It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DVD Sent to Mars????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Monday, May 19, 2008

Scientists are sending a DVD to Mars. It is due to arrive on the surface of the Red Planet on May 25, which is next Sunday.

Now hang on a minute, I hear you ask. What if Martians don't have a DVD player? What if they are still using video tapes? What if they haven't progressed past Super 8 movie reels?

Well, scientists have taken that into account. The DVD is made of tough stuff that will make it playable for at least 500 years, which they reckon should be enough time even for the most primitive form of life, such as a single-cell bacterium or an American Idol judge, to build a DVD player.

Now I know you think I am making this up, but I'm not. They really have sent a DVD 680 million kilometers to Mars.

Scientists spent months making the disk, which opens with a greeting to Martians. "Let me introduce myself to you," it says.

"I am Peter Smith, the principal investigator of the Phoenix mission funded by NASA. My father, Hugh Smith, was born in 1902, an era when there was no radio or recorded music or television."

I'm not exactly sure why it starts with this statement, but I suspect Smith believes the sympathetic Martians will immediately use some form of Intergalactic Paypal to help with his funding challenges.

Smith then admits that Martians might not be able to understand the disk. "We will have no common language," he says, in the language that they cannot understand. This reminds me of the safety card on airlines which says: "If you cannot read this, notify the flight attendant."

Also on the disk is the radio version of HG Wells' War of the Worlds, a story in which Martians try to take over the planet Earth, but are defeated.

I can only deduce that this has been cleverly included to stop them trying to do the same thing again. "Curses!" the Martians will say. "Apparently we tried to invade them before but we failed."

There are also messages from dead humans. There is an interview with my old friend the late Arthur C Clarke, filmed at his home in Sri Lanka.

And there's a message from the late science writer Carl Sagan. He recorded it at his beautiful house in Ithaca, New York, which is famed for its 60-meter waterfall.

Sagan greets the Martians and says: "Maybe you can hear in the background a 200-foot tall waterfall, which is probably, I would guess, a rarity on Mars."

Sagan is on pretty safe ground making such a claim, as there is no water on Mars. One wonders what was going through his mind when he chose to make this statement. "If people on earth are green with jealousy about my 200-foot waterfall, what about those poor schmucks on Mars, who don't even have running water?!"

The latest space probes have reported that Mars is basically a large, icy plain with virtually no signs of intelligent life. No, wait, that's Canada.

But Mars sounds pretty much the same as Canada, only with better nightlife.

Anyway, the DVD will arrive on the Red Planet at the weekend. I suspect pirate copies will be on sale in most Asian cities by Friday night.

If you think that DVD sounds dull, check out the stuff at our columnist's home: www.vittachi.com

Erm Can anyone shed some light on this? unfortunately I am at work and managed to "squeeze" this topic in. Please be gentle as this is my first ever thread.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   

The Phoenix DVD

Attached to the deck of the lander is "The Phoenix DVD",[35] compiled by the Planetary Society. The disc contains Visions of Mars,[36] a multimedia collection of literature and art about the Red Planet. Works include the text of H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds (and its infamous radio broadcast by Orson Welles), Percival Lowell's Mars as the Abode of Life with a map of his proposed canals, Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles, and Kim Stanley Robinson's Green Mars. There are also messages directly addressed to future Martian visitors or settlers from, among others, Carl Sagan and Arthur C. Clarke. In the Fall of 2006, The Planetary Society collected a quarter million names submitted through the internet and placed them on the disc, which claims, on the front, to be "the first library on Mars".

Wiki

I apologise if this has already been posted .

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
This isn't the first time they've done this. they did it with the Mars rovers.

My RL name is on one of the disks they sent the first time round

Had to do it.. Can say I've been to Mars or am on Mars.. but more than likely I was just trying to get back home piece by piece...

