It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google under fire again for handing user info to police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Google under fire again for handing user info to police

www.theregister.co.uk

Police asked Google for user information for the person behind a post called "I hate Sonia Gandhi" - Gandhi being a Congress party politician. Google provided an IP number and email address which were used to identify Rahul Krishnakumar Vaid.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Continued from above...On Friday Vaid was arrested at home and charged with uploading obscene and derogatory text in breach of section 292 of the Penal Code and section 67 of the Information Technology Act, according to ExpressIndia...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Not sure what to think about this. Google is such an integral part of online life for, I would say, the vast majority of internet users. I appreciate that Google needs to abide the laws and rulings of the countries in which it operates but with Google being such a widely used tool (all its offerings) shouldn't it exempt from monitoring the its users for anything other than Google's improvement?

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19/5/08 by Rapacity]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Don't forget to Proxy and don't use Static I.P otherwise you're a nub.

Okay this does suck. It doesn't even seem so...out of fashion? A personal attack at most. It would be like me *hypothetically* calling any member of ATS a 'nobber'. Even it were true, it wouldn't matter.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Looks like google is going over to the darkside.

Ill keep that in mind. If they actually had you in mind
they wouldnt record your IP, theres no reason to.

Other than giving it to the police.

new topics

top topics

join