It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa sponsors course on how to talk to aliens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
This is my very first post and I hope it gets some theorists rattled. Firstly it was the Vatican announcing aliens can be real and now this. Maybe a disclosure is coming soon!!

The US space agency Nasa is sponsoring a university course on how to talk to aliens.

English students at the University of Wyoming are being encouraged to consider the possibility that humanity might one day make contact with aliens and then not know what to say.

"Interstellar Message Composition", a creative writing class, is believed to be the first of its kind to engage writers in a potential cosmic conversation, say its founders.

"We’ve thought a lot about how we might communicate with other worlds, but we haven’t thought much about what we’d actually say," Prof Jeffrey Lockwood, the course leader, told ABC News.

The course, currently being taken by 11 students, is partly financed by Nasa’s Wyoming Space Grant Consortium, which sponsors educational and research projects in the state that support the agency’s missions.

Among questions tackled in Prof Lockwood’s class is how aliens might communicate, whether they would be able to translate human language, and whether they would be able to see or hear.

One student, Dixie Thoman, created a poem about menstruation with syllables arranged in a mathematically harmonious order, known as the Fibonacci sequence.

Recordings of the Brandenburg Concerto and Johnny B Goode are among those that have been beamed into space over the years in an attempt to provoke an extraterrestrial response.

The course is being advised by Douglas Vakoch, director of interstellar message composition for the Search For Extraterrestrial Intelligence Institute in California.

"It could be tomorrow that we’ll need to be ready to decide if we reply [to aliens]," he said. "It’s really critical to have people start thinking about it and it makes sense to start with writers. These are people who are really trying to express the human condition."

external link

[edit on 20-5-2008 by nahsik]

Mod Edit: External source tags. Please see New Site Tag For Quoting External Sources. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 20/5/08 by JAK]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

One student, Dixie Thoman, created a poem about menstruation with syllables arranged in a mathematically harmonious order, known as the Fibonacci sequence.

Recordings of the Brandenburg Concerto and Johnny B Goode are among those that have been beamed into space over the years in an attempt to provoke an extraterrestrial response.

Most likely a futile attempt, but considering how much money is wasted in educational institutes at least this promotes creativity.

The examples they name have more to do with music and math than english.. But hey I bet those english majors must get tired of analyzing Edgar Allan Poe and Shakespeare.

Shakespeare's famous quote "All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players," begs the question. Who is watching? The aliens??

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by nahsik
This is my very first post and I hope it gets some theorists rattled. Firstly it was the Vatican announcing aliens can be real and now this. Maybe a disclosure is coming soon!!

Don't hold your breath. Disclosure has been "coming soon" since the beginning of the modern UFO era.

As Greg Bishop recently said on his blog...

Every time I see something like this, I can’t help but think of the many times that “disclosure” was just around the corner…and didn’t happen. Fool me twice–shame on me.

Donald Keyhoe expected it in the 1960s. UFO fans waited for it after the release of Close Encounters. The Aviary members worked for it in the 1980s. In 2003, I was on a radio show here in L.A. where the producer assured me that “the truth” would be out within months, and the Disclosure Movement works and hopes for the same thing.

I wonder how this poem could possibly help us communicate with aliens. The aliens may be able to recognize the Fibonacci Sequence, however, it would give them no clue on what the meaning of the words are.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Menstruation? Give me a break!

What a pretentious and transparent attempt to be controversial.........

I couldn't possibly think of a more worthless topic, especially in poem form . Maybe the makeup of our feases would be just as useful.

[edit on 20-5-2008 by dodgygeeza]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I think it's actually a good thing.

I don't know if it will work, but this will get more people thinking about these things in a critical way.

With all the direct and circumstantial evidence that supports ufology, it's smart to start looking into these things from all angles.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
In a related comment I was suprised to see program for future astronauts (older childrens/teens show) on the NASA channel featuring the science of archaeology. Of all the sciences an astronaut might want to know why archaeology? It was within the last week that I saw the program.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I guess they want to learn the science of archaeology so they can understand the history of the land of the different planets. Maybe geology would be a better choice so it is sort of suspicious.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
the only way to communicate with the Aliens is to play "Billie Jean", by Michael Jackson in your car. They will want to talk to you!

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
maybe the next step would be NASA funding psychic research or something

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
NASA is pulling our legs.
They're having "fun" with the conspiracy community which is growing by the minute.

Forget about disclosure- something else is going on here. Could it be they now want us to start beleiving so they can pull off the mock invasion from space?

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I hope they do pull our legs when the time comes. I hope the whole alien thing isn't reality.

top topics

join