It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First-ever government review of fluoride/thyroid toxicology shows risk .

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Usually the affects of Hypothyroidism can easily be negated with medication, however, if it's there from birth you need to catch it early so your baby doesn't end up retarded.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
My last annual physical I was warned about my throid. Been depressed beyond belief last 3 yrs for a variety of reasons. Wonder how much of that is 'physical'?

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

i have a 7 year old... and its worrying me greatly...

thanks cadbury, i shall look into it

fluoride free toothpaste, will have to have a hunt around..

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicstorm

thanks cadbury, i shall look into it

fluoride free toothpaste, will have to have a hunt around..

You are quite welcome, of course. The reason I mentioned the toothpaste is because, as you're in the United Kingdom, you're probably picking up more fluoride or sodium fluoride from your toothpaste than you are from the water you drink. The percentage of areas in this region with a fluoridated water supply is relatively low. Not everywhere has it. You should ask around and find out if there's actually any fluoride in the water supply in your particular area, because there may not be. I'd still recommend getting a water filter anyway, though, because, as you know, the primary water supply for this country is treated sewage, so there's a lot of "stuff" still swimming about in there when you go to drink it.

A non-fluoridated toothpaste I've found acceptable and currently use is Euthymol. But there may be ingredients in that that you are intolerable of. It tastes like a bizarre combination of genuine American Root Beer and clean hospitals -- which is not altogether unpleasant.

A good day to you, Ma'am.

(Spin-a-disk)

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cadbury
I'd still recommend getting a water filter anyway, though, because, as you know, the primary water supply for this country is treated sewage.

Sorry, this isn't entirely accurate. The main supply for the U.K. on the whole is reservoirs and rivers. Treated effluent is on the rise, though, but is not primary. In my city we use it, and in quite a few other places they do. Even then, it's still contaminating the other sources. So I'd still recommend a good water filter. Most of the cheap fridge filters in the supermarkets only last for about a month then you have to buy a new filter, so you'll end up spending much more than you would for a decent gravity filter. You can trust me on that, because I know first hand.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

Thanks yes ive seen that toothpaste and will be off to get some later, im going to do a little research on my water supplier... but i think ill just cut my water intake and stick to bottled water....

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Quick question. Does the research state that flouride causes hypothyroidism? Or does hypothryoidism allow easier access for bad stuff to invade your system? I was diagnosed hyperthyroid and thengive the radiation treatment to kill my thyroid which leaves me on synthroid for the rest of my life. Its been 2 years and they are still trying to get the dosage correct.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I drank flouridated water for at least 18 years of my life and in that 18th year I was diagnosed with thyroid disease (AkA graves disease). They radiated my thyroid and now, its completely dead aka I have no thyroid at all. I'm dependant on thyroid medication for the rest of my life.

Thanks bloomfield hills(the city i grew up in), I appreciate the life long disease issue you gave me because you put flouride in the water. At least I didnt have any cavities growing up so that part worked well.

Tela

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
You can get Tom's of Maine flouride-free for less than $5. I think the fennel flavor is the best. Also Spry is available on Amazon, the wife prefers that.

Get the kind with Xylitol in it - it's a simple sugar that kills the plaque bacteria. Made from Birch trees or corn (like everything else...). Plaque rots teeth, not sugar (the sugar just feeds the plaque).

Xylitol kills the plaque and is a simple sugar. Flouride may help with reminerlization after the tooth has decayed. Even without the toxicity, prevention is better than cure.

Most every recipe that uses sugar for sweetness (not structure or fermentation) can use Xylitol as a substitute, though halvsies can taste better. It's also non-insulin producing so will avoid problems of diabetes and insulin resistence syndrome.

Too much sugar is bad all around, but if anybody is concerned with plaque problems, it's way better than fluoride.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

I don't know if this the case overseas but in Australia my understanding is bottled water manufacturers are not permitted to add fluoride.

There seems to be a constant pro-fluoride campaign to overturn this. I guess it's only a matter of time before our right to choose is overruled once again by the nanny-state.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
I didn't know that. Thanks for the post...

I posted; not in the above link; that traced the purpose of the thyroid gland and the various thyroid hormones as they related to the physical and mental development of individuals.

Now, to assuage any immediate concern, keep in mind that everyone has a variant developmental rate as defined by personal genetics...

