It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study says global warming not worsening hurricanes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Study says global warming not worsening hurricanes

news.yahoo.com

Global warming isn't to blame for the recent jump in hurricanes in the Atlantic, concludes a study by a prominent federal scientist whose position has shifted on the subject.
Not only that, warmer temperatures will actually reduce the number of hurricanes in the Atlantic and those making landfall, research meteorologist Tom Knutson reported in a study released Sunday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
HA! I love when these "government" scientists and policy makers see that science, not public opinion, will vindicate those of us that refuse to worship in the House of Gore.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   

"I think global warming is a big concern, but when it comes to hurricanes the evidence for changes is pretty darn tiny," Landsea said.

It's just that we have been seeing lots of debates on this site derailed by false claims that things like hurricanes have been caused by human activity.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

I live in Florida, basicaly one of the big bullseye targets for hurricanes. The thing that amazes me most about people is their short term thinking. Yes, over the last ten or so years we have had bad hurricanes.
Most likely by the time my kids start posting on a version of ATS they'll have completly forgotten about Ivan and Katrina, and new storms will be blamed on HAARP or the end times or whatever.
Y'see, the thing is that during the early 1900's, we had bad storms. Really bad storms, the one that hit Florida was probably worse than IVan. The one that hit New York and erased Pig Island was probably worse than Katrina.
But human memory and sense of guilt or responsibility, or whatever you want to call it, considers these more recent storms to be more important and our fault.
I dunno, maybe it's some need to feel we affect something greater than ourselves, but it makes us seem fool

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

What a great response! I myself grew up for part of my life in Gulf Shores and Mobile, AL. I Have long lamented the short term thinking that is applied to the whole "global warming" phenomena. Just like economics and this housing market slump, people forget the same things were happening, and has happened many times before. I know that in the mid-eighties, and the early nineties there were housing slumps. In the eighties, there were many who worried about the Japanese buying up all the property in the U.S. Also, I remember the banking scandals, not to mention the thousands like it in our countries short history. My point being, I think people fail to see the long term picture in many of these crisis, including the war on terror.
Should we clean up our environment and have energy independence. Yes.
Should we waste Billions of dollars in the process. No.
Should we be lied to about the extent of global warming just to meet better environmental standards? NO!
Should we be forced into treaties that hurt our economy while doing little to address real change? HELL NO!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I am guilty of giving this thread a boost, due to the time the thread was posted, and the fact that I wanted to give the east coast ATSers a chance to comment if they wanted, on another debunking of Al Gore's message. In fact a central picture highlighted in his "An inconvenient truth" was the image and inferred message that hurricanes are gaining in strength due to Global warming...

[edit on 19-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Should we clean up our environment and have energy independence. Yes.
Should we waste Billions of dollars in the process. No.
Should we be lied to about the extent of global warming just to meet better environmental standards? NO!
Should we be forced into treaties that hurt our economy while doing little to address real change? HELL NO!

If it cost billions of dollars to do it, would it be a waste, or a spend, or an investment?

Should we be lied to about the extent of global warming minimizing its impact just to avoid accountability?

Should we over emphasize or lie about the impact of treaties on our economy while ignoring the benefit to green industry?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by wytworm

Normaly I hate being lied to, but I can understand the why behind this. I picked up a issue of Pop Mechanics the other day, and it showed the new enviromentaly green machines coming out over the next fifty years. Planes, cars, boats, ect. The fact is that people don't really change that easy. Under normal instances it'd have taken many more years to start working on green energy, alternative fuels, stuff like that. The panic of Global Warming jump started the studies.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
If you read more sources on this you will find that the report actually says that there will be fewer hurricanes but that these will be stronger and wetter.

top topics

join