It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I kinda feel bad for this guy if he is telling the truth...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 05:40 AM
link   
[link]http://www.nbc10.com/news/2882572/detail.html[/link]

PHILADELPHIA -- A Philadelphia man confessed to NBC 10 Friday about how he found money in his pockets and blood in his home. Now he thinks he is responsible for crimes he doesn't remember committing.

Man Confesses To NBC 10
Lynwood Lanier, 43, said he called NBC 10 to confess because he was scared for his family and himself. NBC 10 notified the FBI before interviewing Lanier and they said he had called them, as well.

Lanier cried uncontrollably as he talked about the horrible crimes he thinks he committed. He also cried as FBI agents lead him away in handcuffs.

"I don't know what's going on with me. I don't know if I committed these crimes or not," Lanier said.

But FBI agents told NBC 10 that they are positive they have the right man, because they have a surveillance camera picture of Lanier robbing Citizens Bank on Frankford Avenue on Feb. 19. They said they believe he robbed a total of six Philadelphia banks in the last four weeks.

"I don't know what I did. Some days I black out. ... One day I woke up and I had $2,000 dollars on my bed. So, I said, 'Where did I get all this money from?' And then I called my girlfriend and she said police were there looking at me for a bank robbery. I said, 'I didn't rob no banks. I been here asleep," Lanier remembered.

Lanier said he burned most of the money and threw the rest away. He said he hears voices that tell him to do bad things -- like hurt people. The father of three said he thinks he has committed more serious crimes.

"I had a dream and I killed these girls and I woke up and I looked at the news and I seen these people dying and stuff and I'm thinking I had something to do with it. I woke up one time with clothes in my bed and I didn't know who they were for, and (I found) blood on me one time. I don't know," Lanier said.

NBC 10 reporter Alicia Taylor asked Lanier if he recognized the faces of the women he saw in his dreams.

"All I know is that it's a black woman and two -- I don't know if they're light skin or white. I don't know," Lanier said.

Lanier was charged with two of the robberies Friday. The FBI and the Philadelphia Police Department are looking into unsolved murders in the city.

Lanier's sister-in-law told NBC 10 News that their family had no idea that he was involved in criminal acts. She said he has had psychological problems for a very long time.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Strange that he should go to the media before the police, isn't it?
What purpose could the media serve except to highlight your defence?

Psychological problems maybe, but I reckon this guy knew what he was doing when he committed the crimes. He seems to have enough mental capacity to prepare his defence anyway.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   
excuses, excuses, excuses.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I think it's strange that he would go to the media at all, when he had plans to call the officials. I don't think it matters when he went to them.

It's an interesting situation, though. If I recall correctly, a few years back a man murdered someone when he was sleepwalking, and was clinically diagnosed as a somnambulist. I'm pretty sure he got off the charges because of that. I'll have to look for the article.

But it brings up the question of whethere one is still responsible for their actions when they're not conscious of what they're doing due to a mental condition, not meaning insanity. ie. somnambulism, or entering a fugue state.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
Strange that he should go to the media before the police, isn't it?

He didn't.

It says in the text that when NBC contacted the FBI, the Feds admitted that he had already been in contact with them.

But yeah, I agree. It seems very odd that he woudl go to the media for any reason. I can't understand the thinking behind that one.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Maybe he went to the media to sturdy his defense, get his side of the story out there.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I figure there's at least 100 hours of my life I can't account for personally. But my friends assure me that I don't want to know anyway.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Hmm....very weird. I qonder what happend.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Hmm....very weird. I wonder what happend.

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by AD5673]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Reminds me of that book from Dean Koontz...

"The bad place" I think it was named...

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
Reminds me of that book from Dean Koontz...

"The bad place" I think it was named...

"Tick Tock" by him was pretty good too

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
If the guy is telling the truth, one word: MKULTRA.

[Edited on 3-1-2004 by EmbryonicEssence]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cutwolf
[link]http://www.nbc10.com/news/2882572/detail.html[/link]

Lynwood Lanier, 43, said he called NBC 10 to confess because he was scared for his family and himself. NBC 10 notified the FBI before interviewing Lanier and they said he had called them, as well ...

Sounds like he went to the media out of desperation. The Feds probably just wrote him off as a nutter until he went on air.

He said he hears voices that tell him to do bad things -- like hurt people. The father of three said he thinks he has committed more serious crimes.

That sounds like schizophrenia to me.

top topics

join