It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you believe in Extra Terrestrials?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Most people in here believe in Aliens right? I could be wrong. Anyway, the question is, why? have you seen them or something? have you had a close encounter of the third kind? or is it just because you seen fake pictures posted on the internet. Could be for several reasons.

I hope you don't believe in Aliens just because you saw Spielberg's E.T. Or because of hollywood's images of aliens over the years. what solid evidence do you have for yourself to believe that they have come here in a flying saucer or whatever it may be. just give a simple reason why you believe that they are real. Please no youtube stuff, that's not validation.

I believe in them for the following reason: "I been to their planet in an OOBE and I've seen their race and their planet" So that's my reason why I believe in Aliens. Discuss and give a brief, but solid answer. thanks!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
purely for the fact that there are between 200 and 400 BILLION stars in our galaxy alone,and a further uncountable billion galaxies just like it. It is plain laughable and a little arrogant to think that we've the only place where life has evolved. races will have been around for millions of years before us,and will be millions of years more advanced than us. (IMO)

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

interesting, so you took the scientific astronomical side. that's fine. I've taken lots of astronomy classes too, still no sign of life out there in the science. but that's a good example. there are other planets out there, that's 100% fact, but we they don't know if they have lifeforms. From what i've seen they do. Any other reason Acid?

Mod Edit: Entire quote of preceding post removed. Reply To function used. Please see ABOUT ATS: Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 19/5/08 by JAK]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Well here's why for me, the chances of there being life outside our planet is immense.

Their findings, soon to be published in the Astrophysical Journal, estimate that at least 25 percent of Sun-like stars have planets.

"This means there are at least 100 billion stars with planets in our Galaxy," Lineweaver said. "With about 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe, our result suggests that there are at least 10 trillion planetary systems in the Universe."

Are we the only ones with 10 trillion planetary systems out there?

Edit to add source.

Source.

[edit on 19-5-2008 by Denied]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Well,I saw a triangle ufo about 15 or so years ago. That was pretty convincing.
Also other people's experiences. Some people automaticly don't believe anything anyone says about contact with ET. I certainly don't think everyone's a liar out there. Some people are (again,IMO) having bad stuff done to them by creatures from out of space. But that stuff takes alot of faith in the subject to get your head around. (luckily i have alot of faith in the subject) That's not to say that I'll flat out believe everyone,but I'll certainly listen to their story and judge for myself. (as that's all I can do)

I just "know" deep inside my self,that there's plent of life out there. We're practicly in the outback in consideration to our position in the galaxy. I think that's the main reason we don't get much action. (also,we're too young a species)

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Like the two posters above me, I believe it would be awfully closed-minded to think that we are the only intelligent life in the universe. Space is just so vast and we know so little about it, statistically speaking there must be something out there.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
ok, so far you guys are saying that you believe in them because of the Math. Because the odds are 10 million to one. I get that. So does that belief solely come from science or is there a faith or spiritual aspect of your belief? just wondering, because yes, in astronomy we know there are other galaxies, clusters, etc. but science in no way has released or announced that there's life out there in any of those planets. science has not verified life on other planets. therefore, doens't that mean that you are assuming? just want to understand because I believe in et's for no other reason but my OOBE, not from what I learned from science.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Yeah,there's definatly alot of faith at least,with a dollop of spirituality thrown in. That one's going to be differrent for everyone,as we've all got our own beliefs. I've certainly got alot of faith resting on it.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
Because the odds are 10 million to one.

Its 10 trillion to one.
Thats a pretty big statistic, no single footage as yet has proved aliens exist, but the "maths" speak for themselves i think.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic

Well,I saw a triangle ufo about 15 or so years ago.

alright Acid,

That reason alone is all you need to believe in them. Jaime Mauzan believes in them solely because he's seen UFO footage/video. so I would say having a sighting is a very good reason to believe in them. congratulations.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I'd also like to envoke the law of "the most plausable answer is the most likley" which is definatly the case here.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I don't know that I believe in aliens per sé...

