It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

gigantic cigar shaped UFO, video

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by oneangrymonk

Both the Salida witnesses state the object was in the same general direction as the sun. So to assess your sighting it might help to know time of day, date, and then an astronomy program can calculate the direction and elevation of the sun. But was the image in the same general direction as the sun like in Salida?

Also, the image of the mirage will appear much closer than the body of water. In the case of Salida, there appear to be 2 "reflections", one off the body of water, the river, which is more distant than the object, and another "pseudo-reflection" that's actually a refraction of that reflected image, on a temperature inversion layer in the atmosphere. How much further the body of water would be than the object would depend on the height of the temperature inversion, but the body of water could be twice as far, or more, or less. But it needs to be more distant in the case of Salida, so the water would not be directly under the sighting. Also note that it's nearly impossible to estimate the size and distance of any unknown object in the sky without reference points.

But I don't know enough details about your sighting yet to assess if it may have been a mirage or not. If the sun and the cigar shaped object were in opposite directions, it's certainly not what happened in Salida where they were roughly in the same direction per both witnesses. Your photoshop image bears a resemblance however, it's an interesting image.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
thanks I'm checking out a sun position calculator now. (edit) The sun was behind me - from the calculator 09:45 100° 38°

two days (9/12/2008) later my spouse and I saw two military helicopters, either the huey or apache in the same area. I haven't seen them in the air before and would have hated to be their target. Those things are intimidating!

[edit on 26-10-2009 by oneangrymonk]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

This explanation does have some traction. Whether right or wrong applause for the effort.

I recall reading once of a temperature inversion mirage of such detail that individual fields could be resolved of French countryside from England, a distance of 20 + miles (I believe in fact that the report referred to individual horses being able to be seen).

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by chunder

Thanks chunder. I find that not many people are really that familiar with temperature inversions so this is not one of the explanations they would readily think of after a sighting like this. But I'm impressed the UFO researcher in the video Internos posted at least thought of the "weather-related" explanation, which fits the temperature inversion.

While I'm not 100% sure of the temperature inversion explanation myself (maybe only 98%), every other explanation I look at doesn't seem to fit the facts of the case as well, so I'd give it a high probability of being the correct explanation, though it's not certain.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

the revenge of the temperature inversions...

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
A Potato-shaped UFO flying near San Acacio, Colorado, USA.

Not cigar but in Colorado.
And a UFO.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join