But essentially, the thyroid gland releases hormones relevant to the physical transition between childhood and adulthood. It's like perpetuating an animalistic mentality in an adult form...I would like to find that post before I continue...

kdial...thanks and a
for this thread...

Hi,
Something else to consider is the effect of Fluoride on the Pituitary Gland, which gets very little scientific investigation. It atrophies this gland very quickly.

This gland is responsible for much of our ability to Perceive things in the non-physical realms that surround us. As we age it slowly begins to atrophy until we are unable to 'see' clearly in our advanced years, which is possibly one reason why we seem less self-directed in advanced age; nothing new there.

But, add Fluoride to the equation and you suddenly have the power to prevent everyone from having the ability to perceive clearly what is really going on around them as it prematurely atrophies the Pituitary Gland. And this does have far reaching consequences for those who wish to control the masses long term.

Back in the 80's I read an article about the U.S governments experiments with Fluoride tablets on their soldiers in the late 40's and early 50's with the outcome that those being experimented with were less able, and inclined, to do anything other than simply follow orders even when those orders meant certain death. This meant that Fluoride interrupts the ability to perceive things with any clarity and makes us more malleable to those who 'direct' us.

I was born a psychic, medium... shaman if you wish to use those words, and can tell you from my experience that there is a hell of a lot more going on than we are allowed to see and know. By preventing the populations from gaining knowledge of their own power and abilities you would have maximum control.

So I therefore wonder if this is the real drive behind the push for Fluoride in drinking water, and the sad fact that you can only buy one brand of non-fluoride toothpaste in one store adds more to my thought's direction.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicstorm

hey at least you dont have pharmaceuticals in your water supply like we do here in america....i wish our governments cared about the people/human race.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cadbury
reply to post by cosmicstorm

Good morning, Cosmicstorm. I use a British Berkefeld gravity filter. I'm not sure if they remove all traces of fluoride but they probably get most of it. They get all the germs, at least.

If you're concerned with fluoride you may want to check if it's in your toothpaste or mouthwash, too. I use fluoride-free alternatives.

[edit on 20-5-2008 by Cadbury]

I'd be interested in getting something to filter the fluoride out of my water but looking at that link the filter is effective down to about 0.5 microns. I would think that the size of the NaF molecules would be in the order of Angstroms, some 1000 times smaller than the effective limit of that filter.

I'm not a chemist so i'm not sure if that's the case but it would be nice if any members with knowledge of this kind of thing could enlighten us.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chris McGee

I'd be interested in getting something to filter the fluoride out of my water but looking at that link the filter is effective down to about 0.5 microns. I would think that the size of the NaF molecules would be in the order of Angstroms, some 1000 times smaller than the effective limit of that filter.

I'm not a chemist so i'm not sure if that's the case but it would be nice if any members with knowledge of this kind of thing could enlighten us.

Good post, Sir. To be perfectly honest with you I'm not entirely sure. I'm no chemist either. I think there is a special filter element made for that base unit that will get all fluoride out, but I'm pretty sure even the standard elements will reduce it.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Chris McGee, I just checked my own Berkey and I'm using the PF-2 Fluoride and Arsenic Reduction Elements with black Berkeys. These are the ones you will need. I only change my elements once every 9-10 months (with a good few scrubs in between) and had completely forgotten I had them in there.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Ah . . . fluoride! A topic close to my heart. A few points:

1. The "fluoride" added to your drinking water is nearly always H2SiF6 - Hydrofluosilicic acid (aka Fluorosilicic acid, Hexafluorosilicic acid, Dihydrogen hexafluorosilicate, Fluosilicic acid, Hydrosilicofluoric acid). This stuff is a hazardous waste that would cost the fertilizer plants billions to legally dispose of. Instead, they pay millions to professional groups (e.g. the ADA) to peddle running this garbage through the kidneys of the rabble with the PR line "so our children can have healthy teeth" [sigh-sniff].

2. It's one thing to switch to non-fluoridated toothpaste, but ask yourself: what is the largest organ on your body? The skin!! Every time you bathe/shower with fluoridated water you are getting more fluoride than by merely drinking your tap water. That's one of the biggest blind spots of this entire issue.

3. Synthroid (to boost thyroid production) is one of the top-selling pharmaceuticals in the U.S. Do you really need to connect the dots on THIS one?

