Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Alien Monolith Found on Saturn's Moon Iapetus?

page: 1

join

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Recieved an E-mail this morning with a link to this website.

Link

In the deep reaches of our solar system, 40,000 kms away, orbiting the planet Saturn - exists a moon with a most interesting feature.

Here on Earth, Mt. Everest highest peak is about 9 KM. This ridge is double that size and circles almost the entire planet. If you lived near the ridge, one half of the entire sky would be consumed by this monstrosity!

I know there are quite a few threads on this already, but I feel that this could reignite some peoples interest in this moon.

Author of the 1968 "2001: A Space Odyssey", Arthur C. Clarke, writes about Iapetus. In the final chapters of the book, astronaut Dave Bowman finds an enigmatic alien monolith waiting for him on the surface of Iapetus.

So what are your opinions on this?

Is Iapetus an Alien Structure or Spaceship?

Or is it just an old, eroded planet?

tO

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Wiki's Description.

Wikipedia

Also, does the fact that the difference between the two hemispheres remain a mystery, do anything to sway you into thinking what this might be?

tO

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Link

Here is a pic of the difference in hemispheres.

Certainly looks interesting.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOmen

This reminds me of that weird Indian account of the universe being used in previous millennia... anyway, it was a fairly new thread...
The point was, that there were "death star" like ships, the size of moons, that were in this solar system. That is what I thought of when I saw this. It looks like a dead and weathered "death star". Hope that isn't considered a dumb comparison.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Not at all, it does alot actually!

So what are you opinions on this?

Any experts that know more on this topic?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Thats a rather scary thought, if that moon would in fact be a leftover remnant of a giant weapon then soon we should see our governments try to explore it and seeing how it works.
would such information be made public if it was in fact the remnants of a moon sized battleship?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Richard C Hoagland has done alot of work researching Iapetus. He draws some minor conclusions that I'm not quite ready to agree with. For instance, he finds vertical structures on the surface using poor quality photos. But I largely agree with him that the moon is unlike any moon in our solar system and that it could potentially be a vessel. The moon does seem to be not a sphere but a geodesic dome type structure.

Please check out his work and decide for yourself.

A Moon With A View

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I'm not an expert, but i'll add my two cents:

Iapetus is by far my favourite moon of Saturn.
As far as i know, no monolith has been spotted so far:

Hello! This is Arthur Clarke, joining you from my home in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
I'm delighted to be part of this event to mark Cassini's flyby of Iapetus.
I send my greetings to all my friends - known and unknown - who are gathered for this important occasion.
I only wish I could be with you, but I'm now completely wheelchaired by Polio and have no plans to leave Sri Lanka again.

Read more here

Arthur C Clarke talks about the Cassini mission

about its "ridge, there's still much to know.

Scientists want to know more about the composition of the dark material that coats Iapetus. They also want to learn more about Iapetus' distinctive walnut shape and the chain of mountains along its equator.

saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

The most unique, and perhaps most remarkable feature discovered on Iapetus in Cassini images is a topographic ridge that coincides almost exactly with the geographic equator. The ridge is conspicuous in the picture as an approximately 20-kilometer wide (12 miles) band that extends from the western (left) side of the disc almost to the day/night boundary on the right. On the left horizon, the peak of the ridge reaches at least 13 kilometers (8 miles) above the surrounding terrain. Along the roughly 1,300 kilometer (800 mile) length over which it can be traced in this picture, it remains almost exactly parallel to the equator within a couple of degrees. The physical origin of the ridge has yet to be explained. It is not yet clear whether the ridge is a mountain belt that has folded upward, or an extensional crack in the surface through which material from inside Iapetus erupted onto the surface and accumulated locally, forming the ridge. The origin of Cassini Regio is a long-standing debate among scientists. One theory proposes that its dark material may have erupted onto Iapetus's icy surface from the interior. Another theory holds that the dark material represented accumulated debris ejected by impact events on dark, outer satellites of Saturn. Details of this Cassini image mosaic do not definitively rule out either of the theories. However, they do provide important new insights and constraints.

Encountering Iapetus - PIA06166

Iapetus Fly-by

This flyby was nearly 100 times closer to Iapetus than Cassini's 2004 flyby, bringing the spacecraft to about 1,640 kilometers (1,000 miles) from the surface. The moon's irregular walnut shape, the mountain ridge that lies almost directly on the equator and Iapetus' brightness contrast are among the key mysteries scientists are trying to solve.

www.youtube.com...

Backstage Pass to Iapetus

Go backstage as scientists watch in real-time as the closest-ever pictures of Saturn's mysterious moon Iapetus are beamed back by NASA's Cassini spacecraft.

Source
View this video
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

.. some more interesting stuff .....

