It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines Exceed Recruiting Goal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Marines Exceed Recruiting Goal

kgmb9.com

Leadership skills, pride, self-direction, discipline," he said.

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan plus anti-war sentiment have worked against military recruiting in recent years. To counter it the Corps added recruiters and hit the ground running. Lopez has been a recruiter for six years. He said the job's become full-service.

"When they're in boot camp they're writing us letters. We're writing them letters back through different phases in training. Parents are calling us while they're in training. We're the middle man," he said.

Some military analysts believe recruiting may be easier in a down economy. So far this year all branches of service have seen a spike.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com
www.timesonline.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Harper announces new military strategy

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Well. This is a good thing and a bad thing.

The good thing is that you will not get a better education then through the U.S. Marines.

The bad thing is that are the "Big Players" manipulating the economy so the poor may feel that this is there out?

Like the bluesman sings " I've been down so goddamn long, that it looks like up to me"

kgmb9.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-5-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
From my own biased experience, the USMC hasn't had too much trouble meeting or exceeding it's recruiting goals. In my 5 years in, there were so many new kids coming in that re-upping was pretty difficult.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kelbtalfenek

This shows the quality of training that goes into the US MARINES!

All sectors are up though....why would someone want to join the Army or Navy when you have the Marines?

A poor economy drives recruiting though. A good thing or a bad thing?

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven
reply to post by kelbtalfenek

All sectors are up though....why would someone want to join the Army or Navy when you have the Marines?

That's precisely the argument my recruiter used to have me sign the paperwork! LOL!

But yes, the military has been seen by some as one of the last "hopes" of the poor and disenfranchised.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The marines have always had the reputation of being bad-assed. Plus the discipline and comraderie is actually appealing to many youth who may dream of being part of something bigger than themselves. I think it's a good trend, whether or not you believe in the elites misuse of our armed forces.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I graduated from H.S. in 94. I started going to community college and ended up failing so many courses due to a smoky haze that in 96 I decided to join the military. I am glad now that I did but at the time it was due to having nowhere else to go. My parents told me to get out and that was where I went. Now, 12 years later after 8 years of service I know it was the right move. 2 branches of service, a bachelors in MIS paid for and alot of good experience. Sure there were some horrible parts to it and deployment was never fun but now I have a wife, make decent money and learned some good life lessons.

The current economy is a setup for recruitment. Most parents are going to have a hard time paying for college and what kind of a job will a H.S. education get you. That 15,000-45,000 for college after you serve looks real good to alot of people. Even if you can get your degree, you might have a really hard time getting a job after and end up an officer. The military sometimes seems the easy way out. Guess what, there's nothing easy about living in a combat zone. And there's nothing easy about having yourself completely changed inside and out.

Just my 2 cents.

new topics

top topics

join