It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spanish firm offers $12.8 billion to lease Pa. Turnpike

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
To the guy defending this crap:

You said it yourself, the company in Spain will make some extra profit on the side. Why the hell should they make profit off of US driving in OUR country? If greedy Rendell and the lazy slacking losers in Penndot would take care of their own roads and their own people instead of just themselves, then all that "extra profit" could be turned into "extra road maintenance" or "extra funding for mass transit" or something. But no, it's going to be turned into "extra time on the golf course for some fat cats who don't even live in our country, let alone our state."

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I just don't see how turning our roads into foreign-owned business is going to do anything but screw over the residents of PA and line the pockets of the fat cats who made this deal.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I love to see people defending capitalism and the global markets but then crying foul when a foreign company gets to play in their backyard.

This is one of the big problems with the capitalist system we have today, where as much public money as possible has to be channeled into private hands, benefiting a few instead of being reinvested in public infrastructure, as it damn well should be.
I just wonder what sweeteners were handed out during the consultation process

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

Originally posted by Britguy
I love to see people defending capitalism and the global markets but then crying foul when a foreign company gets to play in their backyard.

This is one of the big problems with the capitalist system we have today, where as much public money as possible has to be channeled into private hands(THEY GAVE US TWELVE POINT EIGHT BILLION DOLLARS., benefiting a few instead of being reinvested in public infrastructure, as it damn well should be.
I just wonder what sweeteners were handed out during the consultation process

I love when people don't live in the area and don't realize that there is a massive amount of underfunding and debt over the state (and city of Pittsburgh's) public transportation. Yes, public transportation doesn't just mean buses, it also means the roads they drive on.

We don't have enough money to take care of the roads, and keep buses running. People refuse to pay extra taxes to keep this infrastructure in place.

SO.

Where do YOU suggest this money come from?

“With Act 44, the Turnpike will supply PennDOT almost $84 billion over 50 years without raising taxes or out-sourcing a critical asset. That’s why we remain committed to implementing Act 44 and seeing it through to completion.”

from www.paturnpike.com...

It's not a great idea.
Jesus, it's not a GOOD idea.
But when you simply have no other options and no money, this isn't such a bad start.

[edit on 5-21-2008 by forsakenwayfarer]

[edit on 5-21-2008 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
Also, if you speed, it can calculate how fast you went and give you a ticket.

Really? I did not know that. I will have to watch it more often.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
It's nice to see the xenophobe's coming out from both sides of the ATS aisle here. Ya know, one of your Yankee firms could have out bid those dirty Spaniards but they didn't. I don't see what the big issue is, they put in the most lucrative bid and won, whoopee.

When American firms invest overseas it's seen as either imperialistic or traitorous, but we can't have any foreign investment in our Country. What a double standard many of you have. Guess we better tell the Chinese and the Saudis their money is no good here.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
see here in australia sure we have taxes for roads etc, but occasionally when a big road project needs to get done and the state government just doesn't have THAT much cash lying arund in its pocket, it asks companies to come in and propose that they build the roads, keep them in good condition, and they can charge a reasonable toll on that road. Usually these toll roads save a lot of time for the users of the road to get to work, etc, so its worth that little bit of charge. however if you dont want to pay then go on the free roads and most likely the long way around....

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Well, who is in charge of the texas corridor?
The King of Spain.
Nafta Superhighway

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I say take the money. At $15 a gallon gas the states themselves will not have enough revenue to maintain the roads on their own. Might as well let the Spanish absorb the losses.

Driving an auto will become passe in the next decade or so. Maybe our public officials are smarter than we think.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

On the topic of the Nafta Trade Corridor:

Many people might be surprised to hear that Cintra, (another Spanish company who is financing the 180 Billion dollar project and will also own the leasing and operating rights on TTC highways for 50 years after their construction is complete), is represented by Bracewell & Giuliani, Rudy Giuliani's Houston-based law firm.

[edit on 21-5-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

Haha.. didn't think of if that way. I've changed my mind. Let the Spaniards control the road. Maybe they can take our Decider for 75 years, too?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join