This image shows the dark, leading hemisphere of the mysterious moon Iapetus. The dark area is the Cassini region, named for Giovanni Cassini, who discovered the moon in 1672. The diameter of Iapetus is 1,436 kilometers (892 miles).

Cassini noted that he was able to see the moon on one side of its orbit around Saturn, but not on the other side. From this, he correctly deduced that one hemisphere must be dark while the other is much brighter.

www.nasa.gov...
www.nasa.gov...

N00022350.jpg was taken on October 16, 2004 and received on Earth October 17, 2004. The camera was pointing toward IAPETUS at approximately 1,143,028 kilometers away, and the image was taken using the CL1 and CL2 filters. This image has not been validated or calibrated. A validated/calibrated image will be archived with the NASA Planetary Data System in 2005.

saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

The following is the caption of one of the photos used to create the animation:

N00007426.jpg was taken on July 20, 2004 and received on Earth July 21, 2004. The camera was pointing toward IAPETUS at approximately 3,263,523 kilometers away, and the image was taken using the CL1 and CL2 filters. This image has not been validated or calibrated. A validated/calibrated image will be archived with the NASA Planetary Data System in 2005.

Source:
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

this sequence has been made from:

saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

Some nice images:
Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

[edit on 19/5/2008 by internos]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

wow, and i thought i was contributing
Way to go Internos! blue star from me!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I have a baaaad feeling about this.....

-

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I have a great feeling about this.

I've always wanted a frosted chocolate walnut!

Good job, internos!!!

I love that moon. It's so bizarre.

I've been wondering about that moon ever since I about it a few years ago. It was a website suggesting that Iapetus was a giant alien base, and that was before I got into all this stuff... but I seriously considered it before forgetting about the whole thing for a while.

Great pictures. I'm gunna put a picture of Iapetus on my band's myspace profile as our drummer.

On drums - the giant frosted chocolate walnut!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Wow, you have an awesome collection of information!

I hope this gives everyone alot more info on this topic!

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
TheOmen I need to speak with you... please email me...
my signature is placed as it is a rush job... I have to speak with you asap...
see you then... as it cannot be said on this site... nothing innapropriate just that its not something I can say here...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
TheOmen.... I must speak with you on something very important.... its about your light warrior thing.... I have urgent need to speak with you...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

That could result in a warning, if the mods do not see it in a cinematographic way.

And yes, Iapetus is interesting, like all the rest of the Solar system.

[edit on 18/8/2008 by ArMaP]

xul

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
"In the deep reaches of our solar system, 40,000 kms away..."

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Imagine two masses of semi molten materials with different compositions colliding, this can result in such a moon with a ridge at the junction.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The Wikipedia article offers solutions that make the most sense, I highly doubt any form of life has existed in our solar system on a planet other than Earth. Life intelligent enough to make a ridge as large as that, at least.

1. A team of scientists associated with the Cassini mission have argued that the ridge could be a remnant of the oblate shape of the young Iapetus, when it was rotating more rapidly than it does today.[18] The height of the ridge suggests a maximum rotational period of 17 hours. If Iapetus cooled fast enough to preserve the ridge but remain plastic long enough for the tides raised by Saturn to have slowed the rotation to its current tidally locked 79 days, Iapetus must have been heated by the radioactive decay of aluminium-26. This isotope appears to have been abundant in the solar nebula from which Saturn formed, but has since all decayed. The quantities of aluminium-26 needed to heat Iapetus to the required temperature give a tentative date to its formation relative to the rest of the Solar System: Iapetus must have come together earlier than expected, only two million years after the asteroids started to form.

2. The ridge could be icy material that welled up from beneath the surface and then solidified. If it had formed away from the then equator, this hypothesis requires that the rotational axis would have been driven to its current position by the ridge.[citation needed]

3. It has also been suggested that Iapetus could have had a ring system during its formation due to its large Hill sphere, and that the equatorial ridge was then produced by collisional accretion of this ring.[19] However, the ridge appears too solid to be the result of a collapsed ring. Also, recent images show tectonic faults running through the ridge, apparently inconsistent with the collapsed ring hypothesis[13].

[edit on 18-8-2008 by OnionCloud]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
It looks more like a toy with a seam joining the two halves than a moon. It kind of looks artificial. I could easily go with a space ship here.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by WickedStar

I read the Moon with a View this Saturday. Thanks for posting that it was really fascinating! Maybe there
are beings in there in suspendend annimation waiting for the Earthlings to come visit. Those speres from
Africa's deep rock layers suspected of seeding the earth was really interesting. They do look like exact copies of the moon! How strange! This was so good I thought I should did it back up and comment. Thanks!

top topics

join