It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have shin splints

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Yes, that's right you read it so... What am I going to do! I got these muscle relaxers from the doc. They take you for quite a spin. I'm having a hard time lifting my fingers. Shin splints suck though really bad.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
at least you have shins, when i was in the war in vietnam, my shins were taken by a grey in a mariachi suit. Now everytime I hear the national anthem i get ghost pains in my non shins. Try taking muscle relaxers for those bitches.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I found if you wrap your leggs real tight with ace bandages you can aliveate the pain. I used to get shin splints awefull bad in high school. what I would do is put a ruler on the shin and wrap it real tight with an ace bandage.

Hope that helps ya out. As for the pain killers. I ain't too fond of pharmas cause of the addictive side to em so I usually use mild stuff like tylenol or excedrine migrane for pain.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by USMC-oorah
I'm having a hard time lifting my fingers.

You say shin splints yet you say you're having a hard time lifting your fingers.

My understanding of shin splints is that the pain is generally in the lower leg and can cause tingling in the associated foot or pain into the knee if the cause is muscular or ligature over extension/stress.

If this is effecting your hands you may need a re diagnosis looking for other causes such as arthritis, carpel tunnel syndrome, fibromyalgia/ fibromyositis, etc....

Blood flow is extremely important to the healing process so I don't recommend tightly wrapping the affected area with ace bandages. Yes, it can provide temporary relief, but on the other hand, it will slow the time required for proper healing.

Try several analgesics to see if one works better than the other for you. No sense in being loopy off of something your doctor prescribed if ordinary Aspirin 500 mg, or Ibprofin 400 - 600 mg will do the job of reducing the pain and not make your head wonky. You might also want to try Acetaminophen with Codeine that you can get from the pharmacists without a prescription.

Just keep in mind that medical advice over the internet is worth about as much as you paid for it, not much. Use common sense and see a properly qualified doctor. And please don't mix your current medication with other pain killers from the pharmacy, it could cause unwanted side effects or an unintentional over dose that will do more harm than good.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

[edit on 19/5/2008 by anxietydisorder]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
oh you are right anxiety, don't keep it wrapped up like that for a long time but if you have to do anything exercive this can help.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The hard time lifting the fingers was more of a joke to the side effect of the muscle relaxers ha ha. I stretched them extensively after my first workout after recovery, I was taking anti inflams, and getting lots of good ol' R&R. I was out of the gym for ten days and I just got back today. During those ten days is when I went to a doctor. He prescribed me those muscle relaxers and anti inflams! Luckily everything was doing good at the gym today! My Muay Thai coach just taught me some stretches that he swears by. Hopefully I don't get them again any time soon! I'm going to be taking warm soothing baths after each workout for a while. I've got a fight coming up soon and I need to be all perky on my feet lol. Thanks for the advice buddys!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
edit: double post.. don't know why!

[edit on 19-5-2008 by USMC-oorah]

new topics

top topics

join