What I know however is that the government is witholding information on the subject and that the NSA would not release what it had to CAUS on the grounds of national security.

On November 18, 1980, based upon a NSA top secret affidavit, the Court dismissed the lawsuit stating that "the continued need for secrecy far out weighed the public's right to know."

External Link

So, while everyone is chasing their tails over the 'Do You Believe' question, I'm just seeing the more fundamental question being ignored. If the UFO question is without weight or evidence... why not simply release all the documents?

[edit on 5/19/2008 by uv777bk]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
On the ninth of this month I had a life changing moment when I saw two UFO's above Edinburgh at 0300 or thereabouts. I have always believed that ET was already here but the ninth proved it to me and I was not hallucinating, nor was it a plane or a satellite (Satellites do not give off red and blue flashing lights).

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Good stuff. See, I think I have the categories down.

people who believe in aliens.

1. Those who base their belief on seeing UFO footage (Jaime Mausan)
2. Those who base their belief on Astronomy and numbers (denied)
3. Those who base their belief on faith (Religion)
4. Those who base their belief on actual close encounters of the 3rd kind.
5. Those who have been to their planet and seem them in person. (Me)
6. Those who base their belief on watching films and reading books.
7. Those who have come for ATS for too long.

Did I miss anyone?

Oh! how can I forget the abductees! they are the ones who should definitely believe in aliens right?

[edit on 19-5-2008 by jedimiller]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I also believe it because of the mathematics involved.

However, I’m interested in the OOBE you suggest you have had, but disregard the idea people can’t believe what they see on youtube. People have reasons for believing in one thing or another and I believe its wrong to tell people that if they see something on you tube its not valid. Alot of footage on youtube is fake IMO. But a small portion of it is believable.

I say this because some people will believe that your OOBE is a dream and nothing more. I find it very difficult to believe myself, not that im saying your experience isn't very real to you. Still, I’m very willing to read about it if you care to type about it.

Cheers,
Jab0rnal

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jab0rnal
its wrong to tell people that if they see something on you tube its not valid. Alot of footage on youtube is fake IMO. But a small portion of it is believable.

I know it's wrong to tell people that. it's just my opinion. I think it's silly for someone to look at a Youtube video and then suddenly be a believer in aliens. if anyone does believe in aliens because they saw a youtube video i'd like to talk to you. I sent you a U2U.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Hi jedimiller,

I cant send u2u's yet as i havent posted 20 times so i will respond here. Here is what i wanted to send;

Hey there, here's my OOBE experience thread. reason i joined ats.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hello jedimiller,

Your experience sounds.... errm... unbelievable. Have you told this story to a "professional", if so what did he/she think of it?

You may have experienced this first hand and had a true genuine OOBE but clearly in the linked thread you have many non-believers. I guess this is to be expected from and experience that probably doesn’t happen to many people.

As for the youtubers that believe because they have watched, I don’t know any personally.

All the best and I wish you luck in the future.
Jab0rnal.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Well like many who posted before me, I'll state that the Math speaks for itself.

Also, I'd like to add Jedimiller, that while 'life' has not been officially detected, the necessary requirements for life have been detected on other worlds.

Even in our own Solar System, life as we know it is possible on Europa (moon of Jupiter) and seems to be indicated by the staining that is apparent on the surface (found in the cracks in the surface ice). As someone who works with Algae a lot (I'm working with 'Chlamy' now
) I certainly feel that the photosynthetic (appearing) staining most likely represents Algae, or another form of bacteria that resembles Algae.

That's life.

Now, certainly, it has yet to be confirmed by us travelling to Europa, landing, and studying a sample of the stuff.

But to be perfectly honest, I've yet to read an alternate explanation for this staining that I find plausible. A Prioi predictions (not only mine, but of other Scientists studying Europa) seem to indicate that what we're seeing on the moon's surface could be life. The tidal heating of the planet (gravity induced as a result of the proximity of Jupiter and the other Gallilean moons) create a situation where the Moon may well in fact have a liquid water ocean under the surface ice. The cracks (and on high resolution images the 'fresh ice' that has moved up as a liquid into the cracks and frozen there, indicate that this is a strong possibility. Also, the 'weight' of the planet (as determined by NASA) really only makes sense if we're looking at a frozen body with an internal liquid ocean (some say it's at least 60 miles deep, that's higher than the official 'border' of space from the surface of the Earth, and plenty of room for life to take hold).