You can go to Mars

Thrre and a half million names

Kind of a cool thing.. not much to write home about though.... but how many people do you know that can say their on Mars?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
war of the worlds is such crap.
big sociological test if you ask me.

aliens advanced enough for interplanetary travel, pick a planet inhabited by DIRTY aggressive intelligent life.. and they didn't even CONSIDER the viral or microbial issues..... riiiiiiight.

I think it's complete double-talk.

The REAL message is... that's ALL aliens would HAVE to do ...
release SUPER NASTY resistant microbes.

save them the hassle of strolling along in clumsy tripod walking machines..pecking off screaming humans everywhere.

douuuubbbllllle talk.
double your pleasure double your fun.

-

[edit on 19-5-2008 by prevenge]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I thought the disc was a unique way to publicize a mission among the general public.
I submitted my fathers name and my own to be put on this disc and printed off the certificate to send to my dad. He really got a kick out of the fact that his name would be sitting on Mars long after he had passed away.

There have been several of the publicity stunts to get people interested in different missions. I added our names to the copper impactor that plowed into an asteroid a while back. The disc was on the nose of the massive bullet that blew a hole in the space rock and all the names were vaporized on impact.

Our names also sit on the surface of the moon attached to a lander, but I forget what that mission was about.

All just fun stuff that has encouraged me to have more interest in what NASA is doing.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
My name is on one of those discs also, alongwith my wife and
our daughters. I guess having our names on the planet is sort
of cool, at least that is what I thought when I submitted our names
and got a receipt to show so. Just a fun thing I suppose. I would
like to know oneday if someone actually will read those names
on Mars. Who will do that? Won't they get tired of reading those
names after say, oh maybe 100,000 or so?

ZOOMER

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Yeah it is a bit of fun and does look like a publicity stunt.

But why?

Surely it must cost them more than it would have not to have set the idea and process up in the first place.

But, hey, who am I to complain

My name's on Mars and i own 4 acres of the moon too

www.moonestates.com...

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
OH NO Extraalien !! They sold me the same 4 acres. What
should we do? Should we split it up into 1 acre parcels and
get out from under all of this? I was hoping to visit my plot
of land one day, but I would be trespassing on your property.

ZOOMER

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
LOL..

We could just take all the moon for ourselves and claim squatters rights..

As much as it could be a huge scam, it might just pay off to for us one day..or whoever we pass the deeds onto...

I think you can also buy up bits of the other planets too...

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Good thread, Chip. We all need to remember that while exploring space is a serious business, the love of life, and the humor we humans share, is also important.

While some may see this thread as trivializing the seriousness of the Space Exploration Forum, I find it refreshing. Every once in a while we need to realize that fun is part of the reason we are here looking at all the possibilities.

A star and a flag.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I missed out on the whole DVD thing... Maybe I will catch the next one...

But I am claiming ownership of Ceres. It is not a planet or a moon by definition of the claims in 1980 and I have squatters rights until I file due process

[edit on 19-5-2008 by Foxe]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
[edit on 19-5-2008 by Astyanax]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I think it goes to show astrophysicists and mission control types are not just horse blinder plaid pant wearing nerds. They have a playful side as well. I hope they included some Hendrix.

Was thinking of the golden ship but Bowies space odyssey would be more fitting.

[edit on 5/19/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hendrix???

Nah...David Bowie...

"There's a star man waiting in the sky...."

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I think I almost got in on that same tract on the moon. Glad I passed on that, because a 3-way split of 4 acres wouldnt do my dream habitat justice.

I agree that it is fun to feel like you are somehow part of cosmic research and exploration. The celestial land tracts, star registry, SETI project, names library...all good fun. On some level, I feel like I have been just a tiniest piece of the big picture and somehow donated. Perhaps, when the Greys invade and take over, they will pull out the dvd and spare all of their new friends the embaracement of slavery.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Well, if the Martians are mad about us crashing all kinds of stuff on their planet and digging holes in it and constantly peeking in their windows, they'll have the names of all the people they'll need to see when they get here.

top topics

join