It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saturn Photo - WOW

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Original Caption Released with Image:
The narrow angle camera onboard the Cassini spacecraft took a series of exposures of Saturn and its rings and moons on February 9, 2004, which were composited to create this stunning, color image. At the time, Cassini was 69.4 million kilometers (43.1 million miles) from Saturn, less than half the distance from Earth to the Sun. The image contrast and colors have been slightly enhanced to aid visibility. The smallest features visible in this image are approximately 540 kilometers across (336 miles).

Fine details in the rings and atmosphere are beginning to emerge, and will grow in sharpness and clarity over the coming months. The optical thickness of Saturn's B (middle) ring and the comparative translucence of the A (outer) ring, when seen against the planet, are now apparent. Subtle color differences in the finely banded Saturnian atmosphere, as well as structure within the diaphanous, inner C ring can be easily seen. Noticeably absent are the ghostly spoke-like dark markings in Saturn's B ring, first discovered by NASA's Voyager spacecraft on approach to the planet 23 years ago.

The icy moon Enceladus (520 kilometers or 323 miles across) is faintly visible on the left in the image. Its brightness has been increased seven times relative to the planet. Cassini will make several very close approaches to Enceladus, returning images in which features as small as 50 meters (165 feet) or less will be detectable.

The composite image signals the start of Cassini's final approach to the ringed planet and the beginning of monitoring and data collection on Saturn and its environment. This phase of the mission will continue until Cassini enters orbit around Saturn on July 1, 2004. The Cassini-Huygens mission is a cooperative project of NASA, the European Space Agency and the Italian Space Agency. The Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, manages the Cassini mission for NASA's Office of Space Science, Washington, D.C.

For more information, see the Cassini home page, saturn.jpl.nasa.gov... and the Cassini imaging team home page, ciclops.org.... The imaging team is based at the Space Science Institute, Boulder, Colo.
Image Credit:
NASA/JPL/Space Science Institute
Image Note:
SatC42d040p0_FINAL

Pretty cool, huh?

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
WOW, STUNNING!!!!! It's so beautiful it almost looks fake. I'm sure it's real though.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
i just looked at this earlier today, its pretty cool

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
that's awesome. now i REALLY can't wait for cassini to get closer. great find!

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mandalorianwarrior
WOW, STUNNING!!!!! It's so beautiful it almost looks fake. I'm sure it's real though.

well the image is a composite, and the brightness of the moon has been manipulated to make it visible in the image, but I don't care.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Awesome pic.

Cant wait to see more.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I wont be picky either. I'm glad that they explain all the little things behind the photo. It's cool to see how they can inhance our viewing it. It's also good to know that they are being open about the facts.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark

Originally posted by Mandalorianwarrior

well the image is a composite, and the brightness of the moon has been manipulated to make it visible in the image, but I don't care.

Uh that little spec is a moon? Kinda close.

Wonder if that ring is chemtrails?

LOL! its okay Howard, I'm just pulling your chain man.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
THENEO... the moon is Enceladus, and it's actueally pretty far out.

EDIT: it says the name of the moon in the article.

[Edited on 2/29/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
That's an awesome picture of Saturn.

One of the best I've ever seen.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Thats an awesome picture. Someone told me that Saturn, if put into a larg pool of water would float. I wonder. Sure is a great pic.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
that pic is so secksi

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
THENEO... the moon is Enceladus, and it's actueally pretty far out.

EDIT: it says the name of the moon in the article.

[Edited on 2/29/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

Well since there is several moons I was not aware. I believe there are small moons too for saturn if I am not correct. But I did not read the story as you can tell.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
It kinda makes me wish I had an alien spacecraft to fly around in. Damn government, keeping all the good technology, only giving us the George Foreman Grill! I want a spaceship dammit!

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
That's an amazing picture. Absolutely beautiful.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Does anyone know if they will be a lot closer? I have heard some far out ideas of craft that reside in the rings and mine the rock contained therein.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotTooHappy
It kinda makes me wish I had an alien spacecraft to fly around in. Damn government, keeping all the good technology, only giving us the George Foreman Grill! I want a spaceship dammit!

you could always just buy a telescope... and i mean a good one, not one that you would buy at target or walmart. or if you live near a college or university with an observatory call them up, nearly all have open viewing nights.

Originally posted by THENEO
Well since there is several moons I was not aware. I believe there are small moons too for saturn if I am not correct. But I did not read the story as you can tell.

there are serveral moons. the coolest in my opion are the shepherd moons that guide the formation of the rings. saturn's f-ring is braided due to them. it's beautiful

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
very interesting picture, will be very cool to see what the closer pictures will look like.

[Edited on 29-2-2004 by CaptainMooPoo]

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainMooPoo
what is that white spec? a star or perhaps a UFO?

R.T.F.P.

The icy moon Enceladus (520 kilometers or 323 miles across) is faintly visible on the left in the image. Its brightness has been increased seven times relative to the planet. Cassini will make several very close approaches to Enceladus, returning images in which features as small as 50 meters (165 feet) or less will be detectable.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I agree!

Oh, we are talking about Tetsuo's and Not Too Happy's avatars right???

Hot, but within the guidelines...

Absolutely beautiful pics of Saturn, and they'll only get better....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join