It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Randi = Amazing or Annoying ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
So whats your opinion of him ?
I think he's okay but may be a bit too skeptical. I had an "out there" thought about him. Maybe he has amazing powers and uses them to steal other psychics powers !! I know talk about woo woo

Anyway, did he debunk your favorite psychic/other person connected to fringe subjects ? Do you think he is Amazing ?

I had to edit this post as no one replied to my first copy about pdf's lol

So James Randi. Amazing or Annoying. Please reply

[edit on 19-5-2008 by trilateral_insignia]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by trilateral_insignia

As far as James Randi goes, I don't know much about him other than his site jref. But, if that is any indication of the man, I don't know. His site is filled with vitriol. I couldn't stand reading past about 4 posts on there. But, I also did hear that he retracted his million dollar offer. I wonder why?

[edit on 5/19/2008 by Griff]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
James Randi is brilliant.

He does great work, and does not get the credit he deserves.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I think the guy's an idiot.
He fobs off any evidence contrary to his own restricted and narrow minded world view, yet offers no viable alternative explanations for anything put to him.
Don't get me wrong. I do think the world needs a healthy dose of skepticism from time to time, but a bald head, round spectacles and a grey beard do not a wise man make.
If it was up to him, we'd all still be thinking the world was flat, and blood-letting was the best way to cure disease.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by trilateral_insignia

You have to ASK...?

OK, I'll restate (verbatim) my as yet unchanged opinion of him, based on his thinking as expounded by his words: he has ZERO intellectual honesty - and that is the one quality that no thinker, let alone researcher, can do without.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by trilateral_insignia
So whats your opinion of him ?
I think he's okay but may be a bit too skeptical. I had an "out there" thought about him. Maybe he has amazing powers and uses them to steal other psychics powers !! I know talk about woo woo

Anyway, did he debunk your favorite psychic/other person connected to fringe subjects ? Do you think he is Amazing ?

I had to edit this post as no one replied to my first copy about pdf's lol

So James Randi. Amazing or Annoying. Please reply

[edit on 19-5-2008 by trilateral_insignia]

As editor and owner of one the magazines that the skeptic groups around the world LOVE to HATE - I know quite a lot about the lies, spin and deception promulgated down through the ranks of skeptical 'followers' from 'leaders' like Randi.

I call them followers because most member skeptics merely rely upon, and cite the 'expert debunking' provided to them from experts up on high without question. Randi is quoted as an expert source of why things are frauds, hoaxes or rubbish - with rarely a thought as to his own level of honesty or accuracy to facts.

There are many cases where Randi has refused to accept applications for his famed reward offer. Rarely do the members of his own organisation never ever get to hear of who he rejects out of hand, or why. He appears only to accept challenges that he can 'beat'. How convenient.

The case of Project Alpha is a well-documented and thoroughly researched example of the lies and spin of James Randi.

michaelprescott.typepad.com...

Personally, I put closed-minded 'skeptics' in the same category as closed-minded 'believers' - neither bother to become informed with an open mind - and neither do their respective 'causes' any good as a result.

peace

Duncan

new topics

top topics

join