. The next is due in 2012.
• At the same time Jupiter and Saturn are lined up to inflict more gravity on the sun during its solar activity, making it wobble.
• On December 21st 2012 we will be “in-line” with the centre of the galaxy putting greater gravitational force on our solar system.
• The Mayan Calendar ends on December 21st 2012.
• As a result a shift in the Earth poles will happen.

I have a lot to go against these theory’s, as follows;

The suns burst of solar radiation happens every 11 years. The last time it happened nothing serious came to light.

The gravitational forces of Jupiter and Saturn combined will have very very little effects on the Earth, let alone the sun.

The centre of the galaxy thing happens once every 26000 years or so. Hmmm… 4 years left until that happens. By my calculations wouldn’t we be feeling 99.9846% of the force now? In 2001 (the last solar burst) we would have felt 99.6921% of the force. Surely that extra 0.3% can’t be much to write home about.

The Mayan calendar ends on December 21st 2012. The Mayans developed a calendar that spans from aprox 3000BC to 2012. That’s 5000 years. If the Mayans had been the major power in the world and continued to be so to this day and we were all using Mayan calendars now instead of our traditional one, would we not be adding another baktun to our calendar instead of saying we are all going to die? It’s similar to the problems seen in 2000 when computers couldn’t understand a date past Dec 31st 1999. Did we just throw all of the computers out the window because we couldn’t use them?

There is no evidence to suggest that a shift in the Earths poles has ever happened over night or as quick as is being suggested. The last was 740 thousand years ago, through history this has happened between 5 thousand and 1 million years apart and over a period of many hundreds of years.

So, my theory is that there are a group of scaremongers out there trying to cash in on this hype about a disaster in 2012. This in it’s self is a conspiracy, to sell material to the believers and impressionable.

P.S. Great site and some fantastic and well mannered members.

Cheers,
Jab0rnal.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Or............ is 2012 just another (internet) date like 2000 was to get all the gullible and desperate people that need to fill the void, left by the disappointment of nothing good happening for the past several thousand years of religious/spiritual (+ modern day UFO) waiting? But may be just may be it will all end or start or they'll finally arrive in 2012. Or is 2012 the real 2000 date because of the various date changes or the millennia?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I've never bought any 2012 paraphernalia. closest thing i ever have or will buy relating to the date, was Rush's 2112. ( \nn/ )

I'm not going around printing out "i lived through 2012 and all i got was this stinking T shirt" shirts.

I think you're sitting here trying to convince yourself that 2012 is no big deal.

enjoy the solo convo.

-

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Hello,

Prevenge, I’m not trying to convince myself of anything, the way I have interpreted your post is that you don’t have the intelligence to respond with a decent argument. I have clearly upset you which shows you have some belief in the topic of which I don’t. However, people like you rarely offend me as I, and others, pity you.

If it is a “solo convo” as you so elegantly put it, perhaps because you cant spell conversation or just lack the aptitude to type correctly, I will have at least put my opinion across which is what this post intended to do, not to convince anyone but to promote open discussion, or is that not what forums are intended for.

My earlier statement “well mannered members” perhaps shouldn’t stand, congratulations for casting a poor light over this forum.

A saying I often quote – “If you have nothing good or productive to say, shut the * up.”

Cheers,
Jab0rnal

[edit on 21-5-2008 by Jab0rnal]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge
I'm not going around printing out "i lived through 2012 and all i got was this stinking T shirt" shirts.
-

hahaha...I'm gonna do that when 2012 passes. you wanna split the profits 50/50?

As for 2012, this seems like its posted...umm...just about every day. I used to be into it, but then after alot of research till I was blue in the face, ultimately I realized there is nothing you can do about it either way, so might as well just let it come. And whatever happens, happens.

Welcome to ATS by the way homie.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Hi JabOrnal,

The fun part of the discussion about 2012 is that we all (most of us anyway) only have to wait another 4,5 years and then we know who was right and who was wrong.

I am a believer that "something" is about to happen on the 21st of 2012 but it could be that only a small group of people will notice the changes.
I am pretty sure that 2012 is not the end of our planet but I am convinced that it is the beginning of a new era.

By the way it's not just the Mayans, also the veda's speak of the age we are living in.

About the shifting of the earth poles, this happenend not to long ago (about 26000 years ago). Especially in Egypt there's a lot of stuff to prove this statement.

