It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taco Truck War In East LA--What do YOU think?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I have been following a news story since around March 6th, (2008) about a crackdown by city councilors in East Los Angeles prohibiting taco truck owners from parking in one place for more than an hour. Fines up to $1,000 will be imposed on violators. The crackdown went into effect last Thursday (05/15/2008).

Here's a link to an NPR report: www.npr.org...

The crackdown was enacted (according to East LA's commissioners) because taco truck owners were parking their trucks in front of restaurants, and the restaurant owners believed they were losing customers to the taco trucks because taco truck owners have a lower overhead and could charge lower prices. So the restaurant owners were filing so many complaints, that the East LA commissioners decided to start enforcing this law (which has been on the books for quite a few years). And the East LA commissioners also increased the fine up to $1,000 for violating the rule.

This is a very intriguing story to me, as it truly has many facets to it.

First of all, there is (obviously) the culture issue. Whenever race is involved, people are immediately incensed and all "up in arms" about the issue. And history is replete with grievances against various cultures. Some cultures have such a deep-seated hatred that has built up over the course of years, decades, and even centuries. For example, some of the Native Americans still act like their people were just forced along the trail of tears yesterday, and that I am to blame for it.

Secondly, you have the small business issue. Now THIS is sticky, because more than one type of business is involved in this issue. The most prominent type of business is the taco truck owners, who the law was written about. They make some interesting points when the talk about how they pay taxes, have legitimate businesses and business concerns, and a license to vend their wares.

But what about the traditional restaurant owners who also pay taxes, have legitimate businesses and business concerns, and a license to vend THEIR wares? What if the taco truck owners are in fact, taking away customers from their restaurants?

Another issue in this battle is the fact that taco truck owners are often open late into the night, whereas traditional restaurants are not.

What do the rest of you think about this though?

[edit on 19-5-2008 by livingtorch]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I'd say the taco truck vendors have every right to be there because they were smarter than the owners of a brick and mortar business.

If we wish to worship capitalism then the rules should apply across the board, no exceptions. Therefore if Jose figures out a way to give a better product, with better service at a better cost then Jose wins the the right to the consumers business, its as simple as that.

We shouldn't bend the rules to include some situations and exclude others because it will take away ones rights and give them to another.

In this situation, clearly a higher power gave the taco truck vendor more business savvy than the other guy in order to be successful. Why should the government intervene just because they don't like the rules of the game?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Then again, if I want a taco, I know where to go with a brick and mortar building. I don't ever want a taco badly enough to go hunting for wherever the truck may be parked. Mobile businesses are literally "fly by night" establishments in which you have little recourse if they give you food poisoning. Established business that have a stake in the neighborhood tend to promote values that benefit the neighborhood whereas less established businesses only interest is to swoop into a sweet money-maker, suck it dry and move on.

Two sides to every story.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I live in the wrong state. I wish I had mobile taco vendors. Instead I am stuck sausage carts.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Yo gusto el tacos.

Esta muy bueno.

El comidia esta bueno!

Yay for moblie taco stands... they are all over SoCal... i got sick once from a 2am burrito... but, that about it...

Other then that, these mobile tacos stands are pretty nice, open 24hrs... the bad thing is when they cleanit out... they just push all the garbage into the parking lot... its pretty gross, but whatever, thats thier culture...

Para Rivir!

new topics

top topics

join