It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volunteers Wanted : Cyborg Conversion

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
In one respect I'm already there. I have an artificial lens in my right eye due to cataracts. Gives me about 20/40 vision. I used to have roughly 20/250 in that eye and that was before the cataracts. I can anticipate within another 10 years or so having the same thing done on my left eye as well. I have some developing there as well and I'm 48.

I figure that when I hit into my late 60's or so, assuming that the tech is there. Sure I'd give it a shot. I'd rather pass away when I decide to instead of some random time.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

I'd rather pass away when I decide to instead of some random time.

Ah, now that there is the heart of the issue isn't it?

The ability to chose when you die, rather than to die against your will.

It's not a question of "Would you like to live forever?" for, forever is an infinitely long and tiresome thing to endure.
The real desire is to leave when we want, on our terms.
A decision none of us possess.

Would such an ability breed laziness though?
For many, the only driving force in life is the knowledge that their life will end, with or without having accomplished what you wished.

If we knew that we could simply extend our life, and put off the deadlines to accomplish what we wanted... would we accomplish anything at all?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

A trifle OT but I would like to answer this.

One of my dreams since I was a kid was to explore space. I know that given a extended lifespan chances are good that it would be possible to have that dream a reality. I wouldn't want to live forever that much is true but to have enough of a lifespan to actually do things that I've dreamed of as a kid? That's another matter.

back on topic:

The technology level wouldn't matter much to me initially. I'll take the clunky looking stuff as long as the lifespan was extended. Technology changes. Things get improved and streamlined. One can upgrade in the future assuming that you are around long enough to take advantage of it. It would do me no good to wait until a certain level of aesthetics arrived since I would likely pass away before then. I'm patient.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Humanoid Robots, or cyborgs are all interesting to me so id be willing to be a test subject in the research of its devolpment..

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
If you think about it the cyborg threshold has already been crossed, and is actually fairly well established in medicine - cyborg = man and machine right? heart pacemakers, cochlear implants those little 'brain zappers' (I call them) that counteract things like epilepsy - they are all machines.

I personally would love to have my sight enhanced, and some sort of computer function - not much, I could use 80 Gig of storage, and some simple apps like a scientific calculator and language translation. I don't want to directly connect to any networks though, that would be my line, I'm happy to interface with networks via the old tried and trusted methods.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I would gladly volunteer

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Given the current definition of cyborg, I'm already there too (spinal cord stimulator & intrathecal pump). I'm amazed at the number of implants available already like cochlear implants, deep brain stimulators and artificial limbs.
Forget recruiting volunteers! Cyborgs are already here.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I'm not sure I'd want to be actually testing cyborg technology, but once others had (I'm not that brave!) I think I'd want in on the working tech. Ever play the computer game Deus Ex? That's kind of like what I'm imagining here, though there's also other ideas, like having your consciousness uploaded into a computer, or stuff like that. I'm not sure I'd want that style, but I like the idea of taking the best of human biology and human technology and putting it together, whereas I don't like the idea of being a file on a hard drive.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
yeah im in for 'Ghost in the Shell' style implants......

not really interested in the full body do over though, id like to keep my basic human form if you know what I mean lol

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
lol I'm waiting for ghost in the shell technology to be available to the public.

but if there was an emp wave you would end up a pile of smoldering plastic

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by zetamafia911

That's true, but you could argue that as a biological life form now, that any of the maladies we suffer from now, like cancer, make us vulnerable. Biological or robotical, each will have their own vulnerabilities and advantages.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I'm sure people will convert once the tech. is available.

We already have bionic people.. pace makers, brain implants, robotic prosthetics, artificial this and that..

Once a better arm comes along, people will be lining up.

It will be the only way to fight the android police!! lol.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Do ya think I could maybeee look like Caprica 6?

Or hell even Boomer/Athena...

OH I know...

Starbuck!!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Although such technology could evolve quite fast, they are still currently very backward to my taste. Wait until nanotech becoming more mature.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by guppy

here is a question i have for you . if you have a full body that is cybernetic save the brain can you maintain your humanity in knowing who you are and your mental state you are in before you did that ? if so how ?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by guppy

Absolutely. I remember back in the late 90's I was watching the Discovery channel and they had an episode about the future. There they told about a group of people who believed the next evolution of humans would be to become "one with machines". They had a group and I'm kicking myself for not remembering the name.

At first I didn't agree with them but now I'm beginning to realize that maybe they were on to something. But to answer your question, would I volunteer? Absolutely.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by bum_phantom

yes . i would not mind going full prosthetic . it if the cybernetics were indeed like ghost in the shell . but it will have to come a long way from the Technology of today .

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
If you could install a robotic heart, some robotic lungs and something to keep your brain from degrading with age into a state of dementia or alzheimers, you could theoretically live forever. Assuming you don't have a brain anneurism or something along those lines.

As long as blood keeps pumping through your veins and oxygen reaches your brain, you will continue on. But with age, your bones will still weaken. You muscles will atrophy. Your eyesight will worsen. Your hearing will degrade. Your memory will fade.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join