It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth May Once Have Had Three Moons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
This may be old for some or even quite dull, but I thought it was interesting that we probably had 2 other moons once upon a time. Not as big as what we have now but to know there was something else up there could possiblt change they way we look at the formation of the planet and lunar influences.

Earth may once have had more than one moon, most probably two more, NASA scientists think.

Lissauer and Chambers figure the two small moons would have orbited Earth for about 100 million years before the slight gravitational tugs from the solar system's other planets sent them spiraling off course, either to crash into the Moon or Earth or to drift off into space.

Source

GEORGIA, USA: In its youth our Moon may have once been bracketed by two asteroidal companions, says a new study. From Earth, these tiny moons – up to 100 km wide – would have appeared as two extremely bright stars.

Another source

(bbcode)

[edit on 19-5-2008 by Jbird]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Cool find.

Our moon was most likely formed when Earth was in its molten sate. An asteroid hit Earth as it had done plenty of times in the past and knocked a huge rock into our orbit.

Whose to say there wasn't more than one rock ejected from Earth?

The reasons they aren't here today might include:

1) They were smaller and were knocked way off, to far to be pulled in to our gravitational pull

2) They might have over time conjoined with our moon or Earth

3) Possibly destroyed by an asteroid

TC

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Interesting. There is ABSOLUTELY NO PROOF of this, yet because a "scientist" says it, it passes two days here with no "debunking", no one making fun of it, no calls for "proof", nothing.

I guess when the high priests of science claim it, the brethren all say "amen!"

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

I for one did not say it was completely true and the article says "it may have had" It is afterall speculation, but I see your point. I was only passing on a story I personally thought was interesting and thought other might as well.

There may not have been many calls for proof, but at least there has not been 2 days of yahooing and cheering about a great mystery that had been solved....

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

It have been two days since the creation of this thread, but it's the first time I see it.

The first thing I thought when I read the opening post was "how can they know?", the second thing was "do they have any way of confirming it?"

And you should not assume that because people do not flock to this thread asking for proof they all accept it, I think most people simply ignored it.

I would have ignored it if it wasn't for you post.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Yes, this is idle speculation at best. Even if a couple of smaller moons were knocking around for a few hundred million years, we aren't ever going to have proof unless someone invents a time machine that allows us to travel back 4.4 billion years.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
If you read Jim Marrs books it says that there is a theory that for most of Earths history we had NO MOON. None. The one that is there is new and was 'brought in' by others to use as a platform for viewing us.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Now that is one I have not heard. Personally 2 additional (now mssing) moons is a little more feasible. Short of me tracking down the book, could you possibly expand on that or provide some links etc. I would really like to have a look at that. Sounds like a fascinating read.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

That's impossible. Unless you wanna pull a John Lear, the moon causes the tides. There are many animals that have been around for millions of years (and some would say could even have been some of the first life) that really on the tides for their daily rhythm and survival. That's not a theory, that's filler to make the book longer.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Well, I believe that at one time there was no Moon,[although there may not have been 'tides' there would surely still have been currents caused by the evaporation cycle and the varying sea temperatures between Equator and the Poles].
There are , apparently, references to a people known as Proselenians, [before the Moon] in Greek classical writing, and in the Anglo Saxon Chronicles is an entry which reads,'this night were seen two Moons in the sky'. I think that it is possible that the second' Moon' may have been Mercury which looks just as artificial as our Moon, and being a similar size could even be a 'sister ship'.
Just my thoughts on the matter, no links, no videos.
Regards,
Horsegiver

top topics

join