4. Fluorine (the atomic element) is the smallest and most electromagnetically charged element in existence. Fluorine LOVES breaking hydrogen bonds, disrupting enzyme reactions and attaching itself to cartilaginous tissues. Why do so many, relatively young, people in the U.S. suffer from osteoarthritis? I submit that most arthritis cases are nothing more than undiagnosed skeltal fluorosis.

5. Fluoride sits between arsenic and lead in terms of toxicity yet it gets a "pass" from the EPA and other gov't agencies while we frantically rid our lives of all things containing lead and arsenic. Go figure. [Follow the money].

6. Putting fluoride in drinking water was created as a PR scam to put a positive spin on fluoride because aluminum and uranium processing plants were facing huge lawsuits from all the people and livestock they were killing and maiming.

7. Fluoride, whether natural or artificial, causes fluorosis--some severe enough to cripple kids in certain 3rd world countries (e.g. India).

8. Tooth decay is easily prevented by brushing with salt or baking soda. Using fluoride to kill bacteria and "strengthen enamel" is like using a flamethrower to kill a fly. Toxic overkill (literally).

9. Fluoride actually replaces the original strong construction of the tooth with an inferior, chalky and brittle imposter.

OK, that's enough for now.

P.S. I'm also happy to add that I was part of a small group of motivated and informed citizens who fought city hall, the town newspaper, NPR, the indoctrinated medical "professionals", and the prevailing "conventional wisdom" among the citizenry to get the proposed fluoridation of our community's drinking water voted down--resoundingly.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Quick question. Does the research state that flouride causes hypothyroidism? Or does hypothryoidism allow easier access for bad stuff to invade your system? I was diagnosed hyperthyroid and thengive the radiation treatment to kill my thyroid which leaves me on synthroid for the rest of my life. Its been 2 years and they are still trying to get the dosage correct.

Fluoride baths were frequently prescribed for patients with hyperthyroidism (e.g. Graves Disease) to reduce thyroid activity. So, yes, fluoride slows thyroid activity. I can't speak for what conditions hypothyroidism causes other than lethargy and weight gain. Might be worth a "google"?

Sorry to hear you were subjected to such . . . er, drastic . . . treatment.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
indeed! end flouridation, now!

I drink distilled water... i get the minerals I supposably miss from tap water somewhere else.

I also noticed that since I've been using NON-flouride toothpaste, that my teeth have NEVER been cleaner.

Whats that thing that doctors say... if you woulnd't put it in your eye, don't drink it/eat it?

I would not put flouride in my eye.

A new t-shirt I ordered that I frequently wear around town and when I visit my parents.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
GUys n gals, i did some digging, and found some cool websiites, for what its worth for all

www.healthilluminationproducts.com...
This advertises a shower fitler that reduces flouride...
www.wellingtonwaterfilters.co.nz...
I think thats how the website spelled flouride for its link... bu htey have a cool countertop automactic water distiller

And, some info about flouride and shower water... fluoride.squarespace.com...
Wonder what everyone thinks about the shower fitler, and wether or not it likely can Really remove flouride.
Just wanted to pass this info on to all here

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

This may sound quite disgusting to many who read this. However, for my entire life (going on almost twenty years) I can say that on very few occasions have I brushed my teeth twice a day. Usually it's once every day or every two days or three days that I do. At times over a week had elapsed before I brushed. I bring this up, because quite astonishingly (possible only to myself) I have never gotten a cavity nor do I have any problems with my teeth.

Here's a bit of information on the fluoride compounds that are used in toothpaste and water fluoridation.

.243% of my 8.4 oz. tube of toothpaste consists of sodium fluoride. That comes out to 2.43mg/g of toothpaste or 581.74mg/tube. Based on wide range of LD50's on this Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for sodium fluoride anywhere from 3g to 39 tubes of this toothpaste could kill a 63kg human. While I doubt the lethal dose resides at either of those extremes, there IS a lethal dose for the active ingredient in a product that many people use daily. Sodium Fluoride is a corrosive chemical that can affect many organs in the body even if is not swallowed. Check out the MSDS. I'm sure you'll be surprised at the toxicity of a product you probably use daily.

In the United States hexafluorosilicic acid is the most commonly used chemical for fluoridating water. Just as sodium fluoride, hexafluorosilicic acid is toxic as well as corrosive. It is "harmful by inhalation,""in contact with skin,"and "if swallowed." Also, it "causes burns," and can cause "serious damage to the eyes." Here is theMSDS for hexafluorosilicic acid.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join