It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freemasonry. The Brothers don't pay taxes.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Actually, the tax-exempt status isn't the WHOLE fraternity... it depends on the jurisdiction. Some of the lodges in New Mexico are tax exempt, but not many. The Grand Lodge doesn't wan't us to bring it up, because they don't want a precedent set. We might not have that status, but if it's ever DENIED, it'd be almost impossible to get later on. So we wait. And we pay.

A Past Master from Albuquerque

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
where do I join? Seriously!!

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Actually, the tax-exempt status isn't the WHOLE fraternity... it depends on the jurisdiction. Some of the lodges in New Mexico are tax exempt, but not many. The Grand Lodge doesn't wan't us to bring it up, because they don't want a precedent set. We might not have that status, but if it's ever DENIED, it'd be almost impossible to get later on. So we wait. And we pay.

I'm not sure what you mean. Under section 501 of the IRS Code, *all* non-profit fraternal organizations and civic clubs are tax exempt. Not only Masonic Lodges, but also Moose Lodges, Elk Lodges, Rotary Clubs, Lions Clubs, etc.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Masonic Light

I had heard that the Scottish Rite in California actually had to apply as a "religious" institution to get tax exempt status. I don't know if it's true, I remember it being discussed on ATS so I will continue looking for the article.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Well there's taxes then you got your taxes. State tax, federal tax, county tax, city tax, excise tax, gasoline tax, sales tax, property tax, county tax, carpet tax, marriage tax, death tax, sewer tax, sitting around tax, etc.

The IRS code applies to federal tax. However there are a great many other taxes that groups can be assessed for, regardless of the federal tax exemption.

I found this re New Mexico Masons, for example-
www.tax.state.nm.us...

So "tax exemption" is a pretty broad term and one size doesn't fit all. Your mileage may vary.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

The IRS code applies to federal tax. However there are a great many other taxes that groups can be assessed for, regardless of the federal tax exemption.

True. I assumed he was talking about federal income tax.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I had heard that the Scottish Rite in California actually had to apply as a "religious" institution to get tax exempt status. I don't know if it's true, I remember it being discussed on ATS so I will continue looking for the article.
Yeah, I recall hearing that about one of the California bodies... Didn't recall it being Scottish Rite specifically, but it may have been... Something about the property tax on the parking lot adjacent their temple. In the process of arguing that they shouldn't have to pay such a tax, the state of California classified them as a religious organization. Happened about a year ago, I think.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I have in my possession a memo issued by Grand Commander Seale on the subject. I do not have permission to publish the letter, but to summarize it, Brother Seale, who is himself an attorney by profession, studied the ruling.

The Scottish Rite did not apply for religious recognition; rather, the courts simply considered on their own whether the federal "religious land use" statutes would apply. The Court of Appeals ruled that since the Scottish Rite is not a religion, it does not apply.

This had to do with state property taxes, not federal income taxes. Here in my state, all Masonic organizations pay state property taxes.

[edit on 23-5-2008 by Masonic Light]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Ah, thanks for clearing that up ML.

I am fairly certain that in Ohio we also pay state and local taxes, however no Federal. Our lodge is downtown and in a crappy part of town so the taxes I am sure are not THAT bad.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cutbothways

It would be wise to do more home work about the FreeMasons of America,
not only do they support the Shrine there are also hundreds more hospitals /burn centers/child care centers . The bills people could rack up in a normal hospital is paid for in full when any one goes to a Masonic care center. They not only support medicl needs but many of our youth organisations. They are a one hundred % non profit group just like the American leagion, Eagle's club ,Rotary an many more. The Masons do not sell any hats or pins or any thing of that nature They buy them whole sale from corporations that make things like that. And no they do not get discounts. Masons do not even own their lodges they are rented and they pay a water bill and heat and electricity just like every one else. The Masons of my community are very involved. They just did a day of Free Child Identification program where parents could take their kid and get digital finger prints,photos,voice recognition all of this was placed on a cd that is compatible with every police station in and around America all at no charge to the parents. They even support after school programs for the youth to help guide them in the rite direction whitch could be any direction that does not involve drugs or alchohol. Masons dont ask to even be recognised for ALL their diffrent charitable programs, notice there are no comercials praising their good deeds like the BP petroliom companies.
Last but not least George Wasington ya know that guy who aided in our freedome from Britans control was a Mason as were many of the signers of both our Greates documents to America. If I had the Time I would be a Mason. There can be no greater reward for serving the community than the feeling of a job well done.Peace to all an may we all strive to walk in the light of truth. Jeremy James

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by cutbothways

Maybe people should pay more attention to the tens of thousands of children this "Secret Society" helps each year and less about It's tax status and conspiracy theories.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
cuts both ways interesting threads, and man the masons are a band of brothers are they not?

I need to join the masonry, put in some time and see what these lower level masons are about, and wether they must defend their brethren, or wether they do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

comes across suspicious but that's just my gut

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Don- I've been looking for you. This is Ray, with the 81 Heritage! Give me a call, man! Take care - hope everything is good for you.
Ray

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join