What do you think of the Nibiru theory? A hug planet passing could cause more dramatic effects than just the solar burst and the jupiter/saturn alignment, don't u think? (just for arguments sake!)

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I am sure there is a lot of threads on this, but at least one or two (the only ones on this subject I've ever been interested in) are definitely not about "gloom and doom".

I think you might enjoy this recent thread. (I must say, it has been strangely ignored...
)

Personally, I don't think it's a conspiracy of any kind. It's just a bunch of theories developed - from 1987 on - on the basis of one man's calculations. (Which, as I never tire of saying, does NOT automatically imply that it is untrue.)

And there is no real basis for all the many assumptions (I don't mean yours specifically) that it has anything to do with the gravitational field, or the sun, or anything like that. (Again, it MIGHT - but if so, it certainly doesn't follow from the original material.)

Which, naturally, means that all calculations are necessarily futile, too...

[edit on 21-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I don't wanna overdo the 2012 thing on ATS because its been done so many times, but 2012 is simply the start of a new cycle to the Myans from what I understand, not the end of the world.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Firstly, thanks for the human responses. I had just lost faith in the forum there for a moment. I understand that 2012 has been covered a lot. I got my (sorry, its not mine its just one I found) theory from reading posts on this site and doing some other research and just wanted to put my theories across for discussion. Not too in depth, a bit of casual debate was my aim.

I guess you can say I’m a sceptic and genuinely believe that many things can be explained away. I get the impression that sceptics are not very welcome here by some members but in my mind sceptics are healthy to discussions of this nature.

Ok, my Nibiru or planet x view. There have been a lot of missions to planets using probes and other craft. There have been no inconsistencies on the probes course thought these missions which may be expected from a large object hanging about in space.
The Nibiru specific storeys of “that’s where we came from, a genetically modified human by another “Nibiruian” race”. Well, Nibiru has a 3600 year orbit which comes close to the sun and reaches far out to Pluto and beyond. I believe our solar system couldn’t withstand an object of planet size undertaking an orbit this radical. Life is fairly fragile and it could never have developed to the extent is has if this scenario had been happening this frequently, we would have to harsh an environment for it to exist.

Being an amateur astronomer I know that we would see an object the size of a planet if it got inside the obit of Pluto or Neptune, no doubt and it would already be there if it was expected to arrive in 4 years.

Also, I can’t comprehend the orbit period with what has been suggested by my readings.
Give the supposed orbit of 11740 (10 to the power of 6) km and a orbit time of 3600 years that gives an Orbital Velocity of approximately 372kph. Now the slowest planet(ette) in our solar system is Pluto with a speed of 16920Kph. To make it reasonably plausible we would have to extend planet x’s orbit to a region of about 44025000000Km (7.5 times that of Pluto) or 294 AU. Now this is a circular obit but even if this was an elliptical obit it would still see planet x crashing through the Kuiper belt twice each orbit. Would we not see a lot more rouge comets/asteroids than we do. I.e. we would already be wiped out.

Unless it’s a recent thing, a rouge planet captured by our suns gravity but that’s a whole new discussion.

My analysis of the situation is that we should be more afraid of comets and asteroids.

I’ve typed too much and I said I didn't want to go into too much.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jab0rnal
Firstly, thanks for the human responses. I had just lost faith in the forum there for a moment.

Hello and Welcome to the site Jab0rnal, you will see there is going to be alot of people questioning your posts if you decide to keep posting. Just remember there is alot of receptive minds on here. The waspish people on here have to get the last word in....just ignore it. The majority of us on here have an open mind.

I look forward to your posts!

-Kdial1

[edit on 21-5-2008 by kdial1]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
My take on this issue “ 2012”
It has been known about it for some time now, that the Mayan Calendar will end on this date 21st December 2012.
I am not 100% sure but I think it has been known for more then 30 years. The reason why it wasn’t publicised is;
I can only guess that all the publishing company wanted to make money first with End of Days Millennium 2000 and to catch up with the Mayan phenomenon later for more money.
Now, what will be interesting is to find out about a new Dooms Day scenario which should now been in construction.
If any one as come cross some kind of end of days scenario post 2012 , then I will be happy to hear from it.

Kacou.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Thanks Kdial1, thats good advice.

I'm going to take time to read the other posts and respond to them soon.

All the best

new topics

top topics

join