Aside from actually observations, and the Math based upon what we know of the Universe around us, there are 2 additional reasons I personally am a proponent for the theory that Aliens exist (please note that there is no 'belief' stated in my conclusions).

1) The Battle of Los Angeles, and similar cases.
There is ample evidence to suggest (in many cases, but the BOLA serves as a well researched example) that craft built somewhere besides Earth has visited our planet. In the BOLA case for example, the object in questions clearly displayed qualities not observed in Human built craft, even modern day craft. In the 1940's this technology was surely WELL beyond the capacity of Humans to create. Further, if the object in question WAS a Human built craft, why in the 60+ years since the event have we not been informed of this craft's existence? Why was the craft not utilized during WW2? Or in ANY War since? This is clear evidence of a visit from something 'not of this world', as the evidence stands to date.
There are many other cases with tangible evidence. Phobos 2 comes to mind, among many other cases.

2) Personal sightings.
I have seen, firsthand, objects in the skies of Earth (all over North America, from coast to coast and from North to South) that behave in ways modern Aircraft cannot behave.

Also, and this I find highly interesting, I find people argue against the possibility of Alien Life without any grounds to stand on.

People like myself (true proponents who have studied the phenomenon in depth) will be able to cite a list like I did above.

The pseudo skeptic will argue against the possibility simply because that person has not personally witnessed the phenomenon.

The true skeptic will not make a determination until there is evidence enough to make a strong case. I feel personally that there is evidence to make the case for Life out there. I feel also that it is impossible to prove a negative (such as life doesn't exist outside of Earth).

Frankly, anyone willing to live under the assumption that Earth is the sole source of life in the Universe, is necessarily ignoring the fact that Humans have never personally investigated even 1 world other than Earth. One only needs to understand the History of Mars (and the high likelyhood of finding fossilized organisms in the soil that where once alive) to be able to reserve definitive judgement ruling out the possibility of life, at least until Humans have set foot on Mars and collected soil samples.

The oppostition to life outside of Earth truly has nothing but ignorance (sometimes willful ignorance) as a defense.

We must remember at all times, that either way right now it's just a theory.

Theory 1 - There is life outside of Earth
Theory 2 - There is not life outside of Earth

Absence of Evidence does not translate into Evidence of Absence, ESPECIALLY when we've not even physically explored even 1 other world for ourselves. Frankly, the evidence isn't in, so there isn't really an absence of Evidence other than the fact that we have yet to study the situation firsthand and observe evidence.

Looking at the science, the math, and the visual indications of life (Europa is just one example) I find it foolish to become a proponent of the Second Theory. The first theory looks MUCH more likely to be true, given what we know at this point in our evolution.

After typing about it in depth here, I'm actually wondering what the case is for Theory 2? How about it proponents of the negative? Care to describe what evidence leads you to your determination?

-WFA

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I believe because I want to. I want to think that there is something out there that sees us as interesting enough to visit.

When I was younger and more impressionable, I had a few 'sightings'. In my quest to have a sighting, normal things were blown out of proportion by my over active imagination. Alot of my earlier threads detail this quite well. I wasn't lying, but with hindsight I can see the logic I failed, or didn't want to, see.

Even recently I mistaken something perfectly explainable for UFO's. But I'll tell you, that hour when I though I had a proper sighting was unbelievable. Much akin to someone religious getting a peak of an angel or whatnot.

But after nearly 10 ten years of reading books, watching shows and surfing this site on the subject I believe 100% that we are being visited. Nothing can change my mind.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I believe because I don't like to think we're arrogant to believe we are the only ones in the universe. I have all the old questions...how did the Egyptians build pyramids where did atlantis go? things like that.

[edit on 19-5-2008 by kam6670]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join