It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Has Lofty Goals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
To say the least....

McCain's goals read like a wish list for everyone wanting a better life. How he will accomplish all of these stated goals, is of course the big question.

McCain said it's important to define, in clear language, what "I intend to achieve."

I will seek the counsel of members of Congress from both parties in forming government policy before I ask them to support it. I will ask Democrats to serve in my administration. My administration will set a new standard for transparency and accountability. I will hold weekly press conferences.

When we make errors, I will confess them readily, and explain what we intend to do to correct them.

By January 2013, McCain envisions Americans welcoming home "most of the servicemen and women" who have served in Iraq.

McCain said the Iraq war will be won; Iraq will be a functioning democracy, and any lingering violence will be "spasmodic and much reduced."

America will have a small military presence in Iraq, he said, but U.S. troops will not play a direct combat role.

the disbanding of the Iraqi militias, the defeat of al Qaeda in Iraq; a professional and competent Iraqi security force -- and a functioning and authoritative Iraqi government.

He predicted robust economic growth, a reduction in the corporate tax rate, a low capital gains rate. He said an elimination of tax loopholes and "corporate welfare" will "spur innovation and productivity and encourage companies to keep their operations and jobs" in the U.S.

CNS News

WHEW!!!!!

Well, you sure can't say he isn't reaching for the top...

Semper

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Too bad he's reaching from such a low place..........

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Exactly! McCain is a worm in a suit.
And he intends to wallow in the mud of Iraq for as long
as he can get away with it.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Naturally I am weary of any promises made by any politicians . Never the less I will deal with McCain ideas that he has put forward . I like the idea of the president having a question time session with Congress. McCain sure does wear rose coloured glasses when it comes to Iraq . I would love to see him explain how the Iraqi army who couldn't cope in the south of the country will be effective in the centre of the country .

To live up to his promise of al Qaeda having no safe haven large numbers of US troops will have to return to the Somalia. Somehow in the 90s McCain thought that no more US service personal should have to die in Somalia and yet the same doesn't apply to Iraq or any return to Somalia. Given that North Korea tested a nuclear weapon his comments on Nuclear security have no creditability what so ever.

Increasing the size of the US military is a given . I support the concept of the League of Democracies and would encourage the NZ government to join from the outset . Unless the US economy picks up by around 2010 the next president could only serve one term . Getting rid of the likes of agricultural subsides can only be a good thing .

I don't know enough about the US tax system to comment on the next bit . A good starting point for reducing the sheer weight of bureaucracy would be to veto any bills that contain to much pork and canning the Department of Homeland Security . FEMA should also be closely examined if not on the chopping block .

Not sure what about McCain education policy is about but I support school vouchers and having more successful schools take over under performing ones . IMO the Republicans will lose out to the dems on the issue of Health Care .

Someone needs to ask McCain if the free market was the answer then why have the Republicans done nothing in the past eight years on this matter ?

Note I am not saying that there isnt a free market based solution to reducing the number of people without health insurance . The only way I would ever consider supporting a emissions trading scheme is if it came along with tax reform . But even then you are still penalizing people and free enterprise rather then rewarding them . Nuclear Power is a sensible environmentally friendly option for power generation enough said.

I will leave the issue of Supreme Court judges appointments up to Americans . Securing the US borders is a long over due sensible measure . I suspect Congress may block funding when it comes to such measures . Securing the borders may have to funded by ear marks on unrelated bills something McCain wants to fight against .

[edit on 20-5-2008 by xpert11]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I hadn't really seen a problem with McCain's Iraq strategy, so long as Iraq was moving forward.

American troops are still in Germany and Japan- why shouldn't they continue to be in Iraq.

The presence of American troops in Germany used to be a good source of friendship between the countries if anything else!

Its a shame that he changed his mind, and advocates withdrawing in 2013. Then again, perhaps he acknowledges that Iraqis have no intention to settle peaceably into democracy. Ive said it before and Ill say it again, Democracy is not the best option for everyone.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
"When I make errors I will confess them" and "I will take democrats into my team" are two smart moves that show he knows how the majority are feeling.

If he adds: "I am ashamed of what Bush did" and "We will stop meddling in other countries business and focus more on our own country" I´ll vote for him.

Its become a real problem that we dont allow any mistakes by our politicians. Since we tear them apart at every wrong move they make, they dont dare admit to their mistakes...and become liars.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
""We will stop meddling in other countries business and focus more on our own country" I´ll vote for him.

