It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This just shows the ignorance of the American people

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Shoktek you're right, there is always more of a problem then just a kid wanting to smoke weed. And the issue then is what do you do with this kid. The answer to that is give him the help he needs. Maybe a 13 year old doesn't belong in rehab like a typical drug addict. Maybe someone of that age would do better in some kind of family therapy to have his family get more involved, or maybe the kid needs someone in one of those big-brother big-sister programs to meet with them once in a while. Each of the cases is different, but all of them have one single common element. In all of them, whether it's drugs, guns, or whatever, there is definitely a problem there. I'm not going to get into the debate of legalizing marijuana, but for people to bring it to school and use it or sell it in school is unacceptable by any standards.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by EliteXizer
Look at this poll... the American people are displaying their true stupidity here. They are okay with freedoms and rights being taken away by Bush.
pub.alxnet.com...

This is a poll my newspaper is holding (www.cnjonline.com). Look at the results.
Keep in mind I proxy voted about 5 votes for "No".

What a bunch of dumbasses.

Ok, when I went to the site there was a total of 125 votes, as of 11:45 EST 3-2-4. For you to say that 125 people speak for the rest of America would kinda make you the dumbass.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by REASON
the drug situation is very bad in detroit.....

Detroit is the US murder capitol at the moment and alot of the violence has to do with the "Drug Trail", Manufaturing ,distribution, and comsumption.

How is trying to solve a problem being ignorant?

Actually, do they drug test in Detroit schools? More like they are glad when the kids even show up!
I live in metro Detroit and don't remember hearing about the horrible drug problem on the news. Now, it could be they don't tell about it on the news. But I really wonder how many of the users bother to attend?
There seems to be a lack of interest in the education of Detroit's children.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
how many addicts do you know that would react well for getting kicked out of school because something they cant control... people resort to drugs because they have nothing better todo in my opinion. Give the kids something todo... create hobbies. Parents need to praise childrens hobbies no matter how silly they think they are.. and they will keep kids off drugs.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Parenting keeps kids off drugs.

Therein lies the problem. Parenting.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Parenting keeps kids off drugs.

Therein lies the problem. Parenting.

yes there you go hit it right on the head. You can trace just about every longterm problem back to your parents... I jumped off the roof when I was little when my mom was out, I've have a messed up back ever since. Kids do drugs either to escape to something better than a messed up reality or to fit in, but it is usaly the first. I'm not a firm beliver in "peer-presure"

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wgatenson

Look at this poll... the American people are displaying their true stupidity here. They are okay with freedoms and rights being taken away by Bush.
pub.alxnet.com...

This is a poll my newspaper is holding (www.cnjonline.com). Look at the results.

Ok, when I went to the site there was a total of 125 votes, as of 11:45 EST 3-2-4. For you to say that 125 people speak for the rest of America would kinda make you the dumbass.

It's an average, child.

When they say things like "70% of Americans are fat" it's more of an estimate. Do you honestly think they assess about 300,000,000 people?

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wgatenson

pub.alxnet.com...

It's an average, child.

When they say things like "70% of Americans are fat" it's more of an estimate. Do you honestly think they assess about 300,000,000 people?

I am sorry if I offended you or your little paper. I do realize that it is an average, BUT, to say "The American People" feel a certant way about something after asking only 125 people, well margin of error could be like +/- 45%. You can't count a poll of 125 people as a "voice" of the nation.

[Edited on 3-3-2004 by Wgatenson]

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
1. 150 votes means nothing. C'mon. It is no indication of "Americans."
2. Drugs in school is a problem, but not a problem that will be fixed by testing.
3. Drug testing may be an encroachment on freedom, but to pin it on Bush is naive. There are so many organizations in "Government" and so many people at so many levels with so many ideas that the notion that the Pres. (any) can or does direct everything in government is ridiculous. This doesn't mean Bush didn't push for this or want this. I just challenge the notion that he could really control the implementation anyway, especially regarding education (but that's a different thread).
41. Mozilla is the best browser. It is what I always use. No popups, fake personal and browser info, lots of refused cookies.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
150 votes does not mean anything. But that is the usual practice of most news sources isn't it? Look at any poll conducted by so-called authorities like Quinnipiac and Zogby. "In this poll of 117 likely voters blah blah leads by 40%." How can anyone consider that representative of the opinion of the general public? Last I checked we had a few more than 117 likely voters in this country.

As for parenting... yes, you're right parenting is the real way to avoid problems like drugs and violence in school. Parenting is also the real way to control all other problems that lazy stupid parents throw at the government. Kids aren't fat and violent because of the shows on TV and the candy and fatty foods they eat. They're fat and violent because their parents gladly look the other way while they watch shows that aren't meant for them and eat food that could kill a horse.

It's the same thing with the issue in this thread. Maybe if parents would spend more time raising their kids instead of dropping them down in front of the TV 24/7 which helps them get role models like professional athletes and entertainers who abuse drugs, rape women, and think they are untouchable... maybe if parents actually cared about their children (who are impressionable) getting positive role models like community activists, educators, firefighters, whatever... this would not be a problem. Kids think "gangsters" are cool and want to be like them. That is the problem. Conscious parenting would end that.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join