It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volunteers Wanted : Cyborg Conversion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Would you volunteer to be one of the first Cyborgs? If cybernetic technology developed where we can convert a human to a complete machine, would you volunteer to be a guinea pig? Lets place machine conversion of your body between 50% or more.

Think of Robocop 2. OCP wanted to capitalize on the success of the first Robocop. So the corporation searched for volunteers. Too bad those first batch of volunteers didn't work out so well. Not a happy example, but you get the picture.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Are we talking Ghost in the shell style cyberization or Nasty robocop style monstrosities?

If teh latter is the case id rather not have stairs become a rather major obstacle. lol

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I'd do it if it was the ghost in the shell type deal as long as my old body is put in cold storage and that the new body resembles me...either that or a complete overhaul of my original body...

I definitly wouldn't mind the ghost in the shell deal.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
well, if i'm guaranteed to live forever and given a darth vader type suit. i'm ALL in.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Something like x-ray vision or a bionic arm would be slick. I might volunteer for that. Robocop? I don't think so. Not unless the Japanese are involved.

And if NASA is in any way involved - FUHGETTABOUTIT! I don't like the odds.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It would change your response depending on what level of technology you are looking at. I would say, imagine what the first generation of cyborbgs from Ghost In The Shell would be like, not Robocop. Technology today and 5 years from now would look more streamlined than what Robocop portrayed in the late 80s.

Personally, I would as long as I can still do the following:

- bump-and-grind with the ladies
- enjoy food (i'm a Foody)

Having heightened senses, computer aided memory, machine like strength, and more would be nice to have. Plus, you live a lot longer and you don't age in a normal sense.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Gives the term "cyber sex" a whole new meaning now doesn't it?

Did you say bionic? A bionic ...

...you can complete that phrase I think.

[edit on 20-5-2008 by gauncents]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
In Futurama, they called it Metal Fever.

How would our society embrace cyborg technology? Would we embrace it? Or run in fear and throw strict governing laws to control it? Kind of like what happened with genetic research.

There is a a new Japanime movie from the creators of Appleseed that has a premise similar to what I just said. It is called Vexille. Here's the synopsis:

Japan, 2077: A number of agents from a security agency "SWORD" (one of whom is named Vexille) are assigned the task of infiltrating fortress Japan to investigate whether the Japanese are developing android technology, which has been banned by the U.N. due to its potential threat to humankind.

We might not see cyborgs because of restrictions.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I'd go for it if was an improvement over my original parts and they had most of the bugs worked out. It'd be really cool to go diving without having to drag along 70 pounds of scuba gear.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Of course we'll see cyborgs. Are we not already heading there with replacement limbs and organs?

Eventually, you're entire body could be replaced... except for perhaps the brain, I can't see anyone volunteering to have their brain removed and replaced with a CPU for obvious reasons. Enhancements to the brain, perhaps, but people would want the original left in tact.

I think the best people as volunteers would be the paraplegics, they've had the use of their body taken from them... why not give them the option of full mobility again?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
well, if i'm guaranteed to live forever and given a darth vader type suit. i'm ALL in.

my asthma is getting worse

Id just want the breathing aparatus Lord Vader had

cause then I wouldnt have to worry

I work in orthopaedics and we have alot of cyborgish people already

some patients have all joints replaced and some just a knee or a hip

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by guppy

It's kind of like a graph of two lines, one for how sick I am, or how many years left I have of optimal normal untampered-with function, versus how early I adopt the technology...What daddy used to tell me " consider the risk/benefit ratio"...if I'm rapidly circling the drain, or if I can get it now for cheap as a guinea pig (whereas once the technology's mature it'll be priced out of my likely future price range) then I'll jump now... but if I have legs to wait out the bugs in the beta-version, and it seems likely to become cheaper as time goes on, like how computer chips do, then I'll stall and see how it works out for the other hopeful monsters.
So I'd have to do a semi-bogus calculation of the two trendlines, my prospects and the tech's, and see where they intersect...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

My point from my last post was how would society react when full-conversion cyborgs are available to the military and public. People might react negatively towards full-conversion cyborgs. It all depends on how society reacts with the culture shock. With cybertechnology, fear-mongerers might feed off on it. Ethical and moral debates will cause tension. Of course, corporations will just throw money at politicians via lobbyists where any sanctioned laws will barely matter.

reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

Good points there, nine. To continue my discussion with johnsky, any restrictions may get shot down by those who vote (the elder). The elderly may embrace cybertechnology if longer, stronger life is within reach.

The level of advancement is a big factor for me to determine my cost-benefit ratio. If the technology is slow as Robocop, I'd probably say no and wait. But if technology was equivalent to or near human-like motion, then I'm there. Just make sure I get the extra bells and whistles -- enhanced eyes with video recording, enhanced ears with filter feature, chemical analyzer on tongue, lungs with filtration unit, smart-gun link with tactical computer, GPS, computer-enhanced brain, etc.... Sorry, let a man dream.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I'd volunteer if I was confident the procedure wouldn't cause brain damage or some other bad side effect and the result would be an improvement over what over what I've got now.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I've always thought that would be pretty cool. I'd volunteer if I was confident the procedure wouldn't cause brain damage or some other bad side effect and I would have more or better functionality afterwards than what I've got now.

Zac

sty

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
well, if you are under 30s you can expect something like this for the time you are old. Sure, unless if something major would bring us back to the stone age or worse..
If the economy would keep to a decent level, i believe we can have the tech to extend the life-spam with at least 50 extra years. Artifficial hearts, lungs , etc etc. Then the great tech will be to actually replace everything except the brain (let say in 100 years from now) and as ultimate technology to actually replace neurons with artifficial ones that can one by one copy the information from neurons before they die out..
If you want more info about the subject, it is good to google "the institute for immortality" .

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Wow, I was under the impression this was going to be a thread about scientists actually needing volunteers. What a misleading title, and section to put it in.

I would go full cyber, and have my brain slowly replaced by nanobots to make the full metal conversion while retaining my "mind".

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by guppy
Would you volunteer to be one of the first Cyborgs?

i think this lady already did abcnews.go.com...

-

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I'm going to live a normal, happy life just as I was born for as long as I can. That said, I'm 48 years old. I've got 20, maybe 25 years tops of good living years left in me. I'll hang on as long as I can.

Still:

When those years are over and I'm finally on my death bed, I hope I'm given the option of upgrading in a newer, sleeker model of a body and allowed to keep going.

Don't take that wrong, someday I know I will die.

I would just rather die when I choose to die, rather than die simply because time has decided to take me.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

Originally posted by guppy
Would you volunteer to be one of the first Cyborgs?

i think this lady already did abcnews.go.com...

-

It's a start, but what she got is not nearly as good as her original arm was. It would be really cool if they could build something that is better than the original.

I can only imagine being able to go scuba diving without depth and temperature limits and not having to drag along 70 pounds of gear.

Zac

[edit on 30-12-2008 by zac10000]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join