Then vote for Ron Paul .. that's what he says!

Seriously though. Every 1st world country .. and many 2nd world countries ... 'meddle' in other countries in order to create the best situation for their own country. Everyone does it. Heck ... I remember reading that Lincoln was seriously frustrated with France because while we were busy with the Civil War, France saw an opportunity to infiltrate Mexico and South America with it's policies and practices.

Everyone does it. It's just that America does it LOUDLY.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Yeah...I already support Ron Paul.

"Intervention" may be common practice but common practice doesnt make good practice.

Am I gonna buy tools to fix my neighbours garden or stuff for my own garden?

[edit on 20-5-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Or are you going to go to your neighbour's garden to "liberate" his flowerbed and transplant it to your own garden

Oh god I sound like a liberal... sorry, the joke was just too inviting!

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Taking it further:

...on 9/11 some rowdy kids vandalized one of my trees. But instead of finding the rowdies I blamed my neighbour for it and entered his territory. What a mess. Now my neighbour is training his kids to come over to my place and wreck my stuff.

From now on Im not gonna enter my neighbours garden except for the ocassional barbecue. Instead I will lead by example. By making my garden the most beautiful I hope he will try to compete and get up to speed with the neighbourhood.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Im not gonna enter my neighbours garden except for the ocassional barbecue.

You are lucky to still be invited to the barbecue.
(oh .. that's deep!)

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
...neither will I "liberate" him from his flowerbed.

I will be investigating new ways to grow flowers with which I can FUEL my wifes passions.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I hope he will try to compete and get up to speed with the neighbourhood.

Of course, if he's a lazy and selfish Son-of-a-gun .. he'll get jealous and just try to quiety destroy your hard work to make himself feel better.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Of course, if he's a lazy and selfish Son-of-a-gun .. he'll get jealous and just try to quiety destroy your hard work to make himself feel better.

....which the rest of the neighbourhood will see and condem, withdrawing their support of that lazy and selfish neighbour.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   

....which the rest of the neighbourhood will see and condem.

Unless they, too, are lazy and selfish and jealous. Then they will help him to destroy your hard work and they will steal all your plants for their own gardens.

I'm a bummer, aren't I?

Seriously though .. you are right ... clean up your own garden. I'd add - build really high walls so that the jealous ones can't come in and take your plants. Then just allow those you INVITE into your garden to see your hard work. Don't throw your pearls before swine.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Don't throw your pearls before swine.

pssst...

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   

...on 9/11 some rowdy kids vandalized one of my trees. But instead of finding the rowdies I blamed my neighbour for it and entered his territory.

Your comparison is flawed . How soon people forgot that it was the neighbour that provided a haven for the vandals in the first place and wouldn't have allowed you to detain the kids in question .

What a mess. Now my neighbour is training his kids to come over to my place and wreck my stuff.

Well now a guy a few houses down either feels threatened by democracy or wants to retain the other backyard as a haven . By your logic it would be best to let the enemy have havens where he can operate from . Of course attacking to many places at once leads to your forces being stretched thin and you are robed of victory .

[edit on 20-5-2008 by xpert11]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
ummm...I see those kids who vandalized my tree coming from 6th germany street and saudi 2nd and from afghan 4th. Instead we enter iraq 3rd.

These kids hide in various neighbours gardens. Instead of patrolling the neighbourhood with my baseball-bat, I´ll make better fences.

Im much more concerned about neighbour sam down on 1st street. He shares a garden with another nation, both claiming the garden to be theirs. What to do?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

"When I make errors I will confess them" and "I will take democrats into my team" are two smart moves that show he knows how the majority are feeling.
If he adds: "I am ashamed of what Bush did" and "We will stop meddling in other countries business and focus more on our own country" I´ll vote for him.
Its become a real problem that we dont allow any mistakes by our politicians. Since we tear them apart at every wrong move they make, they dont dare admit to their mistakes...and become liars.

Become liars? They're all liars to begin with. "Liar" is the very definition of a politician, is it not? Do you not think, if he added your stipulation for voting for him, that it would not be just another lie? Please, people... that's all they know how to do. That's the game and the joke on the American people.

The only thing that should be done with McCains lofty goals is to string him up by his neck, right next to them.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
There´s two sides to the story.

A populace that wants to be lied to is the other side.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join