It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA death squads killing with "impunity" in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

CIA death squads killing with "impunity" in Afghanistan

rinf.com

A United Nations investigator released a preliminary report last week citing widespread civilian deaths in Afghanistan, often at the hands of unaccountable units led by the CIA or other foreign intelligence agencies.

The investigator is Philip Alston, a New York University professor serving as the Special Rapporteur of the United Nations Human Rights Council on extra-judicial, summary or arbitrary execution. His report provides a partial glimpse into the illegal actions of intelligence agencies
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Apparently the CIA and other foreign intelligence agencies are committing what they term 'extra-judicial killings.' I can only assume they are executing people without any type of judicial proceedings, military or civilian. Nobody acknowledges responsibility, and it is all kept very secret. The investigator estimates some 200 deaths so far in 2008. We can only guess on the true number since the war began.

Is this an acceptable way to conduct warfare? When we engage in this type of activity, doesn't it just lower ourselves to the level of the terrorist? I thought this was the type of thing we wanted to put a stop to. I can't see how any potential Taliban could be anything but cynical to the extreme, knowing that this is going on.

Here is the statement released Thursday, in pdf format:

www.extrajudicialexecutions.org...

rinf.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-5-2008 by TheComte]

[edit on 20-5-2008 by TheComte]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
The source is somewhat suspect and frankly it reads like propaganda to me. However I would not be surprised if there weren't some assassinations going on. I would doubt, however, that they are deliberately targeting 'civilians'.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

Well, Philip Aston is very real so I don't know why you think the source is suspect. His report was released on Thursday. I didn't hear anything in the MSM, maybe that's why you suspicious. Here is more on the Project on Extrajudicial Executions.

Philip Alston is John Norton Pomeroy Professor of Law and Faculty Director of the Center for Human Rights and Global Justice at New York University School of Law. He was appointed UN Special Rapporteur on Extrajudicial, Summary or Arbitrary Executions in July 2004. For 2005-06 he is Chairperson of the Coordinating Committee for all of the Human Rights Special Procedures of the UN Commission on Human Rights. He has long been active in the field of human rights, as an adviser to groups such as Amnesty International and the International Commission of Jurists, as a founding Board Member of Physicians for Human Rights, and as Chairperson of the Board of the Center for Economic and Social Rights. As a UN official in the early 1980s he worked on the drafting of the UN Convention against Torture, and he has since written extensively on international human rights institutions and procedures, including those dealing with questions of extrajudicial executions.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
This has been brought up before, here's a link from the Washington Post:
www.washingtonpost.com...

The CIA seems to targeting "suspected terrorists", of course the term is loosely defined just like "torture" is by the Agency so they can get rid of anyone they want to at will.

Although if you look at the Company's recent history in Afghanistan this kind of sheer recklessness and endangerment of innocent lives is nothing new:

The 2006, Damadola airstrike was an attack on a "suspected" Al-Qaeda compound housing supposed top-level insurgents.
They turned out to be 18 women and kids: www.telegraph.co.uk...

The Chenagai airstrike also in 2006, targeted an Islamic school which was again allegedly an Al-Qaeda "training camp". Over 80 were killed, many children who were resuming school there after holidays:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Sheesh does the CIA even gather it's own Intel anymore? It's like their shooting in the dark.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Yep -- They are shooting in the dark like a bunch of misguided fools with fancy degrees -- but remember they make alot of money from the Heroin that is used to supress the poor in western countries.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
The source is somewhat suspect and frankly it reads like propaganda to me. However I would not be surprised if there weren't some assassinations going on. I would doubt, however, that they are deliberately targeting 'civilians'.

Does it really matter who they are targeting? I thought we were promoting democracy? Not rag-tag renegade government. We were supposed to be fighting a war on terrorism, so does that mean that we are now fighting a war against ourselves, since we have become the terrorists?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Already posted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please join disussion in existing thread.

Closed

new topics

top topics

join